Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:coy: I remember watching the old Fraggle Rocks as a kid and (glorious as the episodes are) noting the green-screen edges especially around Fraggle hair. Many people have raised concerns about CG effects and modernizing the "look" of the Fraggles.

:busy: I think it's great that this film is coming around at a time when effects have become more sophisticated. Green-screen techniques will shine in this film as will others. It would be great to see the odd CG Doozer scampering about the ground in some wide shots, but I do hope and believe that practical effects, perfected while the program was still on the air, will be the primary focus. CG can be used to enhance the Fraggle world. It shouldn't take over it.

:excited: The Fraggle puppets themselves are fairly simple looking. They are masterfully constructed and performed. That's the part that brings the life to Fraggle Rock. Henson’s Fraggles and Muppets have always been about craftsmanship. Sometimes this craftsmanship is infused with a bit of technology.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think things will be fine this is going to be a great film that will utilize todays technology without harming the beloved fraggles that we remember.

Vicki Fraggle

Reaction score
I read somewhere the was a rumor about Bill Barretta playing Cantus and Convincing John. Any news on that?

Drtooth

Reaction score
But the thing is many people do care and aren't too young or too old for it, even if they were to just redo a plot from the tv series and give it more depth. The messages of FR have no age group IMHO. It might have started with only the idea of being 'just for kids' but to me, it never stayed that way.

It is not the fact that we, it's target generation got older I think, or that we are just hungary for anything from the 80's right now , but rather that the messages of it ring true for every part of life, not just childhood IMHO...

Many newer movies have seemed to forgotten any deeper ageless meaning just to put in more flash and whatever song is cool that summer..True, those movies make money, sometimes millions of dollars, but how quickly they are forgotten the next year speaks volumes I think...
Even if FR is a blockbuster, I hope it will not be the empty kind :\...
Which is why I feel they're going to a great job with FR. This isn't a case of "Oh, let's just buy up some license and make a movie slightly related to it," Or "Let's make a generic kiddy flick and name it after some nostalgic cartoon so we can at least be attatched to a famous name so people would actually watch it."

We're getting Fraggle Rock the Movie. There is a lot of push to get this film down right. I mean, we've had 9 muppet films (6 theatrical, 3 DTV), 2 Sesame Films, and the muppet fans felt like we always needed one.

Plus, with Henson at the helm, and Weinstines known for not meddling (cough cough cough SOny), we don't have much to worry about until we hear different.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But the point is that, in order to get entertainment back on the ball, we all must unite in some way to try and convince those in high positions to see the mistakes they've made.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I love you avatar, SillyRed! Totally cute.

I am excited about this movie, but very concerned about the Fraggles heading into the real world. Because this world is not a nice place. There's divorce, racism, fumes, roads, technology, hatred, war, etc.

How will the Fraggles fit into this world?

Surely it would either completly rip apart their ideals, or else the filmmakers will have to sugar-coat the world for them. It would be like the princess entering the real world in Enchanted, except five times more real and painful for them.

Or else it will be like the Womble movie where people changed from seeing the Fraggles, which I don't quite see being realisitc.

Or else, it will be a movie about "Save our rainforests."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am excited about this movie, but very concerned about the Fraggles heading into the real world. Because this world is not a nice place. There's divorce, racism, fumes, roads, technology, hatred, war, etc.

Come on. You know as much as I do that it's gonna be a sanitized version of the real world. If it were the world we really live in, the Fraggles would stay in their holes and never never never ever come out.

I like that idea... the world will change by seeing Fraggles, Wombles, or Chozzles being peaceful. Yeah, that's going to stop the war profiteers from altering religious texts to cause rediculous wars that affect everyone negatively, except the people in power, and the war profiteers. That's gonna get the KKK to disband saying, "well, the Civil War was almost 200 years ago, and we lost. We should just grow up, and not blame people who aren't white for the fact we're a bunch of braindead lazy bums." And it sure the heck is gonna make it so the richest people in the country aren't the only ones that can afford healthcare.

It's a kid's movie first and foremost. Do you think we'd get to anything slightly as dark as that? We'd get them mildly saying that racism is pointless, and hatrid is moronic. But subtlely.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
We'd get them mildly saying that racism is pointless, and hatrid is moronic. But subtlely.
Yeah, for if the world we truly live in were shown, then Boober would be proven right in that hatred, death, and evil does exist. :frown: And in this case, who would want Boober to be right? :stick_out_tongue: