Will The Muppet Show be on Blu-ray?

Eaglekiller

Reaction score
Is the Muppet Show coming to Blu Ray?

I would like to buy the first three seasons on DVD but if I knew it was going to be on Blu Ray I will wait. I searched google and found nothing.

Maybe someone here knows? Thanks.

:crazy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't see what Blu-ray would add to the Muppet Show experience unless they added the trivia track back in and incorporated scene selections. It doesn't appear to be a priority with Disney. TMS picture quality would be the same. However, I don't see why Disney hasn't released any of the films on Blu-ray yet. :confused:

Carnby

Reaction score
You might as well get the dvds. No offense to the Muppets of course, but the Muppet Show isn't exactly a top contendor or one of the popular choices for shows that need to go to Blu-Ray any time soon. I'd love to see it happen if they could really clean up the transfer, though I think the dvds are as good as the show's going to look. Otherwise, the only other pro to Blu-Ray would be less discs, which isn't a big deal at all. Maybe once all the seasons on dvd come out, they can do a Complete Series box set on Blu-Ray or something.

And hey, most Blu-Ray players upgrade dvds in picture quality a bit.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I agree with Jamie and Carnby. The sets we've gotten are probably the highest quality we'll get, which isn't bad at all.

I do think they might do at least a "Letters to Santa" in Blu-ray, since the broadcast was in HD on NBC (if you get that channel, if you pay for the service, yadda yadda). They look amazing in HD, I'm gonna save it on my DVR until it's released just in case they don't, then I can make my own, hee-hee.

Classic Muppets in HD would be fantastic!

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Well, Blu-ray would certainly be higher quality video, but I can't imagine the Muppets being very high on Disney's priority list for remastering to HiDef. But, it seems the season sets have sold well enough to eventually get the treatment.

I think that eventually we'll see a complete conversion of dvd to blu-ray but it may take years due to the state of the economy blu-ray isn't catching on as quickly as hoped. I look at it like the conversion of music from LP to CD.

As soon as they bring the prices of the players and discs down, I think more folks will get on board.

To make a long story short, I'd bet we'll see the movies in the next 2-3 years (especially if the new one gets made) and the tv seasons in 3-4 years – sooner if Blu-ray catches on quicker.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
As soon as they bring the prices of the players and discs down, I think more folks will get on board.
Personally, I'm waiting because I'm annoyed at the higher prices on the DVD's. I think the players are not priced badly, but I refuse to pay $10-20 more for the discs. I know there is a slightly higher cost in mastering and for the blank material, but it really doesn't cost them THAT much more.

Probably not too many people here old enough to remember when stereo records were first introduced, and for many years after, the price was higher for them than monaural. Each record was stamped out of exactly the same material, yet they charged more for the stereo. In reality, at some point, the extra cost went into the mono mix-down, while the stereo version was the primary one.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay more for stereo records, I'm not paying more for blu-ray discs. I already have an upscaling DVD player, so I can live without blu-ray until the disc prices are more reasonable.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm waiting because I'm annoyed at the higher prices on the DVD's. I think the players are not priced badly, but I refuse to pay $10-20 more for the discs. I know there is a slightly higher cost in mastering and for the blank material, but it really doesn't cost them THAT much more.

Probably not too many people here old enough to remember when stereo records were first introduced, and for many years after, the price was higher for them than monaural. Each record was stamped out of exactly the same material, yet they charged more for the stereo. In reality, at some point, the extra cost went into the mono mix-down, while the stereo version was the primary one.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay more for stereo records, I'm not paying more for blu-ray discs. I already have an upscaling DVD player, so I can live without blu-ray until the disc prices are more reasonable.

:stick_out_tongue:
The better Blu-ray discs have amazing features - up to twice as much or more than their DVD counterparts and I'm not talking special edition Blu-rays either. It's not just about the remastered picture. There are in-movie features that are worth the slightly higher price. They aren't taking advantage of the consumer.

If the Muppet Show hit Blu-ray I'd want to see them exploit the format by creating Picture in Picture commentary from performers and Muppet characters that can be pulled up while playing the episodes as well as behind the scenes features that can be accessed the same way as well. I'd also like to see a custom-made Muppety pop-up menu, captioned trivia morsels and have the extra space capacity utilized to cram more documentary footage.

There’s only so much the picture and sound can be upscaled / remastered. It really is all about the special features if TMS hits the big Blu. Otherwise it's just as WOE stated - a better picture that costs 10 bucks more.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Muppet Show may not make it to Blu-Ray. It was video-taped and it the late 70's-early 80's, that meant standard definition forever.

However, the movies should be put on Blu-Ray right away. :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely the first Muppet Blu-Ray disc will be the new theatrical film when it arrives on DVD.

Meepsterboy

Reaction score
^ Personally I'm hoping for restored releases of TMM, TGMC, and TMTM as "build-up" for the theatrical release, similar to their upcoming Blu releases of the original Toy Story films building up for Toy Story 3 in theaters.