What if Disney bought Sesame Street too.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Sesame Street wouldn't have the same quality under Disney's direction. Sesame Workshop is not only an educational entertainment property, but a globally conscious and philanthropic one that has no agenda except to enlighten and educate. Disney is a dollars and cents company and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not for Big Bird and company.

Very well said frogboy4, my friend, good way of putting it.

Henson wouldn't have any control over Disney Buying the CTW.
Yea that's true Henson wouldn't have any control over Disney buying the CTW or as it's now called Sesame workshop. But that's not what Disney was interested in buying they wanted the characters, which before Jim passed was under the rights to the Henson company.

Another note is this is just my way of thinking, I don't know, but everyone is saying there would be a lot more Elmo. I'm not totally sure about that since Elmo popularity bloomed in the 90's, this was something that was happening during the 80's, which it seems like the only time Disney even had a small chance of buying the SS characters. But maybe everyone is right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street wouldn't have the same quality under Disney's direction. Sesame Workshop is not only an educational entertainment property, but a globally conscious and philanthropic one that has no agenda except to enlighten and educate. Disney is a dollars and cents company and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not for Big Bird and company.
The sad thing is, I didn't even think of that. SW does a LOT of amazing stuff all over the world, trying to use their vision (as well as Henson's) to spread peace and love and respect the way that not even certain parents can give. After all, sometimes hate can skip a generation if the generation is willing to ignore it. Look at Sesame Tree, Rechov Sesam and all those ones they put up in volatile nations.

Imagine what started out to be a low-middle-class neighborhood turning into the Magic Kingdom or bulldozed in favor of high-rent condos. You know the Mouse wouldn't let it be ghetto at all.
Considering how cleaned up the street is no from where it was 40 years ago, that's saying something. It's like in real life, some contractor would start up gentrifying the neighborhood, replacing the apartments with Luxury condos and making Hoopers the Organic Market and all that. I have to say, seeing Hoopers have that large metal cage door that they use in tough neighborhoods made me feel depressed, but at least it's one thing still inner city about it. But that's another thread for another time.

As for the cartoons during intermission... I always did like when popular toon guest stars popped in every so often. Pink Panther, Beetle Baily, Bugs Bunny that one time. That was great. I don't know how I'd fel if Mikey was in there... though it would be funny to see a Goofy "how to" style short about the letter of the day.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
While it's fun to imagine the possibilites at the Disney theme parks for the SST characters, I just don't think Disney is the right company to handle Sesame Street. I doubt Disney would put as much money into the property compared to what Sesame Workshop does as an independent organization.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Can you imagine? There'd be an Elmo ride at Disney World. And they'd milk the little guy for all he's worth, even more than they do now.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Can you imagine? There'd be an Elmo ride at Disney World. And they'd milk the little guy for all he's worth, even more than they do now.
Which I hear is what's happened at Sesame Place, which disapoints me. Like the show, the park used to be more of an ensemble piece.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I don't think it would be a good idea if Disney bought Sesame Street too.
Well I didn't say it would be a good idea, just a what if question.

But yeah SST would be a totally different show and not for the better I can agree with that, I just thought it would would be interesting to discuss.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Well I didn't say it would be a good idea, just a what if question.

But yeah SST would be a totally different show and not for the better I can agree with that, I just thought it would would be interesting to discuss.
Oh, I see.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also don't think it would be a good idea. SS has already had to sacrifice a lot of itself in order to stay afloat. Disney would change things even more.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also don't think it would be a good idea. SS has already had to sacrifice a lot of itself in order to stay afloat. Disney would change things even more.
And what's worse... let's just say that stuff was no longer profitable... They probably stick it in the Disney Dumpster like they did with the Disney Afternoon, the Saban Library they got after buying The Family Channel, and lots of other little things like that... only to be pulled out for an incomplete series of DVD's.