Breaking news! New Electric Company Series from PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I missed the boat too, because it had already sailed before I was born. So hopefully, this revival is done right.

Though as heralde said in another thread that ought to be combined with this one:

I hope this means that--as AM said--the show isn't modernized too much. :frown:
Well it probably will be modernized and I think we best just get use to it and not be complaining about it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't mind if they bring in newer technology and all, to not do so would be silly. But ultimately, it won't matter how modern a show looks, if it doesn't have decent content. That's what will ultimately make the difference.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well it probably will be modernized and I think we best just get use to it and not be complaining about it.
So disliking the direction of TV in general is complaining now? All I thought it was voicing a viewpoint.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Though, quick question: are they still making Reading Rainbow, or showing the same old 15-year-old reruns?
The latest episodes I've sen so far are from 2005. But Levar Burton said the he was quitting the show after 26 years on the air due to disagreements with the new production company that took over the show.

“It’s the old one mixed with ‘High School Musical’ and a Dr Pepper commercial,”
There not serious are they? *Sigh* I will give it a chance anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
“It’s the old one mixed with ‘High School Musical’ and a Dr Pepper commercial,”
Where the heck is this quote? Sounds rediculous, though...

I wouldn't rule out something using HSM as a satirical tool. A Parody or something like that. This program will reflect the times as clearly as TEC reflected the 70's and Square One reflected the 80's. So, I wouldn't rule out references to things like that, but mostly in a satirical light.

Now here's what I want to know. Will they get some song satirizist like Weird Al Yankovic to fill in the gaps left by Tom Leher? I mean, If they wanted to (not saying the would), they could get back some of the old cast... but Tom Leher swore off writing songs entirely. I think he said something like The World is too scary to find humor in anymore. Something to that effect.

I vote Weird Al. Maybe they could coax Chris Cerf to do parody songs.

But I really doubt they'd dumb the show down for the youngest groups. I mean, that's a given when the kid's programming competition includes crap like Dora and Blue's clues. But this show is for older children. Same kids that Word Girl was intended for.

Another thing. Will they get Marvel to license Spidey for them again? Look how popular the friendly neighboorhood webslinger is. he has 3 movies, one more in the works, and a cartoon series now, so would Marvel let them use their character? I doubt they'd be able to, though I wouldn't rule anything out. Maybe DC can lend them someone.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed. But who could DC lend them that would appeal to young audiences, besides the Titans (who've all but vanished, but who will return in a mature light with a more true-to-form version of Judas Contract coming out [not to be confused with the second season of the 2003 animated series that drew inspiration from the Judas storyline]) & the Legion?

Drtooth

Reaction score
DC is clearly ssomething that's just thrown out. of course, they have their evergreen Superman and Batman.

It would be interresting to see Spidey retunr, though (more interresting anyway). I think they could take it in a different direction though. Animated segments or something where Spidey speaks full sentences instead of word Balloons... because kids will be expecting a wisecracking Spider-man. They clearly could do a non-violent version that would appeal to the younger ones who have seen the movies and cartoon show.

But it all depends on if Marvel wants to give them Spidey for free, or at least a reasonable price.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
DC is clearly ssomething that's just thrown out. of course, they have their evergreen Superman and Batman.

It would be interresting to see Spidey retunr, though (more interresting anyway). I think they could take it in a different direction though. Animated segments or something where Spidey speaks full sentences instead of word Balloons... because kids will be expecting a wisecracking Spider-man. They clearly could do a non-violent version that would appeal to the younger ones who have seen the movies and cartoon show.

But it all depends on if Marvel wants to give them Spidey for free, or at least a reasonable price.
Sort of like Spidey's appearance on Muppet Babies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sort of like Spidey's appearance on Muppet Babies.

Rewatch Muppet Babies. Check out who the production company was.

The Electric Company is centered on a group of do-gooders who keep the neighborhood safe with their literacy super-powers, and who solve problems often created by a group called “The Pranksters.” Stationed from their home-base, The Electric Diner, the team consists of four core members: 13-year-old Keith Watson, played by Ricky Smith, who is able to turn words into graphics/animation; 13-year-old Jessica Ruiz, played by Priscilla Diaz, who possesses total aural recall, allowing her to replay and display speech as text; teenager Lisa Heffenbacher, played by Jenni Barber, who has the power to solve any word problem at super human speed; and 20-year-old college student (and older brother to Jessica) Hector Ruiz, played by Josh Segarra, who has the power to visually recall things he’s seen, even if only peripherally, and accurately note them with text.
Looks like we may not need him after all... :smirk:

So, will the entire show focus on Superheroes, or will it be made up of skits, and that's just one of them? Whatever it is, sure will be a great deal better than "Unmentionable Idiot SuperHero Literacy Team "

Status
Not open for further replies.