Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how they redubbed that segment about the monster under the bed? I hated that. We lost (I'm gonna guess) Brian Cummings to make it sound younger.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
Slimey & Dirty doing the letter/number of the day-a nice change.

I certainlly think next season there should be some new segments for numbers higher than 13.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
A rundown for 4174-copied from the wiki:
What's the Word on the Street?: Curly (HD)
Song: Healthy Fruits Song (HD)
The Word of the Day: Neil Patrick Harris demonstrates the word "curly" until Elmo interrupts his conversation to help him. (HD)
Song: Fixin' My Hair
Scene: Rosita enters the nest sale looking for La Letra del Dia: X. (HD)
Film: Jaws spoof X in the swimming pool. (EKA: Episode 4904)
Film: Spinning Ornates X
Muppets: Murray has a Little Lamb: The Science and Nature Program at the American Museum of Natural History (HD) (First: Episode 4163)
Cartoon: Dancing with the Flowers (EKA: Episode 4058)
Scene: Rosita, making a mess in the nest sale, looks for El Numero del Dia: Dos (in Spanish, 2). (HD)
Animation: Egyptian #2
Song: 2, 2, 2 Me and You
Claymation/Muppets: Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures: Caveman World
Song: "Eat Your Favorite Fruits (Walkin' Down The Streets of Sesame)" (EKA: Episode 4147)
Muppets: Elmo's World: Up and Down (EKA: Episode 4080)
Scene: Big Bird and Snuffy concludes their nest sale by announcing the sponsors and earning enough birdseeds to celebrate at Hooper's Store drinking birdseed milkshakes!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4176: Elmo steps in for Super Grover.
Airdate: October 8, 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors: M, 0.
Word on the Street: Stuck.
Street Story.
Super Chicken has a robin as his sidekick? Cue the Superman/Batman WB Animated Series Power Hour.
Nice to get Baby Bear explaining what a singing quartet is and gets a fourth singer thanks to Elmo.
Super Grover: "Another problem solved by your friendly neighborhood superhero." A shot at Spidey too?
Nice street story, but kinda redundant if it ended with Chris getting the ladder to dislodge Elmo's airplane from the tree branches, which prompted the superheroes' appearance/help/interference.
Animation: Swing Like an Elephant, why... Why do they keep these cruddy segments.
Celebrity Moment: Patrick Warberton explains "stuck" with a chicken stuck in his shirt.
Claymation Segment, why can't they get rid of these too replacing them exclusively with Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures?
Letter of the Day: Horatio gets stuck in the laundromat.
Animation/Song: M, Sing with the Mermaid and the Moose.
Muppets: Law & Order, Special Letters Unit. Would like it if they made more of these as was previously rumored.
Filmed Drumming Segment.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Ice-Skating School.
Actually, "gorro" or "gorra" would be "cap", but since a cap is an article of clothing worn on your head, hat can be accepted as a semi-translation.
Animation: Dr. Nancy Einstein unravels the mystery of the ice cube.
Number of the Day: Horatio's still stuck despite Leela's and now Gina's combined "efforts".
Film: 0 Dancers.
Animation: Little 0 feels cool to be a 0.
Muppets: Abby sings a song about being a fairy, learning other things as well.
Film: Two kids talk about being friends, agreeing and then fighting, then becoming friends again.
Film: Super Wendy eats her healthy power-up meals.
Elmo's World: Noses.
Ending: Horatio presents the sponsors as he's got unstuck thanks to everyone, then goes over to Hooper's for a PB sandwich.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Man, today show was funny.

I mean I just loved how:super:mention that him and Horatio could make a good pair.

Still, it was a good show to see today with all of the old Batman and Robin references. :smile:

Although I have to wonder, what would the show be like if Super Grover really did took on a sidekick ?

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of Batman and Spider-Man references in this one... including the 1960's Batman scene transition. Nice to see Super Chicken again, even though it was originally created as a gag... too bad none of kids that watch this show know It's supposed to be a reference. But Horatio was even interesting in this episode, and the character always wore thin on my nerves (it's that whiny voice of his... I miss Marty's Monster Clubhouse version of the character). Though, I don't know that superheroes have to drop their eternal struggle between good and evil, and keeping the world and universe safe to tell a bear that he in fact is an animal.... seriously, Baby Bear must think pretty much of himself that he's able to talk human speak, and lives in a house.

And it was great to see another NEW Murray had a little lamb, especially since yesterday was a rerun again. They really worked hard on this one. I wonder how they got the puppeteer to stand on the ice.

And we got 2 of the stupid dancing animal animated sequences. Though, I did like the second one they used. I like their earlier rhythmic work... this "Hop Hop shake your head and" do something like some animal bit is beyond overused. Didn't we have three others this season? How many did they make, anyway?

And did we get a single new Elmo's World this season? No wonder why they tried to get rid of it last year. Anyone else think the "And no one got hurt" quip about Pinocchio was a tongue in cheek stab at the original source material being pretty gruesome, and that people are only familiar with the Disney version? Or am I reading too far into it again?

wiley207

Reaction score
I think the word on the street segment for "Frightened" was the funniest of the bunch, due to Murray being frightened himself!

I've noticed that unlike last season, which just used that one intro clip of Murray over and over again, this season they made a new set of intro clips they cycle through (one has him in Central park, another has him at an intersection, etc.) I think it's good they do that, to give it some variety. At first I figured they'd just make one new clip of Murray's intro to use over and over, but whatever the case it's good to see them vary for the Word on the Street that way.

And so far, I STILL think this might be the best post-2002 season to come out so far! It reminds me a lot of the 1998-2001 seasons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I forgot to talk about Patrick Warburton's word on the street segment. I'm a big fan of the guys work! In fact, i think his Buzz Lightyear was even better than Tim Allen's... he gave it a hammy Adam West-like quality to it.

I was TOTALLY surprised to see him there. I really wish they could have him back or work him into a plotline or something. To see him work with the Muppets is fantastic.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here on my thoughts on yesterday's new episode:

The Goods:
-Another sweet storyline. Oscar would do anything for Slimey, including being nice. I also liked the nod to Ladybug's Picnic.
-The bug song was cute, with nice vocals by Jennifer.
-The W salesman cartoon was nice to see. At least we're getting some letter segments that haven't been used in a while.
-The brick wall returned!
-Are these Elmo/Abby skits holdovers? Cause they're not in widescreen.
-Another nice GG skit

The Bads:
-Seriously, I'm sick of seeing "Hello Happy Happiness" every season. Give it a rest!
-Where has Cookie Monster and The Count been? We've only seen Cookie twice and the season's about 3/4ths done.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My thoughts on yesterday's episode.

The Goods:
-Another great storyline! Everything Super Grover related is bound to be hilarious. I loved the Batman references, like Robin and those scene transitions.
-I liked seeing a Honker on the street. They're one of my favorite characters.
-Super Grover to Chris: "Where can I find another cute little sidekick? You are kind of cute."
-The Patrick Warburton bit was cute, though the end was kind of predictable.
-Now, that rhythm cartoon is one of the only acceptable Karen Aqua bits.
-Wow! A Nancy Einstein cartoon! That's the oldest thing we've seen this year!
-Nice to see that Zero cartoon. Why didn't they use it in that episode last year?
-I liked seeing Abby's song, but the time still could've been used for something else.

The Bads:
-When Super Grover and Horatio went to help the kids with the basketball, Elmo said they're going the wrong way, when they actually were.
-Horatio's voice seems to have been deeped a little. It didn't sound as whiney.
-Wriggle Like a Elephant - shoot me
-Sigh, can we stop seeing the two M bits! I'd rather see a different M sketch rather than the Special Letters Unit.
-Murray with the hat over his hair creeped my out a little.
-I do not like the zero dancers thing
-I did not like the two animations after Abby's song.