Sesame Street Anounces Layoffs

mikebennidict

Reaction score
CNN has a story about it that includes pics of the MC forum. You can see it here (I hope);

<http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2009/03/12/moos.sesame.street.layoffs.cnn>

Beyond that-- what Jamie said. Products are produced by other companies who license the rights-- approval of new products may be a bit slow but it won't stop as that is a huge moneymaker. We'll still see new episodes and Muppets won't disappear.
Could you please repost this so we don't have to retype the whole link?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think they can't go wrong with making more Big Bird, Grover, and Cookie Monster toys again :smile:. Maybe even a new Telly and a Honker now that Follow That Bird is being put out again...Or ooo..A 'bluebird of happiness' version of Big Bird :smile:! That might do well...

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I feel so sorry for the people fired :frown: I certainly know what it's like to not have a job. I hope this economy gets better soon!

SSLFan

Reaction score
This is awful. And CNN didn't make it any better by making fun of it.

Just in time for the 40th season...

Man,...if I had a million dollars, I would donate it to the workshop(maybe they could produce more episodes?). This recession is just a bad nightmare and it really has hit close to home...the street, that is.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I thought news people were supposed to just report the news and not make light of such things.

Since when did this begin?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Wow, for a 40th year series, that is one bad present to start things off. :sympathy:

Still, I don't understand how a non-profit organization like Sesame workshop is able to keep all of those people on the payroll and still have to cut some people off ? :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought all that Tickle Me Elmo was making millions of dollars for SW?

I bet if they began marketing the classic characters again--the way they used to do--they would see more money from products.
If you reread some of what I said, while TME and TMX made a fortune for the series, Elmo Live (pegged to have been the it toy) came out at a bad financial time, and SW is hurting from the lack of profits that it could have made, had it came out a year earlier. And while SS gets corporate funding, most of that stuff goes to PBS to air the show. They get most of their funding from TMX and all their merchandise. No people buying the merchandise= less money they get.

I'm doing my part by buying up as much T-Shirts as I can. :sing:

zns

Reaction score
I'm really starting to get worried about this, but only a little bit. It's scary knowing what has been going on in the news lately, but I don't think that Sesame Workshop is going to pull the plug on their operations. They will probably try to get more help and fiancial aid from other services if needed.