Will The Muppet Show be on Blu-ray?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Muppet Show may not make it to Blu-Ray. It was video-taped and it the late 70's-early 80's, that meant standard definition forever.

However, the movies should be put on Blu-Ray right away. :smile:
Was TMS recorded straight onto VHS cassettes when they were filmed?
Is there no way the quality could be converted for Blu-Ray?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
^ Personally I'm hoping for restored releases of TMM, TGMC, and TMTM as "build-up" for the theatrical release, similar to their upcoming Blu releases of the original Toy Story films building up for Toy Story 3 in theaters.
Well Muppets Take Manhattan as well as Muppets from Space aren't owned by Disney, so they would have no say over those movies getting releases. However I wouldn't be surpised if Sony did cash in on the new theatrical release from Disney by re-releasing or maybe re-re-releasing those movies, I doubt for blu ray though and if they did re-re-release those movies, I very much doubt it will have any new bonus features, since the characters are of course owned by Disney.

As for the Muppet show getting a Blu-Ray release, I wouldn't bet on it. It doesn't seem like Blu-ray has much to offer older shows.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
Was TMS recorded straight onto VHS cassettes when they were filmed?
Is there no way the quality could be converted for Blu-Ray?
Not VHS per se, but it was some sort of standard def videotape. If they did release a Blu-Ray, it would just be upconverted, something that can easily be done by putting a DVD in a Blu-Ray player. As I said before, your best bet for a (good quality) Blu-Ray of the Muppets is Blur releases of the movies.

As for the Muppet show getting a Blu-Ray release, I wouldn't bet on it. It doesn't seem like Blu-ray has much to offer older shows**
**shot on videotape. The original Star Trek series got released on Blu and it looks fantastic. Granted, the old version of the effects look wonky, but they were produced on the cheap. If a show was shot on film, it can more than easily make a good, if not great, Blu-Ray release. Sadly, The Muppet Show wasn't one of those shows. :boo:

MLR930

Reaction score
I don't think it would be that hard to be put on blu ray, I think if they can do it with The Wizard of Oz which is ancient lol you can pretty much do it with anything. I already own seasons 1 - 3 so it doesn't matter to me, when you put DVDs in Blu Ray players they automatically look clearer but not by much.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I don't think it would be that hard to be put on blu ray, I think if they can do it with The Wizard of Oz which is ancient lol you can pretty much do it with anything. I already own seasons 1 - 3 so it doesn't matter to me, when you put DVDs in Blu Ray players they automatically look clearer but not by much.
There's a difference though: Wizard of Oz was shot on film, the Muppet Show was shot on video. Oz worked because film has the picture information to make a Blu-Ray possible. I think the DVDs have the best picture quality that the show will ever have. Again, the movies are our best bets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Blu-Ray? I doubt we're gonna even get the rest of the series on REGULAR DVD at this point.