Save the Fozzie Replica

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

• Yes. money is no object

Votes: 123 45.2%
  • Yes. if he is $400-$600

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Yes. if he is less than $400

Votes: 92 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

muppetperson

Reaction score
Ugh, really? They didn't look much like the gelflings I know from my favorite film - The Dark Crystal. At least, not enough to call them great. Sideshow has done some wonderful Henson stuff to better demonstrate excellence. I've heard more complaints than praise about the Gelfling dolls. They are mostly considered a misstep.

I still believe that Muppet posers would be fantastic in the hands of Sideshow Toys. It is my belief that either Sideshow or FAO (after their recent wild success with the Whatnots) will take on Fozzie Bear.
I wouldnt call them ugly by any means.They are a great likeness.
Maybe they could have minor tweaks, such as longer necks and skin tone shading, and then I would upgrade them to fantastic!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt call them ugly by any means.They are a great likeness.
Maybe they could have minor tweaks, such as longer necks and skin tone shading, and then I would upgrade them to fantastic!
I guess we have a different definition of the term great. I reserve such praise for a higher standard. At best the dolls were passable sculpts with quality materials and articulation. However, the faces look quite wrong to me. Had the dolls looked better I would have purchased them long ago when they collected dust on a local store shelf.

Still, Fozzie could be "great" in their hands. Gelflings are difficult to get right.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I think they are just fine for something that is called 'dolls'. No, they are not replicas, they are just dolls. You cannot expect everything to look just like the original. They are just collecters pieces. I still think they are not that bad, could be a lot worse.

Bear Man

Reaction score
Sideshow sell many varied things.Remember that they also sold the Jen and kira Dark Crystal dolls.
Yes, but as others have mentioned the likeness was not spot-on. 1-to-1 replicas are also much more the exception rather than the rule for them. Also Sideshow's quality control is not great, they have no experience making this sort of product. In short, I'd be sad to see them get this, because I don't believe they'd be able to do it well. Sideshow's last attempt at Fozzie (the bust) was pretty bad, if you recall.

liquiterge

Reaction score
(Thank you.)

But hey, they could give the Muppets to someone worse. Like say, Gentle Giant.

Telly

Reaction score
I think ALL companies have their hits and their misses. A lot really depends on personal taste.:smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think ALL companies have their hits and their misses. A lot really depends on personal taste.:smirk:
I agree with that. Even with Sideshow's busts they had that Pac-Man looking Fozzie that some people liked, but the rest of the busts were pretty amazing by almost anyone's standards. Nobody will ever release a better Rowlf than they did.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Here is a Muppet newsflash-the prospective licensee is just waiting to receive the contract from Disney.They're anxious to begin and plan to have something to show at Comic Con.Disney are hopeful to get the contract to them very soon.So who is going to Comic Con this year?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here is a Muppet newsflash-the prospective licensee is just waiting to receive the contract from Disney.They're anxious to begin and plan to have something to show at Comic Con.Disney are hopeful to get the contract to them very soon.So who is going to Comic Con this year?
Top brands that come to mind: Sideshow/Weta, Gentle Giant, Medicom, Tonner. My money is on Sideshow.

However, it would be cool to see someone like Neca branch out into these unique poser items and maybe even retain a license to make figural representations too. I want to see some new Muppet stuff of all sorts as was the original plan with MR before upper management streamlined operations by slicing away at the unique products that made MR different from other companies.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I meant anybody from here going to Comic Con, who might be able to get some photographs for us? WOE are you going?BTW Comic Con is on July 23 to 26 in San Diego with a preview night on July 22.