Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
The zero dancers number was confusing and a weird way to explain the concept of zero.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4177: Zoe Cheers for Elmo.
Airdate: October 10, 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors:
Word on the Street: Cheer.
Street Story.
Doesn't this remind you of when Zoe, Rosita and Lulu were the 3 Cheerleaders from back in Season 31?
Telly: "If I can do it, I'll be in the Guiness Book of Triangle Records."

Elmo: "We'll cheer for ourselves!"
Yaey Ego!
Film: Group clapping segment, looks new dunno what it rully is.
Animation: Noodles & Ned.
Muppet-Kid Moments: Lulu and Dot learn the alphabet together.
Animation/Song: African Animal Alphabet, I always like this one.
Letter of the Day: Big Bird checks the mail and gets the letter E.
Animation: E Gregorian Chant.
Film: E/e in the Pool.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Music School.
Claymation Segment.
Number of the Day: Count pulls out the winning Transylvania Lottery number, the number 3.
Animation: Jane Tuesday spots three missing things.
*Braces for Drtooth's railing against Crayon Chin-Chan.
Jane's stuff behind Door #3, nice classic game show reference.
Animation/Song: Three animals teach about first, second and third.
Celebrity Moment: Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Row and Oscarthe Grouch.
Would it have been better with a Mike Row Muppet? This was a very well-done quasi-parody segment.
Oscar hasn't watched the real Dirty Jobs before has he, he keeps thinking his work is the dirtiest stuff Mike has ever done.
Song: This is How We Take a Bath, sung by an offscreen Hoots.
Elmo's World: Jumping.
Ending: Big Bird and the Count present the sponsors, a letter E and a ball with a 3.
Count: "I love getting mail!" Big Bird: "Me too."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Decent episode... Telly Monster and the chess sequence saved the thing from being totally dull. I just loved the sequence when they were doing it so silently, they were just miming the words, and they knocked over the pieces.

Lessee.... reused Murray... no celeb word on the street... The Letter and Number segments were clearly reused. But I like how they called back to them at the end... though I don't know how in the world the exact lottery number got mailed to the Count at the end....

great seeing Noodles and Ned again... and also great to see that it was a single digit number today... you know the reason.

And the Dirtiest jobs thing sort of went over my head, since I don't watch it. But it was great to see an entire Oscar segment.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Now I am confused. Really confused. Somebody needs to go to the wiki and fix up the episodes for season 39.Episode 4177 is meant to be "Abby's first sleepover" . According to SST website, episode 4178 is meant to be about Zoe Cheering with Telly and Elmo.
I am in the process of correcting the wiki using info from The Count's episode description and the Offical page, but seeing as I Did not see it; Someone who did shoud head over and fix it up.

The Page is not Completly fixed, and needs somebody who knows what they are doing; however, I corrected the segments I could and addedd the official Description

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on Friday's episode:

The Goods:
-Pretty meh story. But it brightened up when Telly came into it.
-I liked the Honker putting the spoon on his nose.
-It looks Maria was headed to Fix-It-Shop, so I quess it's on another part of the street now.
-Pretty neat dance film. We sure are getting a lot of new films/cartoons/songs this season
-Nice to see Noodles and Ned again! They're like those clay cavemen, only better.
-Nice to see The African Animal Alphabet, despite having seen it already last year.
-Haven't seen those Letter chants in awhile.
-Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Roe was pretty funny!

The Bads:
-We could've seen a different Muppet&Kid moments instead of the reused Abby bit.
-Sigh, another reused Murray. If wasn't in every episode, we would have this problem.
-Practically reused Letter/# intros
-Jane Tuesday, run!
-Didn't care for that animal counting song
-How did the Count's mail end up in Big Bird's mail box?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Now I'm confused as well. As most people here know I am a visually-impaired person, though I still retain some vision. So, when a new season of Sesame Street starts upI rely on two things to keep track of the episode order since I can't see the episode number on the screen:
1 The titles given for each episode in perfect order on Muppet Wiki or released by Sesame Workshop/posted here on the forums by people of my trust, and
2 That when the episodes start airing, I mathematically keep track of the episode sequence starting with the first new episode aired—Season 39: 4161, 4162, 4163, etc.—with the insertion of repeat episodes from previous seasons.

