1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Breaking news! New Electric Company Series from PBS

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by MrsPepper, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. MrsPepper Active Member

I saw this on Showbiz Tonight and found this article from The Associated Press:

2. wwfpooh New Member

If they aired this alongside Sesame Street & reaired Reading Rainbow at an opportune time for audiences to view it, reading would become cool again, IMHO.
  3. Fozzie Bear Moderator

wwfpooh has hit the nail on the head.

My afternoons began when I got home at 3:
    Sesame Street
    Electric Company
    Mr. Rogers
    Reading Rainbow

And then I was outside until well after dark, home to finish homeowrk that I begun during my TV viewing, and off to bed.

And sometimes we had enough money for me to eat somewhere during all of that. Actually, I'm kidding: I always have had food. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of my second and third chins...
  4. MrsPepper Active Member

Haha, Kevin! I definately agree that shown in conjunction with other shows, this will provide a great source or edutainment for kids. Though, quick question: are they still making Reading Rainbow, or showing the same old 15-year-old reruns? I sort of like the idea that although they are using an old tried-and-true formula by reviving The Electric Company, it will be new and up-to-date, and utilise modern tools like the internet; I think it will make a big difference, and children will be able to relate to it better than the same old reruns.

Also, since I missed the TEC boat the first time around, I'm personally interested to see what the show will be like!
  5. wwfpooh New Member

I missed the boat too, because it had already sailed before I was born. So hopefully, this revival is done right.

Though as heralde said in another thread that ought to be combined with this one:

I hope this means that--as AM said--the show isn't modernized too much. :(
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

By modernized, I hope you don't mean pop culture jokes and current styles of music, albiet in parody form, to nail a point home. I mean, TEC is very very reflective of the times when it was created. From the theme song to the hair styles.

But there are things that cross generation gaps... the Dracula segments for example. We'll clearly get a mixture of new and old styles in the show, as it is pop culture based.

But by modernized, I hope you DO mean how the child psychologists and educators ruined kid's television by various, contradictory reports and studies.
  7. Erine81981 Active Member

Can't wait to see this new stuff. I'm just glad that Noggin and the DVD came out with older epiosdes. I still can't find Vol. 2. I reallly would love to have it but i'll find it eventually. But can't wait for the new show. I'm just wondering who they'll get to play the grownups and if there'll be a person playing J. Arthur Crank. That is if that character will be in the new show.
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I doubt we'd see any continuation of old characters. Think of it this way. When you tune into SNL lately do you see the Coneheads, the lounge singer, or Samurai, albiet played by other people? We definately will see a new cast of up and coming actors performing their own material.

I almost say it's too bad that Paul Rugg is working harder at Henson, since he's be perfect for this stuff. I could clearly see him do a Jerry Lewis type character. Or wacky foreigner.

But it looks that the cast and other details are top secret.
  9. Erine81981 Active Member

I get what your saying. I just thought maybe they would keep him being he was the boss or big man on the show. You get what i'm saying?
  10. wwfpooh New Member

Mr. Director: Freunlaven! Nice kids that look like puppies! Flamiel!

Where are you nutty funnies just going?

Yakko: Jan Murray's house?

Mr. Director: You kids are going to be in my movie.

Warners: Movie?

Mr. Director: Who are you just looking at?

Wakko: The people watchin' on TV.

Mr. Director: Peoples? What peoples? *puts face into camera* HELLO NICE PEOPLE IN THE TV!

Indeed, Rugg is "a comedy genius" and oozes Muppet potential out the wazoo! :D

That's exactly what I mean. We don't need anymore of people thinking they know what's best when what they think tends to suck! :p
  11. mikebennidict New Member

Well it probably will be modernized and I think we best just get use to it and not be complaining about it.
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

I don't mind if they bring in newer technology and all, to not do so would be silly. But ultimately, it won't matter how modern a show looks, if it doesn't have decent content. That's what will ultimately make the difference.
  13. wwfpooh New Member

So disliking the direction of TV in general is complaining now? All I thought it was voicing a viewpoint.
  14. Ilikemuppets New Member

The latest episodes I've sen so far are from 2005. But Levar Burton said the he was quitting the show after 26 years on the air due to disagreements with the new production company that took over the show.

There not serious are they? *Sigh* I will give it a chance anyway.
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Where the heck is this quote? Sounds rediculous, though...

I wouldn't rule out something using HSM as a satirical tool. A Parody or something like that. This program will reflect the times as clearly as TEC reflected the 70's and Square One reflected the 80's. So, I wouldn't rule out references to things like that, but mostly in a satirical light.

Now here's what I want to know. Will they get some song satirizist like Weird Al Yankovic to fill in the gaps left by Tom Leher? I mean, If they wanted to (not saying the would), they could get back some of the old cast... but Tom Leher swore off writing songs entirely. I think he said something like The World is too scary to find humor in anymore. Something to that effect.

I vote Weird Al. Maybe they could coax Chris Cerf to do parody songs.

But I really doubt they'd dumb the show down for the youngest groups. I mean, that's a given when the kid's programming competition includes crap like Dora and Blue's clues. But this show is for older children. Same kids that Word Girl was intended for.

Another thing. Will they get Marvel to license Spidey for them again? Look how popular the friendly neighboorhood webslinger is. he has 3 movies, one more in the works, and a cartoon series now, so would Marvel let them use their character? I doubt they'd be able to, though I wouldn't rule anything out. Maybe DC can lend them someone.
  16. wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. But who could DC lend them that would appeal to young audiences, besides the Titans (who've all but vanished, but who will return in a mature light with a more true-to-form version of Judas Contract coming out [not to be confused with the second season of the 2003 animated series that drew inspiration from the Judas storyline]) & the Legion?
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

DC is clearly ssomething that's just thrown out. of course, they have their evergreen Superman and Batman.

It would be interresting to see Spidey retunr, though (more interresting anyway). I think they could take it in a different direction though. Animated segments or something where Spidey speaks full sentences instead of word Balloons... because kids will be expecting a wisecracking Spider-man. They clearly could do a non-violent version that would appeal to the younger ones who have seen the movies and cartoon show.

But it all depends on if Marvel wants to give them Spidey for free, or at least a reasonable price.
  18. wwfpooh New Member

Sort of like Spidey's appearance on Muppet Babies.
  19. hemlock Member

20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Rewatch Muppet Babies. Check out who the production company was.

Looks like we may not need him after all... :smirk:

So, will the entire show focus on Superheroes, or will it be made up of skits, and that's just one of them? Whatever it is, sure will be a great deal better than "Unmentionable Idiot SuperHero Literacy Team "
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.