Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks Drtooth. And I think I know why the Abby-centric episodes were pulled. The answer? This week is being presented as Abby Cadaby's Fairy Fun Week.
Stupid Abby Week... it's going to be mostly reruns until Friday's episode.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*In Oscar voice, in honor of National Grouch Day: Ding-dong, you're wrong!

Today's review.
Episode 4177: Abby's First Sleepover.
Airdate: October 15, 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors: D, 13.
Abby's Fairy Fun Week Intro: Sparkles Everywhere.
Street Story.
*Missed the beginning.
Abby sleeps over at Big Bird's nesting area with Luis and María supervising.
Abby's blanket and pillow magically keep going up and down.
10,007 Nursery Rhymes? Nice throwback to Hey Diddle Diddle with its assorted characters.
The sleepover gets moved to the apartment once it starts raining.
Luis wishes he and María could've gone dancing... Careful what you wish for.
Abby's mommy grants his wish, setting up for the tie-in sponsor segments.
Animation/Song: Dance Myself to Sleep.
Great Moments from the Sink: Brushing Your Teeth.
Muppets/Celebrity: Everybody's Song with Diana Crawl.
Unknown Segment with Egyptian music and Latin American music.
Letter of the Day: The letter D comes over to the sleepover as Luis and María continue dancing.
Segment: Kids keep repeating D.
Segment: Guy at computer, D for dazzle and dog.
Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures: Ecologists in the Rain Forest.
Very fun concept on presenting the problems of deforestation taking place today.
Number of the Day: The number 13 comes to dance at the sleepover too.
Animation: Counting to 13 with the weird shapes.
Animation: Kid types and recognizes the number 13, rewarded with thirteen thingamabobs.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Gymnastics School.
Animation: I Love My Bones.
Film: Kids talking about getting ready for bed.
Elmo's World: Sleep.
Hadn't seen this one in a while, nice cameo by the Two-Headed Monster.
Ending: Finally asleep, María and Luis presenting the still dancing sponsors.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Would have been great if the local PBS station provided some synopsis, so I knew it was new before hand.

Decent episode. Anyone else think that Big Bird saying "we have a routine" is a tongue in cheek inside joke about how SS is being run lately? That's what I took it as. We had some great interaction between Abby and Big Bird, and another plot revolving around Maria and Luis...

So, no word of the day at all?

Cute Ernie and Bert segment....

uh...

And one of my favorite old skits was used, albeit with pointless musical sweetening. But thank goodness they didn't overdub it. And you know why? "I still love my BO-O-O-O-O-O-O-ONES!"

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I must say it was a good street story today along with another good adventure of :stick_out_tongue: & :frown:.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4173: Abby Thinks Oscar is a Prince.
Airdate: October 16, 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors: B, 17.
Abby's Fairy Fun Week Intro: Elmo wants a wand, ends up using his finger as one.
Street Story.

Oscar: "Oscar, the grouch formerly known as Prince!"
Oscar: "Pearls before swine."
Two great lines and lines great of two.
"Wandface", Abby's new nickname, appropriate.
Did we see Oscar in a full body shot when he launched out of the trashcan?
James Bond reference from Oscar in disguise, classic.
Street Story Song: I Don't Wanna Be a Prince.
Film/Song: Important.
Celebrity Moment: Jack Black and Elmo explain "disguise".
Animation: Drawing a Face.
Letter of the Day: Big Bird and Snuffy, and Slimey, present the letter B in a sort of Tonight Show parody.
Film/Song: B is for Bubble, though they cut off the round ending.
Animation: B: The Big Blue Bus.
Muppets/Celebrity: Everybody Be Yo'Self.
Animation: Zork Plays Ring Toss at Camp Wackylake.
Number of the Day: Big Bird and Snuffy present the number 17, trying to find the one Snuffy's got with him.
Snuffy: "We're the Einstein Twins!" Was that a subtle reference to a classic Disney Channel show, The Edison Twins?
And yes, I used to watch The Edison Twins, that was a very good show.
Song: 17 Rap.
Animation: Counting to 17, the series where numbers popped out from the surrounding cityscape.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Gardening School.
Animation/Song: Do the Veggie Dance... It burnses! Get rid of the nasty thingses!
Elmo's World: Skin.
Ending: Oscar reads The Worm Prince to Slimey and Abby while Chris announces the sponsors.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else cracking up when 1950's name namer director Elias Kazzan was part of Abby's magic spell?

This was a most excellent opening story line. I even liked the CGI eyes in the dark thing. They really did a great job making it look realistic. So far, I think Henson is doing much better than Magnetic Dreams. They're good too, but Henon made everything so... life like.

Oscar was in top form making references that go over little kid's heads ("Pearls before swine?" Classic Bullwinkle style stuff).

And I have to say, that was the funniest opening to a Murray had a little lamb I've ever seen. "A tree? Are we getting acorns with extra acorns?"

Jack Black was great. Sort of reminded me of his role as the Kung Fu Panda....

And I don't think I've ever seen that B segment before. I rather liked it.

Only downer is we got that lousy veggie dance (I want someone from SW to come here and explain how that's educational) and the Elmo's world wasn't new.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Awesome episode today! I think it was one of the best and would be my favorite one this season if it wern't or the season premier! S This one had me going through the whole episode; especially the new parts! One really great lines and references in today's episode! There was one line in particular from Murray, but I and having the hardest time remembering it at the moment...

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I must say did any of you guys see that :grouchy: almost looked like Mr. Carol Spinney for a moment ?

Still it was a good show and nice showing of the dynamics between Oscar and Wandface...I mean Abby.

Also nice showing of Murrary and his little lamb.

Although one thing still bugs me....Just how was Marty Robinson able to do both Snuffy and Slimey at the same scene ? :smirk:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Although one thing still bugs me....Just how was Marty Robinson able to do both Snuffy and Slimey at the same scene ? :smirk:
You know, I was wondering the exact same thing. But I noticed they were over lapping each other towards the very end.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My thoughts on the Abby's sleepover episode

The Goods:
-Nice to see Maria and Luis in the story. They should know better than to try to have a nice evening out without someone ruing it. It was nice that Abby gave them a chance for them to dance.
-Hoots made a cameo at the beginning! Also like the CGI clouds.
-It's very nice that Abby slept over with Big Bird rather than Elmo.
-Have we ever seen that Dish puppet? I looked pretty neat
-We've been seeing a lot of Sally Chruishanks (sp?) animations lately. She has such a distinct style.
-The only thing I liked about the reused "Everybody's Song" bit was that Cookie was in it. He's been very scarce this season.
-I actually like that claymation countries bit, especially the Russian music arrangement.
-They must've made a lot of those gymnastic forming bits this year.
-Another great E&B Adventure, especially with the ecological message. Plus, Bert as a tree = hilarity!
-Nice to see that 80's bones animation.

The Bads:
-Before the season began, there was so much hype over the many celebrities this year, but it wasn't what they said if they have to use a existing segment to show the word of the day.