Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I don't think anyone sees anything wrong with it. I certainly think it's great.

But for the sake of legality, I do think it's there more as an "homage" than as an "official" appearance.
The thing is, Bert appeared on four Muppet show episodes, including the first two pilots. So given this series is about the early Muppet show, I don't get Frogboy saying Bert would have to be an "homage". Im like, he was part of the Muppet show:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see some Fraggle homage too. Maybe even a skeksis-like creature somewhere in the background. It's a big Muppetverse.
Thatd be awesome. And as much as I do not count "Creature Shop"(Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Dinosaurs, etc) as part of the Muppetverse(as I do Muppet show/specials, sam and friends, fraggle rock, bear house, sesame street, animal jam, big bag,
hoobs, mopatop, henson alternative brands/puppet up, etc)
I did learn that Fizgig is seen in an episode of Fraggle Rock(according to Jerry Nelson) which I think is cool.

I always envisioned a Muppet movie where the bad guys were very Skeksis/creature shop-esque.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The thing is, Bert appeared on four Muppet show episodes, including the first two pilots. So given this series is about the early Muppet show, I don't get Frogboy saying Bert would have to be an "homage". Im like, he was part of the Muppet show.
Bert was a special guest on the Muppet Show back when the line was blurry. We all know that it isn't anymore. However, Sesame Workshop isn't likely to sue over the homage version of Bert in these new TMS comics. I think we should probably move on from this topic because we all know the info even though some believe it should be different. However, it isn't. We know who owns what (even though Oscar the Grouch appeared in all three of the original Muppet trilogy films). :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

beaker said:
I always envisioned a Muppet movie where the bad guys were very Skeksis/creature shop-esque.
Interesting. I still think they should bring Uncle Deadly back as something.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Bert was a special guest on the Muppet Show back when the line was blurry. We all know that it isn't anymore. However, Sesame Workshop isn't likely to sue over the homage version of Bert in these new TMS comics. I think we should probably move on from this topic because we all know the info even though some believe it should be different. However, it isn't. We know who owns what (even though Oscar the Grouch appeared in all three of the original Muppet trilogy films). :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Well I think the development of Uncle Deadly got cut a little short, for one reaon or another. He did however show up for Kermit's and Piggy's wedding the Muppets take Manhaten.
I would love to see if they did a Halloween comic, and gave him and all the Muppet Monsters a really big comeback.

beaker

Reaction score
Absolutely. And I have to say it again, I love the late 80's JHH period where JHC was experimenting with a Muppet meets creature shop style. Leon, Digit, Lindhburg, and then we even see the dogs that show up in 1990 in Muppets@WDW with Rowlf that have that look. I like how it blurs the line between "Muppet" and "Creature Shop" style.

And you know, I hope someday we do get crossovers before(Uncle Matt was spose' to be in MFS)

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I think it would be really interesting for a mini Fraggle Rock comic to come out when the movie does. I never collected the old one, so...

I'm still not really feeling this Muppet Show/Robin Hood thing, maybe it'll grow on me. Anyone know if you can order it somewhere online? It's not listed on Amazon and I don't really go to comic shops.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That said, I wonder if Robot Chicken, Family Guy and Simpsons had to get permission anyway.
I recall that on The Simpsons first season boxed set commentary that they had to get permission to use copyrighted stuff like that in the early years, but later on decided to stop.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am very excited about the comic book. I am surprised about the release schedule, though. I expected the release schedule to be similar to how the Palisades figures were released (expecting issue 1 in spring, issue 2 in summer, issue 3 in fall, and issue 4 in winter). I'm also surprised tha the Robin Hood comics will begin alongside these releases.

I'm a little surprised that nobody noticed Randy Pig in the audience on the cover of issue 3. No sign of Andy (Randy's sitting next to a blonde woman pig, who's mostly covered by Gonzo).

Mahna Mahna's hair is green on the cover, but I wodner if that's intentional due to the darkness. I also noticed somebody who could either be a brown Crazy Harry or a gorilla.

And it's a shame that the cover of issue 3 doens't show the orchestra. I have afeeling that Nigel would have been shown, but it'd be interesting to se whether Lips, Trumpet Girl, or Crazy Harry get shown in the orchestra, or if extra whatnot musicians are included. And if Trumpet Girl is included, I wodner if she'd be drawn with her eyes closed and playing trumpet, or wide open and playing trombone.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am going to be getting the comic as it comes out from here :smile:. If anyone else doesn't have a comic shop near them, they have very good prices on shipping :3 (this isn't an ad, I'm just trying to be helpful :3)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Roger Landgridge has said in interviews that he wants the comic to be like a lost episode of The Mupet Show, but that'd be hard without a guets star (and I've seen an interview where he says the first four issues won't have guest stars). It also would be hard without music numbers, and I doubt that many numbers will be included, regardless of whetehr they are copyrighted, public domain, or created for the book. A musical nubmer wouldn't have the same effect in a comic as it would in a TV episode or movie.

I had previously read about the first issues story, and thought it said that kermit will return to teh swamp. I thought that'd be werid for somethignt hat's trying to be like The Muppet Show, as scenes rarely took place outside the theater. Then I read that the plot doesn't say anythign about going to the swamp, just that Kermit misses the swamp, and the others try to make him feel better.

In the alternate covers, showcasing characters in circles, I wonder if the main character images are artwork from inside the comic books. Especially since the Gonzo one shows Gonzo dancing with Camilla, with some characters (including Mildred) in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.