Pre-Order The Christmas Toy DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I want to, but I think I should wait until it comes out, so I'll know if it's edited before I spend my money. Otherwise I'll stick with my taped-off-the-TV version I've had since I was a kid, 80s commercials and all :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I want to, but I think I should wait until it comes out, so I'll know if it's edited before I spend my money. Otherwise I'll stick with my taped-off-the-TV version I've had since I was a kid, 80s commercials and all :wink:
You can't beat the 80s commercials! :wink:

Radar

Reaction score
You can't beat the 80s commercials! :wink:
Who ever taped The Christmas Toy off TV when I was a little kid edited out the commercials! It was nice to watch it straight through, but I would love to have seen it with the neat 80s ads!

Convincing John

Reaction score
I taped that special when it first aired...oh those Kraft commercials! I always wanted that "Christmas Toy" poster they advertised...(sigh)

They also had (I think) an M&M's commercial with a horse drawn sleigh (with Christmas lights!) going down a hill. As a kid, I was amazed at the concept of the battery-operated Christmas lights.

Back on topic...do we know for sure if Kermit will be edited out? The only other special where Kermit is just a "bookend" is in Mr. Willowby. Let's hope that someone can convince Disney to play nice and keep Kermit in them both. To me, having Kermit in these specials is like he's introducing us to friends outside his Muppet family.

I'm tired (as I'm sure many of us are) with chopped up versions of our favorite Muppet Christmas specials. Disney played nice and let Kermit be in the Old School Sesame Street sets (thank goodness). Does Sesame Workshop have better negotiations with Disney than Disney does with the Henson Company?

Is it a money issue? Is Disney worried that another company would make a lot of money from DVD sales featuring Kermit? If so, why would they be concerned about relatively little-known Christmas specials rather than the widely-known Sesame Street? Sure, Sesame Workshop is a non-profit organization, but the way Disney operates...

We'll, just have to see, I guess.

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Oh...YUM! All that Kraft stuff looks so good! That's the old Christmas memories I'm talkin' about! (Maybe that'll be the special features on the DVD, the old Kraft commercials...I wouldn't complain).:wink:

Kermit dressed as Santa Claus and Kraft commercials...THAT'S how I wanna see "The Christmas Toy"!

Thanks for posting that link. I probably gained about ten pounds just looking at all that cheese, but it's worth it! LOL.

(Watches commercials again as old Christmas memories come flooding back...ahh...)

Convincing John

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know! It's almost not Christmas for me until I see the reto commercials, lol. They really knew how to create the perfect Christmas atmosphere back in the day, even if they didn't quite resemble your own (or anybody else's) real life, lol! Well they do say commercials are like our modern folk tales. :smile:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
This may seem a little obsessive, but I just timed the intro and the song at the end with Kermit. His intro is about 1 min 28 seconds, and at the end is 1 min, 10 seconds... making Kermit's screen time 2 mins 38(or 40) seconds. So its hard to say if Kermit has been edited out. Maybe they've edited it in some other way, the credits or intro title screen or something.

LOL! I did the same thing and then I even thought of all the ways that Kermit could or might be edited out! :eek: :concern:
The show is 50 mins, and I'm sure it would be most likely to list the specials time as 48 mins, rather then 47 mins & 20 seconds or so.:frown:
It's not official and I don't want to assume this, but the time listing makes it look that way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Moving away from the question of editing for the moment, hehe, this show is just so special. Though it used to scare me a lot, lol, because of the toys freezing and the dark hallway shots.

Interestingly, it looks like the special's writer also wrote Fraggle episodes like "Gone But Not Forgotten." I really appreciate how deep and touching Muppet projects such as these could be. The toys in TCT aren't just all fun loving and happy, they have prejudices, and have to deal with being old and forgotten, not to mention ceasing to exist. Plus the whole idea of redemption and secon chances, you can't beat a special like this. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.