Traditional Animation: The Return

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I know. It was Eisner at the helm.:smirk:
And yet, Eisner was around for the release of TLM, B&tB, and others. Then again, so was Roy Disney--decendant of the original, who was brother to "Uncle Walt" himself--and when Roy quit (technically, he was canned, but decided to quit before the execs in charge put the final nail in the career coffin), the company just become nothing more than a money-demanding juggernaut. Basically, Eisner was to Disney what Vince Russo is to pro wrestling: Without someone to watch them (Eisner had Roy & Russo had McMahon during his Attitude Era tenure), they write drivel (A lot of works at Disney following Eisner's full rise to power & Russo tenure in WCW and nowadays within TNA).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
And yet, Eisner was around for the release of TLM, B&tB, and others.
I know! He the guy responsible for restoring Disney's animation franchise witch I respect him for.It's not that I don't like him. I just wonder what happened?:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eisner is a complexity to me. He wasn't great for Disney near the end, but he helped revitalize the company when he first got on board. Without him, we wouldn't have had the new animated movies that brought them back on top in the 90's. Nor, would we have the wonderful Disney Afternoon, which revitalized their TV animation house.

It was only approaching the new millenium (and further after) where things really soured. Poor choices for movies, the overexposure of Pooh... and of course the eventual blanketting of obvious lame tweencom shows.... of course, The Pooh thing and the tweencoms are just as bad as ever with the new guy....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The overexposure of Pooh
But my namesake was best--in all honest opinion--when in cartoon form (whether it be the 70's shorts [three of which became a feature film] & the New Adventures animated series) & when Christopher Robin was still a prominant figure in the franchise (i.e. once the puppet-made Book of Pooh ended--wherein we only saw Christopher's arm & heard his tween-age voice--the direction of the Pooh franchise floundered, moreover because of the new audience for the bear & the still-brewing lawsuit between the corporate suits at Disney, the Sleishingers--who are the American distributors of the Pooh products--who want their share of whatever profit is being made, and the future line of Milne relatives that demand the franchise return to what made it great [i.e. Clare Milne; A. A. Milne's grand-daughter and Christopher Robin Milne's daughter, who knows that it is not the departure of her father's younger self as a central character that ruined the franchise--considering her now-late father was trying vainly anyway to distance himself from his boyhood past, only to ultimately fail miserably at it--but moreover it was the radical change in the Pooh premise that basically altered everything & turned people off from the franchise]).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On Eisner
Eisner is responsible for revitalizing Disney and strengthening the brand into finely tuned corporate machine in the 80s. He encouraged the best out of the parks, television, live action film and finally - animation. However it was not Eisner that put the shine on the animation division - he simply afforded Katzenberg (initially an executive ignorant about the world of animation) the opportunity to do so. Katzenberg sort of lucked out in finding the right mix for the Little Mermaid and things took off from there. Eisner eventually sought corporate ways to exploit the properties as much as possible as he did in other areas of Disney. That logic may have worked for the parks or television ventures and the home video cheapquels certainly raked in the green, but eventually it tarnished the very Disney image that had been restored under his reign. Ultimately he did not understand what made the animation division of Disney so special and dismantled it. Apparently Eisner felt that Mickey, Donald, Ariel and company were like Coca-Cola; the company owns the rights and the formula to be bottled and produced elsewhere on the cheap. He didn't see Disney Animation as the heart and soul of the Walt Disney Company. :sympathy:

On Christopher Robin
Pooh does lose something without Christopher Robin to play off of. At least Disney hasn't made an updated Hip-Hop version of him...yet. :coy:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Like I said:

Clare Milne; A. A. Milne's grand-daughter and Christopher Robin Milne's daughter, who knows that it is not the departure of her father's younger self as a central character that ruined the franchise [...] moreover it was the radical change in the Pooh premise that basically altered everything & turned people off from the franchise.

And right on the...well...money with that comment about Mike Eisner--and Bob Igor in his stead, nowadays--thinking Mickey & company are just meant to be sold for cheap.

Heck, for all we know (considering how--sadly--many of us are ignorant of how things work in the world), that could've been how the Hamas organization was able to round up a Mickey rip-off for their brainwashing, terrorist garbage a few years back, because--as some say--the love of money (i.e. being greedy with your assets and not using them wisely) is the root of all evil and considering corporate execs love money more than anything apparently, what does that make them in the long run, especially given that these finanical backers are probably even within the lot to cast a blind eye when some of our very own supposed-to-be-respected troops tortured innocent people for information?

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
LOL, Bob "Igor", friggin' hilarious man.

Just really looking forward to The Princess and the Frog and the Rapunzel flick by Keane, THE MAN.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I love Pooh, everything from the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, to Pooh Corner and before...Of course, my favorite character has always been Rabbit, even if he was just imaginary :wink:.

I hope the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh are put out on DVD boxsets someday...I miss them :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I love Pooh, everything from the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, to Pooh Corner and before...Of course, my favorite character has always been Rabbit, even if he was just imaginary :wink:.

I hope the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh are put out on DVD boxsets someday...I miss them :frown:
Me too, but as long as Darby and crew have a hold on the Pooh product, there's probably little to no chance of NA coming to full DVD form.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, basically besides buying up Pixar, what has the new guy done that's so great? Mickey, Goofy and Donald are basically just made for a lousy kids show, and everything else is exploiting the heck out of tweencoms. At the risk of sounding cynic, how's that any different?