What if Disney bought Sesame Street too.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Ok here's an interesting question that I know some of this forum won't want to think about, but what if along with the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House, Disney also got Sesame Street as well.

I was just reading about it on Muppet Wikia and thinking and it stated that Disney was wanting to bought that but Jim Henson said "that was a deal breaker"

Here is the link if anyone wishes to check it out, I'm sure most people here already knew of it anyway...

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Disney

But I was just thinking about it. What if it had happen? What would Sesame Street be like now? I guess one postive thing about it is that money won't be a problem for the SS crew anymore.

What do you all think?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sesame Street wouldn't have the same quality under Disney's direction. Sesame Workshop is not only an educational entertainment property, but a globally conscious and philanthropic one that has no agenda except to enlighten and educate. Disney is a dollars and cents company and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not for Big Bird and company.

The Muppet Show characters are better suited for Disney ownership because they are primarily about singing, dancing and making people happy without any other agenda. Sure, they enlighten and educate sometimes as well, but they don't have the same mission statement of responsibility that Sesame Street has maintained for nearly 40 years. I'm also glad that Disney doesn't have the Fraggles either. They would have under the original deal. I always felt that would have been a bad fit.

And that's what it's all about. Disney isn't any more or less evil than any other corporation. Sesame Street merely doesn't work for their brand of business. Sesame Workshop wants to do good in the lives of children first and then figure out how to fund it. Profit is the only thing that drives the Mouse.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Ok here's an interesting question that I know some of this forum won't want to think about, but what if along with the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House, Disney also got Sesame Street as well.
Thanks for making me throw up just a little inside.

I was just reading about it on Muppet Wikia and thinking and it stated that Disney was wanting to bought that but Jim Henson said "that was a deal breaker"
And I concur whole-heartedly with him.

But I was just thinking about it. What if it had happen? What would Sesame Street be like now? I guess one postive thing about it is that money won't be a problem for the SS crew anymore.
If it had happened, we'd see Disney sit on it for awhile. Any education value would devolve to Teletubby standards (like, it's educational if you're a vegetable). Mickey would be on the Street, or worse ... inserts would be nothing but Disney commer-- oops, cartoons. Only good thing: Kermit wouldn't have to be ignored like he is now.

Being awash in cash, I am sad to say, is really what fits SS. Before anyone hangs me, let me explain: Imagine what started out to be a low-middle-class neighborhood turning into the Magic Kingdom or bulldozed in favor of high-rent condos. You know the Mouse wouldn't let it be ghetto at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am trying hard, with every fiber of my being to not turn this into a rant out on Bob Iger..... dude's a horse's hindquarters, though.

Well, we'd see a LOT LOT LOT LOT more Elmo. That's all I can say. And it would probably be on Playhouse Disney, which means it would be even more like a crummy Nick Jr. show.

Oh yeah, and they'd try to shove as many of Disney's flavor of the month bands and starlets into the project as possible into every episode.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's Hannah Montana Sesame Street month with Elmo and Elmo's best friend Elmo! Kidding, of course. :stick_out_tongue:

mikebennidict

Reaction score

Henson wouldn't have any control over Disney Buying the CTW.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta get my hands on that Street Gang book. Didn't Eisner set his sites on getting these guys too at one point?

SSLFan

Reaction score
I gotta get my hands on that Street Gang book. Didn't Eisner set his sites on getting these guys too at one point?
Yep.

If Di$ had bought Sesame, then(as someone has said) we would be seeing A LOT more Elmo, and Abby probably would have been thought of earlier on. I think the only postive thing is we would get more episodes.

Another bad thing is instead of SSL...it would be Sesame Street On Ice. Ick.:grouchy: