Can Anybody Be Puppeteer?

Pork

Reaction score
It's rather discouraging to read all this - I've loved puppets my whole life and have always wanted to do something about it. But I give up easily and I don't know if I even have the skill - it would be heartbreaking if I didn't :/
I know what you mean. Like I really want to keep trying harder. And I know I will never stop making puppets...because I just love it so much. But I have like...a severe lack of confidence that is a nusance...not only with puppetry but with everything. However, I WILL try to overcome it.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
It's rather discouraging to read all this - I've loved puppets my whole life and have always wanted to do something about it. But I give up easily and I don't know if I even have the skill - it would be heartbreaking if I didn't :/
I know exactly what you mean, I've been doing puppetry for a year now, and throughout the past year, I've learned so much, and I'm proud to say that I've improved alot, particurally with building puppets. I still need to improve a little with moving the mouth of a puppet and writing for puppetry, but I'm sure after another year or two, I could confidently say that I am a puppeteer, but doesn't mean I'll be an expert or anything, because I'll still be learning. I believe that in anything you do, you always learn as you go, because no one knows everything there is to know about anything. You could be an expert in something and still be learning.

For example, I know a puppeteer, who's been doing puppetry for over 30 years and he told me, he's still learning and will continue to learn, because he doesn't know everything there is to know.

Another good example, I once e-mailed Rick Lazzarini, who provided the animatronic puppets, and special effects for many films, including Alien and Spaceballs. So, after many years of experience, he told me he was still learning.

So, just keep at it and you'll get somewhere. I'm sure even Jim Henson, Bil Baird, Burr Thomson, or any other famous puppeteer, felt the same way you did, but it took them a couple of years. Just keep at it and hang in there.

Hope this helps!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Somebody is probably going to get mad at me for pointing this out, but it's very interesting to read and compare these two quotes, they represent two very different approaches to learning puppetry:

The best puppeteers I have met are intensely self-critical; they don't beat themselves up, but they do understand that mastering something like puppetry is a never-ending process that requires constant self-improvement. As Muppetfan said, there are puppeteers who keep learning new things and improving even after decades of work.

Bazooka, while I don't think you can learn anything if you give up too easily, if you're just getting started in puppetry and you're able to acknowledge that puppetry is a difficult, skilled art form you can probably learn a lot more than someone who learns a bit and decides they have mastered it. I think it does take a long time to become a really good puppeteer, but the key thing is to just go out there and do it. The more you "just do it" the better you will be.

All of us have egos and we all like to think we're talented, but show me a puppeteer who thinks their work is beyond critique and I'll show you one who is not nearly as good as they think they are.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments, guys. I haven't actually gotten into working with puppets yet. I've never owned anything beyond a handpuppet you give to kids, sadly, because of lack of money. But, I'm hoping to save up for that new F.A.O. deal and get one of those as a "starter" puppet (assuming they're fully functional), which is exciting to me.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
The best puppeteers I have met are intensely self-critical; they don't beat themselves up, but they do understand that mastering something like puppetry is a never-ending process that requires constant self-improvement. As Muppetfan said, there are puppeteers who keep learning new things and improving even after decades of work.

Anytime I think of mastering something, I look to Phillip Huber as an example. The man takes up to four years to build and rehearse with a puppet before he performs it for an audience. Can you imagine? It takes and incredible amount of patience to be an incredible artist.

How amazing would the world think all puppeteers were if we took one or two years, let alone up to 4, to rehearse a performance before they saw our work? The dreamer in me says to push for it, but the impatient procrastinator says "I have a slam in 3 weeks...I wonder what I'll do..."

Also, Buck, I adore Alan! I'm fortunate that we have a portion of his collection in the museum at our theater, so I get to not only be exposed to & help set up these amazingly wonderful puppets, but I get to hear the stories as well. Where did you find that quote from him?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I believe it's like any art form. You can learn a lot, but actual natural talent is really important and not everyone has it. I guess puppetry seems like a much more accessible form of art because you can buy a hand puppet practically anywhere. It's really hard to be a decent puppeteer. I've tried it for years but know that I just won't ever be as good as professionals, but like any form of art, I think it's important to encourage others to try, if for no other reason then to help people appreciate and respect how difficult and beautiful it really is.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Also, Buck, I adore Alan! I'm fortunate that we have a portion of his collection in the museum at our theater, so I get to not only be exposed to & help set up these amazingly wonderful puppets, but I get to hear the stories as well. Where did you find that quote from him?
I love Alan too, he's the best. That quote came off the Puptcrit mailing list, where Alan frequently posts.