Your Thoughts: The New Electric Company

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say, I really enjoyed it... and it really borrows from so much to make the show relevant for today's kids, while not looking like it's pandering. The show doesn't try to be the original in some aspects, and in others, it follows the same spirit. I kinda miss the sketch comedy style utilized in the first one, but I think it's better that they make it sort of like Sesame Street or Between the Lions... making one story line throughout the episode, breaking it up commercial style with other segments.

Sure, it seems like a product of current times... but that's what makes this series and a lot of SW's projects work. The 70's EC came off of a time when Laugh in was king, and SNL was just starting up... Square One was very 80's and felt a lot like the 1980's SNL... this has a feel that really works... using a Super Hero plot for the main show, in the vein of Heroes (not obvious, and running around in tights with goofy code names), but lighter hearted with musical numbers. I do dare say it borrows a bit of HSM (gag), but completely improves on it. And adding a "web video" segment with the Pranksters was genius. It reminds me, almost, of the new Kamen Rider series.....

That said, they kept Soft Shoe silhouettes and updated it, while keeping a retro feel to it. And the connecting segments really keep in spirit of the old series (though, they seem more like something out of Square One, almost). My favorite would have to be the animated segments with the old guy and the weird guy. They really seem to be the animated stars... sort of like Letterman. I also liked that Jack Bowser thing.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I have to say, I really enjoyed it... and it really borrows from so much to make the show relevant for today's kids, while not looking like it's pandering. The show doesn't try to be the original in some aspects, and in others, it follows the same spirit. I kinda miss the sketch comedy style utilized in the first one, but I think it's better that they make it sort of like Sesame Street or Between the Lions... making one story line throughout the episode, breaking it up commercial style with other segments.

Sure, it seems like a product of current times... but that's what makes this series and a lot of SW's projects work. The 70's EC came off of a time when Laugh in was king, and SNL was just starting up... Square One was very 80's and felt a lot like the 1980's SNL... this has a feel that really works... using a Super Hero plot for the main show, in the vein of Heroes (not obvious, and running around in tights with goofy code names), but lighter hearted with musical numbers. I do dare say it borrows a bit of HSM (gag), but completely improves on it. And adding a "web video" segment with the Pranksters was genius. It reminds me, almost, of the new Kamen Rider series.....

That said, they kept Soft Shoe silhouettes and updated it, while keeping a retro feel to it. And the connecting segments really keep in spirit of the old series (though, they seem more like something out of Square One, almost). My favorite would have to be the animated segments with the old guy and the weird guy. They really seem to be the animated stars... sort of like Letterman. I also liked that Jack Bowser thing.
I love it too! I know, It's very funny and learning too! And I love Jack Bowser too!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. I told my mom (who i don't think cares less what i have to say) that this version of Electirc Company seems alot better then the older one but not to say i don't like the original verison but i'm able to get more into this one then i am the older EC. Can't wait for more episodes. Me and two of my neice watched it till the older one left and it was just me and middle neice. This is going to be one of the only other PBS shows i'll tune in on. Thanks Sesame Workshop for making another seires of an older show. *hugs and kisses*

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. I told my mom (who i don't think cares less what i have to say) that this version of Electirc Company seems alot better then the older one but not to say i don't like the original verison but i'm able to get more into this one then i am the older EC. Can't wait for more episodes. Me and two of my neice watched it till the older one left and it was just me and middle neice. This is going to be one of the only other PBS shows i'll tune in on. Thanks Sesame Workshop for making another seires of an older show. *hugs and kisses*
Yeah, to me the old show was good and it was classic and I was lucky to be a second generation who grew up with the original show in reruns.

But Just because the older one was good, that doesn't make this one bad, this really is a really good show! I woudln't even compare it to Between the Lions because it kind of is it's own thing.

But one thing I realy love that they did is that the effect and anyhin that could be precived as a gimmick does not over shadow the show at all. And I just love the actors who play the praksters, That are amazig! That play it so well!

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
Electric Company is perfect 10 in my book! Oh! one more thing! Do The Pranksters have an evil plan to kidnap the Electric Company gang!

Erine81981

Reaction score
JEANYLASER said:
Electric Company is perfect 10 in my book! Oh! one more thing! Do The Pranksters have an evil plan to kidnap the Electric Company gang!
Not in the first episode they don't. Also i thought it was neat to see they own a diner. And it's called "The Electric Diner." Now that's pretty neat too.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I was thinking of The Pranksters had an evil plan to kidnap the Electric Company gang! In the second season!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I was thinking of The Pranksters had an evil plan to kidnap the Electric Company gang! In the second season!
We'll know when they get to season two. In the meantime, season one has just started airing! :big_grin: