"A Very Brady Musical" to Premiere in Los Angeles

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
FROM PLAYBILL.COM:

www.averybradymusical.com

Proving that yesterday's earnest, innocuous family sitcom is today's jokey grown-up musical comedy, A Very Brady Musical — a new satire based on TV's "Brady Bunch" — will make its world premiere in Los Angeles June 6-July 20.

The show bowing at Theatre West has book by Lloyd J. Schwartz and Hope Juber, music and lyrics by Hope Juber and Laurence Juber. Schwartz will direct. It's based on the TV series that was created by Sherwood Schwartz — Hope and Lloyd's dad.

According to the producers, here's the story: "Through a misunderstanding, the Brady kids overhear a loud argument between their usually perfectly-in-love parents. The kids think their parents might be heading for a divorce and dig in to raise money to obtain marriage counseling for their woe-stricken parents. Greg operates a car service; Marcia dates for money; Peter and Jan put on magic shows; and Bobby and Cindy look for money in couches. Did you ever imagine what the Bradys' might look like in a holding cell at the local police station? Somehow even Alice gets in some legal trouble for fraud.

"All the while Mike and Carol are desperately trying to have sex, something they have never done since they've always had six kids in the house and have never had any alone time."

The plot is grown-up, "so leave the young kids at home," and witness "a great evening of reliving some special Brady moments that you secretly wished had happened."

Sherwood Schwartz, who also created the TV classic "Gilligan's Island" (which was also made into a stage musical), created the original "Brady Bunch" series. He is executive producing A Very Brady Musical.

The project is a real family affair: The show's director and co-writer, Lloyd Schwartz, is Sherwood's son and business partner; Hope Juber is Sherwood's daughter, married to co-writer Laurence Juber (a one-time guitarist for Paul McCartney in Wings); Lloyd's wife, Barbara Mallory, will play Carol and is also associate producing the show.

The cast also includes John Cygan as Mike; Paul Denniston and Erin Holt as Greg and Marcia; Elliot Kevin Schwartz and Laura Marion as Peter and Jan; Adam Conger and Kelly Stables as Bobby and Cindy; Kathy Garrick as Alice plus Matthew Hoffman, Selah Victor, Lou Briggs and Mary Garripoli.

A Very Brady Musical is produced by David P. Johnson, Matthew Hoffman and Bonnie Kalisher, and presented by Theatre West in association with Redwood Productions. Theatre West executive director is John Gallogly.

"Since the five-year run of the landmark original series, 'The Brady Bunch' has blossomed into a variety series, a cartoon series, three movies of the week, a dramatic series, a three-camera comedy show, a reality series, and two feature films," according to production notes. "It has enjoyed a run on every television network and numerous cable stations and has been seen in some form in the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s and still runs in syndication."

The Paramount sitcom focused on what today would be called a "blended" family: A widower (played by Robert Reed) with three sons marries a widow (played by Florence Henderson) with three daughters — and hijinx ensue." The CBS sitcom ran 1969-74, and blossomed in syndicated reruns. "A Very Brady Christmas" was one of the spin-off shows, a TV movie about the family reuniting.

The musical's creative team includes choreographer Paul Denniston, designers Richard DeSiato, Daniel Keough and Joseph M. Altadonna and production stage manager Dale A. Cooke.

Theatre West is located at 3333 Cahuenga Blvd. West, in Los Angeles.

For more information call (323) 851-7977 or visit www.theatrewest.org or www.averybradymusical.com.

Another Paramount sitcom from the '70s is a stage musical this year: Happy Days — The Musical will play Goodspeed Opera House following earlier developmental productions. A separate national tour of it will criss-cross the country in 2008-09.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess they ran out of movies to make into musicals and are going straight to TV shows. Meh. Wake me up when the Seinfeld Musical gets produced.

I have to be the only one in the universe that thinks Brady bunch is the most overrated sitcom of all time. Gimme Honeymooners and Get Smart anyday.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess they ran out of movies to make into musicals and are going straight to TV shows. Meh. Wake me up when the Seinfeld Musical gets produced.
I agree and I think that would wake me up if they make a musical based on that show!:sleep:-:eek:

I have to be the only one in the universe that thinks Brady bunch is the most overrated sitcom of all time. Gimme Honeymooners and Get Smart anyday.
Funny thing is is it didn't really get popular until after it's cancellation.:smirk: