25th Anniversary Follow That Bird Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But things like FTB, and others... all that stuff was junked and unless someone had a copy of something in their basement (Weird Al had a VHS of all the stuff cut from UHF, and that's the only reason it existed).
Yeah I mean it's rather tragic that we've only recently realized the importance of preservation and all. Still, at least we are more aware of it now. :smile:

And I love your signature btw, Dr Tooth! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I mean it's rather tragic that we've only recently realized the importance of preservation and all. Still, at least we are more aware of it now. :smile:
Of course, some things, as I recounted earlier, should be best left in the trash. Too bad that you only realize that when seeing a 20-30 minute featurette of unfunny alternate lines and the cast and crew tripping over the same prop and smiling like idiots... I like my outtakes at the end of a movie over the end credits (being a Jackie Chan fan and all).

That said, I'm sure there were some great stuff from FTB we may never see or hear about ever again. And it would have been great to see all the cut sequences from all the other Muppet movies (Statler and Waldorf in TMM and MTM for one).... but then of course, a lot of cut scenes are just lengthened pauses and exchanges that need not see the light of day... which basically covers half the DVD's I've ever seen (But why the heck did they cut the 7 second frame animated Oogie Boogie dance from Nightmare Before Christmas? It was animated).

You know, I just happened to put Elmo in Grouchland in my Netflix instant cue so my daughter could watch it via my Xbox 360. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that IT WAS IN WIDESCREEN! So I guess a widescreen print must be available, just not on DVD.
My guess is that the DVD version is basically the VHS version with jump to a scene. It would be great to see it released during the 40th in a special edition with Wideframe too... (It ain't that bad of a movie... it ain't no FTB, but it ain't as bad as everyone made it out to be).

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I'm glad they're releasing a widescreen FTB. While not perfect, it's still better that the full screen version. The cover is okay, but not as good as the poster art from the first one. I think it got changed so people don't think it's the same release. Anyway, I am definitely getting this DVD. I held off getting the first one only because I hate fullscreen versions of widescreen movies. Now, I can get it and enjoy the orignal composition.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
you know what what would be cool, if there was an audio commentary with Carroll Spinney, director Ken Kwapis, and some other cast and crew members. I escpecially would like to hear how Ken Kwapis, took the approach of directing a children's film.

Kiki

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm quite happy with the features, I think they're pretty good. I know I'm being awfully picky, but still don't like the idea of Elmo being on the cover. I don't mind the little guy, but he only appeared in Follow That Bird fer about 2 seconds, he wasn't even a core character at the time, WHY is he on the cover? :confused: But I know we've been over this, so yeah. Can't wait! :excited:

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm quite happy with the features, I think they're pretty good. I know I'm being awfully picky, but still don't like the idea of Elmo being on the cover. I don't mind the little guy, but he only appeared in Follow That Bird fer about 2 seconds, he wasn't even a core character at the time, WHY is he on the cover? :confused: But I know we've been over this, so yeah. Can't wait! :excited:
this was mentioned already, but I think the reason he's one the cover is to get the attention of kids, who want to buy the movie, but to that's fale advertising, becuase then kids will be dissappointed that he's only in the movie for a few seconds.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
becuase then kids will be dissappointed that he's only in the movie for a few seconds.
Yeah but at that point, the parents have already spent their money, hehe. :wink:

I mean, I loved a certain movie when I was little, but then it got taped over. So my parents bought me a different version of the same story. At first I was really upset that it was different, and not what I wanted. But I eventually got over it and still enjoy it to this day.

Parents shouldn't be so concerned with catering to their kids' every whim. They should also introduce their kids to new things, so they don't grow up only caring about things in their little bubble. (That's the way many teenagers think today).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still think that's a pretty stupid move on SW's part...I know Elmo sells and all, but Ernie and Bert (especially Ernie) can too, and they had a much bigger part in the film. It's a branding thing if anything that Elmo's on the cover. I agree with what herald is saying, I do think some younger kids will notice an absence of Elmo... but hey, Elmo has his own movie. If kids would rather watch that, I mean, it's like 5 bucks at Target.

Though, I doubt that would seriously be issue enough with kids. it is an enthralling movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree with what herald is saying, I do think some younger kids will notice an absence of Elmo... but hey, Elmo has his own movie. If kids would rather watch that, I mean, it's like 5 bucks at Target.
Well what I was saying was kids should be taught to be open to new things, not always given just the movie they want. That's not a good precedent to set. That's what many critics say about Sesame Street, that's it's too much about instant gratification. Life and learning won't always be that easy. I think it would be good for kids to be introduce to a movie that's outside of their comfort level, like Follow That Bird. :smile:

The other day I saw a mother and child trying to pick a tape in the store. The kid was insisting on Teletubbies. The mother was slightly annoyed because the kid had seen that video a million times. I admired that mother's resolve. Kids have to be introduced to new things; they can't always be given exactly what they want.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
If I gave my kids everything they wanted when they wanted it I would have 4 very spoiled and disrespctfull kids on my hands. Wait a second i do have disrespectful kids on my hand, and I don't catter to there every I want!

Status
Not open for further replies.