Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

DTWolf

Reaction score
Season Three Boxset in a Nutshell--positives

Praise #1: Harry Belafonte episode.

Praise #2: Loretta Lynn episode.

Praise #3: Pearl Bailey episode.

Praise #4: The show took bigger chances this season, especially with the afore-praised Harry Belafonte episode and Loretta Lynn episode (train station) and the Roger Miller episode (cluckitis) and the Lynn Redgrave episode (Robin Hood). They were happy to experiment, and it paid off for all of us.

Praise #5: We saw the introduction of Lew Zealand, a favorite of mine. He's underappreciated.

Praise #6: We were given the Muppets on Puppets special and the Purina Dog Chow commercials. Sure, the audio dropouts are a nuisance and we might ask for MORE commercials, but what we did get is great.

Praise #7: This season includes some classic skits that I remember from childhood and that will always have a special place in my heart, such as "Catch a Falling Star . . ." and "You're Always Welcome at Our House" and, of course, "Inchworm."

Praise #8: Most everything else.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Praise #5: We saw the introduction of Lew Zealand, a favorite of mine. He's underappreciated.
We saw the introduction of two characters named "Lew" (or "Lou"), both in the same episode, and both performed by Jerry Nelson!

Lew Zeland and Louis Kazagger both made their debut in the same episode.

David French

Reaction score
Complaint #1: Like some others who've posted, I hated the Spike Milligan episode. I frowned at a few of the stereotypes, but mostly it was his endless unfunniness. His self-consciously "zany" routine did nothing for me at all.
I suspect that it's because as an American, you are unable to identify with a predominantly British comedian. Spike was extremely popular in the UK, mostly due to his work as one of the Goons.

The epitaph on his grave reads "I told you I was ill."

DTWolf

Reaction score
I suspect that it's because as an American, you are unable to identify with a predominantly British comedian.
That's not necessarily the case, though I'll consider the possibility.

I've laughed at plenty of British comedians before. Spike Milligan's efforts just felt too artificial and insincere. It's like he said to himself, "Well, I'll make some weird faces and toss my arms around, and that'll be funny enough."

To me his routine was like John Cleese with no heart and very little effort. (The John Cleese episode, by contrast, was funny.)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I like the episode with Spike Milligan. Though, I will admit that I had to put the subtitles on to understand some of what he said. :embarrassed:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I actually didnt like alot of the episodes. I thought season 2 was alot better.

I was even disapointed with the Alice Cooper episode.

I loved the Pearl Bailey episode for one main reason (take a guess what that it)

and there is one thing I learned from this season: Floyd makes a very strange looking chicken

muppet baby

Reaction score
question about mupppet show season 3 speical edion box set

Could someone show me a picture of one of there box sets that they bought, with the fur one it . i am very confused at what it looks like i mean, i new about the one with miss piggy her eyes sparkled and u could kind of feel the way that the,face felt i mean though the pacage, i am wanting to buy the fozzie one before it runs out of stock i mean i know that the fure is limited edion on eatch season i meam i already missed the 1st seaon with the kermit fur . thanks for the help :smile::wink:

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
Season 3

MeeMooMeeMooMooMooMeeMooMoo!:eek:

Translation: It WAS SO AWSOMES! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!:insatiable:

AAO

Reaction score
So where exactly is the special feature "A Frog Is Born"? I can't find it within my box set? Is it on the last disc on special features or hidden on an easter egg? Or is it on another disc? Please someone help! I think I'm going crazy. Amazon.com says it's on there..

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
...There is no special feature called " A frog is born..." maybe another box set?...