Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Eh, "legal" can be bent. Palisades came out with an unlicenced Indiana Jones Kermit figure.
Actually, that is quite incorrect. Lucas' representatives were contacted about Adventure Kermit and it was given the green light. I'm not sure where you received contrary information or maybe that was just an assumption.

As for the splitting of hairs, you were stating personal fan opinion as one of law. That needed to be cleared up. However, I too think (what we fans view as) the Muppets will give more to us separately than together at this point. And then someday they can do some joint projects once all of these companies are strong on their own. I still hope they can all come to an understanding and release some of the classic material with crossovers in place.

I don't see anything loosey goosey or bad about the doodle of a pair of Ernie and Bert clones in the margins of a comic book page. It's all in good fun. To state otherwise goes against the very grain and history of the Muppets' humor. :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I also never understood why they did a grown up Indy Kermit, he never dressed like that except on Muppet Babies. I would have loved to see them do some Muppet Baby toys, even though i would more then likely not buy any.
Kermit the adult and puppet frog dressed as Indy in The Muppets at Walt Disney World. He was randomly picked from the audience to portray Indiana Jones as part of the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

Picture: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/3/30/Advkermit.jpg

beaker

Reaction score
Actually, that is quite incorrect. Lucas' representatives were contacted about Adventure Kermit and it was given the green light. I'm not sure where you received contrary information or maybe that was just an assumption.

As for the splitting of hairs, you were stating personal fan opinion as one of law. That needed to be cleared up. However, I too think (what we fans view as) the Muppets will give more to us separately than together at this point. And then someday they can do some joint projects once all of these companies are strong on their own. I still hope they can all come to an understanding and release some of the classic material with crossovers in place.

I don't see anything loosey goosey or bad about the doodle of a pair of Ernie and Bert clones in the margins of a comic book page. It's all in good fun. To state otherwise goes against the very grain and history of the Muppets' humor. :stick_out_tongue:
1. I stand corrected then, apologies. Before the "Indy" Kermit came out, on here and the Palisades forum people were saying it was done out of "parody" as Palisades did not have the approval for an Indiana Jones themed Kermit(it also didnt mention Indiana Jones on the package)
I mean shoot, where would The Simpsons/Family Guy/Robot Chicken be without unauthorized licences and spoofs?

2. I agree. Well I meant more, in fan's hearts and in the average person on the streets view...Sesame, Fraggle, Muppet Show, etc is all "Muppets". Editing out say, Kermit from Jugband has to be a clear example of the legal stupidity.

3. I like many others raised quite the indignation at the house of mouse, but in the longrun each brand has more devotion

4. You said
"I don't see anything loosey goosey or bad about the doodle of a pair of Ernie and Bert clones in the margins of a comic book page. It's all in good fun. To state otherwise goes against the very grain and history of the Muppets' humor. "

I agree, given Bert and Ernie are Muppets who were in the original Muppet show pilots, I see nothing wrong with Langrey drawing Muppets for a Muppet comic:smile:

beaker

Reaction score

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I know I am not the only one who thinks Muppets At Walt Disney World is one of the best Muppet specials ever next to Muppet Family Christmas :smile:
Yes, yes. One of the best. The songs are great! It's probably my second favorite (of what I've seen). The best, I think, was The Muppets Go to the Movies.

Hey, that would make for an interesting comic series. Either expand on the Muppets adventures in Disney World or do more movie parodies. I would love to see a Muppets Frankenstein comic or maybe a parody on modern superhero stuff... Though maybe they should save that idea for the (wish they would go through with it) Muppet Superhero movie.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This is also a great way for the Muppet to do these classic storys, and give them a chance to be themselfs in there next Movie! Like Kermit has said he has wanted for some time now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
4. You said
"I don't see anything loosey goosey or bad about the doodle of a pair of Ernie and Bert clones in the margins of a comic book page. It's all in good fun. To state otherwise goes against the very grain and history of the Muppets' humor. "

A Bert clone and half of Ernie's ear and 25% of the side of his sweater....

That said, I wonder if Robot Chicken, Family Guy and Simpsons had to get permission anyway. i know the Appearances of Ren and Stimpy, The Archie crew and the Flinstones on the Simpsons all had copyright disclosures at the end credits.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
I agree, given Bert and Ernie are Muppets who were in the original Muppet show pilots, I see nothing wrong with Langrey drawing Muppets for a Muppet comic:smile:
I don't think anyone sees anything wrong with it. I certainly think it's great.

But for the sake of legality, I do think it's there more as an "homage" than as an "official" appearance.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see some Fraggle homage too. Maybe even a skeksis-like creature somewhere in the background. It's a big Muppetverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.