We know that the first week of the new season, the week on which the Monday the new season starts is all new season episodes. For Season 39, August 11 2008. So that entire slate was numbered 4161 to 4165. Now let's say the following Monday brought us a new Season 39 episode. Well, it follows logically that this would then be Episode 4166, and I would think so given there was no previous season repeat interrupting the Season 39 order. But let's say that Tuesday the 19 of August aired a repeat, and the next new episode aired on Wednesday August 20. In that case, I would logically think that this second new episode after 4165 would be labelled as Episode 4167, and it usually goes that way with no problems. That said, there seems to be a glitch in the system, as PBS appears to be airing repeat episodes when it should be airing new episodes instead, thus mucking up the order. The week of September 29 2008 it should've aired Episodes 4172-4174 all in a row from Tuesday September 30 through October 2, but jumped Episode 4173 with a repeat on October 1. Now they have done it once again by omitting the true Episode 4177 which should've aired last Thursday, giving us a block of four new episodes from Tuesday October 7 to the 10th. Because of this, I'll be posting reviews of the episodes I watch, but will only refer to them by the Muppet Wiki titles, hoping for help from others as to which their true episode numbers are. Methinks that this will help us all sort out the confusion caused by our respective PBS stations' schedules.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We know that the first week of the new season, the week on which the Monday the new season starts is all new season episodes. For Season 39, August 11 2008. So that entire slate was numbered 4161 to 4165. Now let's say the following Monday brought us a new Season 39 episode. Well, it follows logically that this would then be Episode 4166, and I would think so given there was no previous season repeat interrupting the Season 39 order. But let's say that Tuesday the 19 of August aired a repeat, and the next new episode aired on Wednesday August 20. In that case, I would logically think that this second new episode after 4165 would be labelled as Episode 4167, and it usually goes that way with no problems. That said, there seems to be a glitch in the system, as PBS appears to be airing repeat episodes when it should be airing new episodes instead, thus mucking up the order. The week of September 29 2008 it should've aired Episodes 4172-4174 all in a row from Tuesday September 30 through October 2, but jumped Episode 4173 with a repeat on October 1. Now they have done it once again by omitting the true Episode 4177 which should've aired last Thursday, giving us a block of four new episodes from Tuesday October 7 to the 10th. Because of this, I'll be posting reviews of the episodes I watch, but will only refer to them by the Muppet Wiki titles, hoping for help from others as to which their true episode numbers are. Methinks that this will help us all sort out the confusion caused by our respective PBS stations' schedules.
There may be something on PBS's end, that they screwed the episode order up. I've seen it happen before. What I'd tend to think that if the episodes are misnumbered themselves, it may be because someone put the wrong labels on the wrong episodes, or they worked from an unrevised list.

What confused me was they were going every other day having the new episode, but last week, we had skipped a day, but we had the new episodes run on Tuesday and Wednesday. And now it looks like they're cutting the new episodes with reruns of this season...

So I wouldn't blame anyone for being confused.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Drtooth. And I think I know why the Abby-centric episodes were pulled. The answer? This week is being presented as Abby Cadaby's Fairy Fun Week. Today saw a repeat of Episode 4163: Sock Chaos at the Laundromat, but instead of the Word on the Street beginning, Elmo and Abby presented an introduction talking about all the magical fun to be had on Sesame episodes throughout the week. Seems like more promo work for Abby in Wonderland to me, but at least we know why the confusion and might get the missing episodes now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Also, I feel that Leela should have been given more of a proper introduction. They just walk into the laundromat and they act like they already know her. By the way, that chair Telly sat on looked remarkably like Bert's. Does anyone else agree?
Well I guess they were saving that for the episode where she was properly introduced witch was a few episodes from this one. I mean the people on the street new her, but the viewing audience didn't. I guess they were saving if t for another episode.

And did we get a single new Elmo's World this season? No wonder why they tried to get rid of it last year.
I think they did at the very bigging of the season.