Sesame Street Picture Books

Grundgetta2800

Reaction score
Did anyone own any of the childrens book that came out in the 70's and 80's?

I had the one where Grover didn't want you to turn the page because he said there was a "Monster at the End of this book"

I also remember getting out "Ernie gets Lost" from the library. It potrays Ernie as a childlike character who goes to a department store with Maria and they get separated. I really was able to relate to this as a child, because it happened to me a couple of times.

Kiki

Reaction score
Hello Grunndgetta2800, and yup- I have a lot of SST books from the 70s, (mostly) 80s and 90s. Mostly Golden Books, but I have a few others too. I definately had 'The Moster At The End of This Book', in fact... i think that's still in print! I also have a sort-of sequal to it with Elmo, which came out in the 90s. Hmm... my memories a bit fuzzy at the moment, but once I get them all out (I put them in the garage not so long ago), I could post a list of them all. :smile:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
i had the treasury, which had some of the little golden books' content in it, shrunk down so more of their pages could fit on one treasury book page. my favorite part of that was grover's alphabet where he forms each of the letters with his cute little furry body,:super: and says rhymes & holds objects that begin with the letter, and as usual, over-exerts himself so the last picture is not a letter, it is a tired monster.

Grundgetta2800

Reaction score
i had the treasury, which had some of the little golden books' content in it, shrunk down so more of their pages could fit on one treasury book page. my favorite part of that was grover's alphabet where he forms each of the letters with his cute little furry body,:super: and says rhymes & holds objects that begin with the letter, and as usual, over-exerts himself so the last picture is not a letter, it is a tired monster.
This was back in the day before Elmo moved center stage... Grover used to be the cute monster everyone loved.

Kiki

Reaction score
I have a lot of random SSt books, but at the moment I can't find 'em all, so here's a list of my SSt Golden Book collection in no actual order...

Big Bird's Red Book (1977)
I Think That is is Wonderful (1984)
Grover Takes Care of baby (1987)
The Many Faces of Ernie (1979)
The day Snuffy Had The Sniffles (1988)
The Poky Little Puppy Comes to Sesame Street (1997)
The Monster at the End of this Book (1971)
Another Monster at the End of this Book (1996)
Oscar's Book (1975) ... by Jeff Moss!
"Kermit, Save the Swamp!" (1992) ...more Muppets, 'spose.
Grover's Guide to Good Manners (1992)
Happy and Sad, Grouchy and Glad (1992)
Sesame Street's Mother Goose Rhymes (1993)
Big Bird Brings Spring to Sesame Street (1985)
Big Bird Meets Santa Claus (1997)
Big Bird's Ticklish Christmas (1997)
I Can't Wait Until Christmas (1989)
"Me, Cookie!" (1994)
Fozzie's Funnies (1993)
The Together Book (1971)
From Trash to treasure (1993)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Know where a good place to find old SS books is? Goodwill. I was there just yesterday, and I found all these obscure old books and Sesame Street Library treasuries...

The first SS picture books that were written by staff members were my favorites... Monster at the End of the Book, The Oscar Book, How to Be a Grouch (written and drawn by Carol, so the book, in a sense WAS written by Oscar himself... LOVE that one.)

I have so much of these old ones lying around somehwere, but I don't know where exactly.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I know my sister has one book. Elmo's Tricky Tongue Twisters, which came out in 98/99, but I think that is the only one in my house.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They even released a few audiocasettes of the older books.

zns

Reaction score
Her are some books I would like to find (I'm not asking if anyone has these or not though):

-A Day in the Life of Ernie & Bert (1971)
-Big Bird's Blunder Book (1972)
-The Amazing Mumford and His Amazing Subtraction Trick (1972)
-Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street (1975)
-The Sesame Street Book of Fairy Tales (1976)
-The Sesame Street Mix-&-Match Storybook (1977)
-What Ernie & Bert Did on Their Summer Vacation (1978)
-I Like School (1980)
-Fooled You Bert (1981)
-The Sesame Street Players Present Mother Goose (1982)