1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by GelflingWaldo, May 13, 2008.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I saw this on Comingsoon.net, and I had to do a double take. I seriously thought this film was in development heck. My my my...

We are one step closer to the impossible becoming possible...add to this Dark Crystal sequel, and the Stoller/Segal Muppet film, and we're looking at glorious times.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:coy: The Weinstein Company wouldn't have been my first pick for a distributor, however they are known for allowing more creative freedom for writers, directors and properties so this might be the best fit. I wonder about the budget?

:excited: The film is now on course going forward instead of rocking backwards into the development phase again. I wonder what film will come out first – Segel’s Muppet move or the Fraggle film?

:busy: Notable Weinstein films include: Transamerica, Rambo 2008, Michael Moore's Sicko, Hannibal Rising, Miss Potter, Hoodwinked, The Matador, Derailed, The Libertine, Mrs Henderson Presents, Clerks II, Grindhouse, Halloween 2007 and this year's animated Igor film starring John Cusack. They also produce television programs like Project Runway and are responsible for releasing Jim Henson Company's animated Three Pigs and a Baby.
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I wonder if my question will be answered come release time.
  6. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

If it's marketed right ... everyone will show up.
  7. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Another news article, this time from Entertainment Weekly (it was listed on the front page of their site!)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,20199641,00.html

And let me just state before anyone goes off into a tizzy:

"The puppet characters Gogo, Wembley, Mokey, Boober, and Red will be among those who will venture outside their cave home for the film and interact with humans, which they think are aliens."

I'm pretty sure whoever wrote this blurb probably just messed up the Fraggle concept of Outer Space. Obviously Fraggles know what humans--Silly Creatures--are, and I seriously doubt they would negate that from the story. I'm sure this person saw "Outer Space" and didn't know that that's how Fraggles refer to the human world outside the Rock.
  8. IgorPonweed

IgorPonweed New Member

9. mrsieve

mrsieve Member

10. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Perhaps they meant "alien" in terms of us humans as being foreign to Fraggles, because sans Doc or those seen by Uncle Matt, we humans are foreign to Fraggles.
  11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Hmm. Cory Edwards is writing?

Was Doogal any good? I didn't see it, and I really can't remember if I liked Hoodwinked.
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Hannibal Rising? That's creepy. Going from Hannibal Lector to Fraggle Rock...:p
  13. mb22

mb22 New Member

14. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Hopefully what 90% of those posters doesn't happen (those posters think FR will bomb, even though the show bore worldwide appeal during its hayday & so, if it does bomb, then there will be universal backlash from fans all over the world).
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I went over there!

:coy: I just posted this over there:

Henson Co & Cast Back. Global Market For Fraggle Film!
    by frogboy4

:excited: Fans, The Henson Company and Fraggle Rock’s performers have been waiting for this news for a very long time. Nobody will let them mess this up – that’s probably why this property didn’t go to Disney. Fraggle Rock (an international program) was created by Jim Henson to inspire the idea of peace and connectedness in the minds of the world's children - that's the audience, not just nostalgic fanboys. There is a global market for this film and we need the Fraggles back now more than ever.
    ________________________________​

:smirk: The only problem with the Fraggles is that they passed some people up as far as target age. It's usually among *some* folk who are now 35+ and don't care for Fraggle Rock. The message was intended to inspire children while entertaining all. There is definitely something in the Fraggles' innocence that puts off the more cynical-minded. Sad, but true. To each their own. Those folk can go see the latest snarky Adam Sandler offering instead. The crude and uninspired perpetuation of stereo-types does much in the area of understanding one another. Man, do we need the Fraggles. I need them.
  16. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

This post literally moved me to tears. Well said. I applaud. Jim, Richard, and Jerry would've been proud, I think. *warm-hearted smile out of fondness for the Fraggles and respect for frogboy*
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Thanks. I was a little irritated by the naysayers there - most of whom know little about Fraggle Rock in the first place.

I also keep reading accounts around the web where it is stated there will be no CG and others stating it will be entirely CG. Both statements, from earlier accounts, are wrong. It's mainly puppets with a little bit of CG thrown in where needed. As always Henson is about the practical live effects while embracing new technology. I am actually looking forward to what the performers and filmmakers can do with the Fraggles with today's materials to work with. :excited: I know it will be the right blend. :coy:
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

One can only hope the film generates the same fire that the series itself did.
  19. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

HBO would air Fraggle Rock every morning before I went to school, so I caught every episode and what a way to start the day. I must say I'm very excited to see this news all over the nets.

Can you imagine if all these films start hitting at the same time ie. Where the Wild Things Are, Fraggle Rock, The Muppets Return = Freak out! It's raining Muppets :flirt:
  20. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

As it should! Henson's creations deserve a comeback!