Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Convincing John

Reaction score
How weird would it have been if they'd stuck a parental advisory on these sets like they did with the Looney Tunes DVDs, though?
Heh heh. But just think, a lot of fans got upset over the disclaimer on the Old School Sesame Street DVDs. However, on a show that had nearly as many explosions, characters getting eaten, (ahem) innuendo and adult jokes as Looney Tunes, there is no such warning on any of The Muppet Show sets.

:smile: "Think about this friends."

I don't know who decides to put disclaimers on what and how to categorize films and TV shows, but as far as Jim's work goes, they're either ignorant of the content or just batty.:batty:

I told one friend about one Easter morning I remember. I was 9 and the announcer came on HBO:

"Coming up, two wonderful stories by Jim Henson's Muppets. First up, 'The Tale of the Bunny Picnic.'..." (makes sense, right?) "and after that, the magical film 'The Dark Crystal'. They're coming up on HBO!"

Oh my, yes. A perfect thing for the kiddies to watch on Easter morning. "Here comes Chamberlain Cottontail, hoppin' down the Skeksis trail...hmmmMMMMmmmm...":scary: Good grief!

But back to the sets. I am so, so glad everything's uncut! I did have a question about music rights, though. The Beatles songs used on this and previous sets (Octopus's Garden, etc.) are intact. Did something change for the better between the Beatles' lawyers and Disney's lawyers since "Muppets Magic" was released in 2003? I'd like to see "Come Together" released as an extra feature somewhere if that's the case.

Convincing John

Davina

Reaction score
the audio drops are annoying, but not anywhere near the level you're fearing Convincing John.. hehehe Watched them last week while doing something else, but I seem to recall only a few drops, the worst one happens while Rowlf is chatting, I don't think we miss any real big puppetering secrets..

And I love the Spike Milligan episode.. he was such a hoot!

David French

Reaction score
I think people are having some difficulty in distinguishing the difference between caricature and unintentional racial slurs.

Bear in mind that a lot of those Looney Tunes cartoons showed characters with blacked-up faces and speaking in mock asian accents. Placing those cartoons in their context, you realize that such things were common and deemed okay; today we think otherwise.

TMS, however, did proper caricatures by playing up to the conventions that we associate with certain nationalities.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think people are having some difficulty in distinguishing the difference between caricature and unintentional racial slurs.

Bear in mind that a lot of those Looney Tunes cartoons showed characters with blacked-up faces and speaking in mock asian accents. Placing those cartoons in their context, you realize that such things were common and deemed okay; today we think otherwise.

TMS, however, did proper caricatures by playing up to the conventions that we associate with certain nationalities.
I dunno. I think there might be some people who would be offended by the fact that the Japenese Muppet characters sing, "Oh, we know we berong to the rand. And the rand we berong to is gland." Or the fact that all of the French in that episode are represented by Muppet frogs. I think you're right in that you can't really consider them racial slurs here, but there are likely those who would be offended by this today. It's pretty much all very playful, though.

Personally, I thought the episode kinda showed how people can come together, despite their differences. Sure, there are stereotypes, but stereotypes of all nations. :attitude: Sam Eagle for stereoptypical, overly-patriotic Americans, Spike Milligan with his unintelligible Cockney accent (and other nationalities). And I just love it that the Scotsmen gets offended when Kermit wants him to play up on what the Scotsmen calls "stereotypical" Scotish music.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hehe. I love finding new stuff in Muppet productions. There's one episode, after the band starts playing the end theme, where Kermit says, "You've been a wonderful laugh track!"

:boo: : The Muppets use a laugh track?
:sleep: : Of course! They couldn't get 'em to laugh any other way!

(... by the way, Statler and Waldorf don't actually say that when it happens :stick_out_tongue: )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think the Milligan episode should be accused of anything bad. Still, I'm not going to say all of those jokes were funny or should be repeated nowadays (and no I'm not a PC fan). I'm just going to say it was a different time. It doesn't diminish my affection for the Muppets. :smile:

Plus, I also agree that the episode helps promote unity. :smile:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I totally get the Spike Milligan episode. Spike was known for his dark humor which again shows how Henson wanted the Muppet Show to be more for adults.

Comedians have always been racy and un-PC. Watch Eddie Murphy's "Raw" - it's not PC but you will laugh your behind off no matter who you are.:attitude:

ploobis

Reaction score
I noticed in the "Aquarius" number (from the Danny Keye episode) that the female whatnot had the singing voice of Louise Gold but her movements looked liked Frank Oz performed her.

I wonder if Frank Oz performed the female whatnot while Louise Gold did the singing voice.

The "Aquarius" number is one of my favorite pieces from the 3rd season, Along with many other great songs and sketches from this season. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I noticed in the "Aquarius" number (from the Danny Keye episode) that the female whatnot had the singing voice of Louise Gold but her movements looked liked Frank Oz performed her.

I wonder if Frank Oz performed the female whatnot while Louise Gold did the singing voice.
That happened alot. Frank (maybe Jim and maybe some of the other Muppeteers) would perform one of Louise's characters during the big numbers while she was still learning. If you look at "Cottleston Pie," that looks alot like Jim's movements.