Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I really think the line about Gonzo not playing the minister really makes the MTM relationship look like they were playing themselves in a movie, and the relationship was purely a plot device. That is, if they kept it in the movie.

But wasn't that Gonzo supposed to play the minister in Manhattan Melodies, not in Muppets Take Manhattan...so technically in the Muppeverse they would be wed, right? Unless you would take it as each movie seems to rewrite the Muppeverse and completely change the origin stories and relationships completely (which is my opinion) and therefore the relationship was merely for that movie only.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I always viewed Muppets Take Manhattan as a sequel to TMM, as origins aren't really addressed in the latter. I always assumed their rich and famous contract enabled them to go to college ... note how Kermit said he was shocked that they could go (IIRC). So, to me at least, MTM never rewrote anything. Muppet Babies was a dream sequence ... which was then completely messed up with MFC. Other than that, though, MTM never really messes anything up, as far as I'm aware.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I guess where I get the impression that MTM overwrites history is that Kermit is so hesitant to go Broadway considering somehow they got to Hollywood and made a movie. They already had clout...wouldn't they be able to call someone up and get hooked up to a producer? That would have been Stage 1 of the plan...not go through the Classifieds and pick random producers.

I mean maybe the first one but once they almost got taken by Dabney Coleman or thrown out once by someone else some Muppet should have said "Hey, let's call up Orson Welles or whoever that dude was and maybe he can hook us up for a musical on Broadway. After all, it might lead to a sequel movie for him or at least drum up interest in the one already made."

Given they made no reference at all to have already met and made a Hollywood film, I assumed this was another origin story reboot with them meeting at college.

Nick22

Reaction score
i dont know why it rully matters what messed things up. they're both amazing movies, and i honestly could care less about what got messed up, cause rully nothing did. i thnik redpiggy got it spot on. it's just kind of a sequel.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
MuppetMazz said:
I guess where I get the impression that MTM overwrites history is that Kermit is so hesitant to go Broadway considering somehow they got to Hollywood and made a movie. They already had clout...wouldn't they be able to call someone up and get hooked up to a producer? That would have been Stage 1 of the plan...not go through the Classifieds and pick random producers.
But it's not the seventies anymore, either. You can be a star one year and a homeless guy the next. He wanted a rich and famous contract -- he failed to mention "for all eternity". That's how contracts work ... pay attention to the fine print. :smile: Besides, Kermit's characterization always has him doubt the big dreams, like he feels he can't pull it off.

Given they made no reference at all to have already met and made a Hollywood film, I assumed this was another origin story reboot with them meeting at college.
Except I don't recall them ever saying they met in college. We could just as well assume they met somewhere else. The way Kermit words it in his speech, it sounds like the Muppets were admitted as a group, more or less.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
i dont know why it rully matters what messed things up. they're both amazing movies, and i honestly could care less about what got messed up, cause rully nothing did. i thnik redpiggy got it spot on. it's just kind of a sequel.

Don't get me wrong...I never said anything got "messed up". They are all great movies, no doubt. I just always view the stroylines in each as encapsulated as a story for that movie and not really sequels. If they are to be treated as sequels I am just thinking how it would play into everything else.

So was the order MM, MTM, Muppet Show, GMC? GMC was absolutely out of the normal timeline. I would assume that the Muppet Show didn't happen before either movie, it would have had to come after.

Would love to get some updated info on this current film.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
So was the order MM, MTM, Muppet Show, GMC? GMC was absolutely out of the normal timeline. I would assume that the Muppet Show didn't happen before either movie, it would have had to come after.
Depends on your outlook, I guess. The Muppet Movie was framed by "the present", so it's arguable whether or not it predates TMS (and even that's ignoring Kermit's comment that it's not exactly a literal representation of how they met, which makes it sound like MM is Kermit's dream of what happened, and MTM's Muppet Babies spot is Piggy's version). GMC is its own thing and unless you count the OOC moments, it doesn't really need a timeline, though obviously they all know each other at this point, so TMS and MM have happened. TMS has to technically predate the Muppet Movie because Kermit tells Roy Rogers that he just got through with their first movie.

Whatever the issues are, the Muppets sure make it hard to pin down a decent timeline. :big_grin:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Here is a Muppet News Flash!

I have just been on the Internet Movie Database and their article about the new Muppet movie states that it has pushed it back to 2012!

*Gets pelted with popcorn and empty candy boxes*

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
Here is a Muppet News Flash!

I have just been on the Internet Movie Database and their article about the new Muppet movie states that it has pushed it back to 2012!

*Gets pelted with popcorn and empty candy boxes*
hey, maybe that just means times getting taken to ensure the quality of the movie!:smirk:

Dont want a rushed movie....muppets from oz was rushed, and although had a few minor good points, kinda fell down as a whole IMO....or maybe im wrong and it took ages.....I was just so dissapointed in that, I was soooooo thrilled it was coming out that I maybe just overhyped myself....

Still, even if its pushed back, at least its officially announced.... :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
... the same IMDB that once said that Captain Smollet was the star of A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie?

Grain of salt, man....