Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, Fozzie does start to say Skeeter's name before getting interupted at the beginning and then we do finally get her full name at the end. But given the end and the arc as a whole, i'm just not getting why it needed to be some secret. Everyone had this weird case of amnesia about what Skeeter's name was throughout the arc and it all just seemed unnecessary. It's not like there was some big mystery as to who it was or if somehow Scooter had another or a different sister.
I'm starting to think that was Roger's plan. He wanted to make us THINK there was a specific reason why they couldn't mention her name when there probably wasn't. It's a VERY sneaky joke relying on "will they or won't they." it took me until after reading the issue to get that.

So, on cover B, was Roger's version of Wormwood modeled on someone in particular or was that simply how Langridge "saw" him and would have drawn him if he did the issue art proper?

it goes beyond that. Remember the postponed "Guest Stars" arc? It is my feeling that any tie to Sherlock Holmes in this issue was a mesh of left over Sherlock Holmes guest star issue concepts that were unused. Especially since Sherlock Holmes is going to be the next story arc for the Muppet Classics line. The cover seems like it was left over from guest star arc. I mean, he was paid to draw it, it was finished...

That said, anyone notice the bear resemblance to Sherlock Hemlock? It's all in the shape of the head.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er... Who's Wormwood? And who was the childhood friend Emily wanted to reintroduce to Fozzie? And does the cross-eyed lady from Issue #6 have a name?

Looking forward to the discussion for Issues #8-11, Muppet Mash. :batty: :scary:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Er... Who's Wormwood? And who was the childhood friend Emily wanted to reintroduce to Fozzie? And does the cross-eyed lady from Issue #6 have a name?
I have to dig issue 6 up to see if she did...

But Wormwood Soams is basically you're standard Sherlock Holmes parody character... says elementary... wears that brown plaid hat and coat... had the same head shape as Sherlock Hemlock, but no nose and a thinner mustache.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And does the cross-eyed lady from Issue #6 have a name?
No, she's never referred to by name. I wonder if Amy can tell us what she was called in the script. I would either call her "Cross-eyed Lady" or "Carpet Overstock Lady" (since she later reveals that she works for a place called Carpet Overstock).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What's up with Gonzo's nose? It's getting cutsier and cutsier when it used to look so wonderful in the Pan issues. Oh well, the rest of the art looks really nice. :concern:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's especially obvious in the second panel of the second B&W page. It looks like he's doing "the nose ball."

My theory is that either Gonzo has had his nose bobbed or it's very cold backstage.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's especially obvious in the second panel of the second B&W page. It looks like he's doing "the nose ball."

My theory is that either Gonzo has had his nose bobbed or it's very cold backstage.
Hehe. I keep thinking since the inclusion of Skeeter that the artist style sheet keeps getting mixed up with the more bulbous-nosed Baby Gonzo. Amy had it so perfectly nailed in Pan so I don't understand this funky turn into cutsifying him. Gonzo is, afterall, my favorite Muppet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems to be a relaxation of style. It happens. Again, look at the earliest Guy Gilchrist Muppet Comic strip and look at any of the later ones. The look more like Muppet Babies because it's closer to his natural style and it gradually eased and relaxed into that.

That said, if you look at the Link Hogthrob Amy drew on the cover of Pigs in Space issue 0 and one of the ones in the comic strip, he looks more cartoony... but it works better because it's more expressive.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I got my copy of issue #7 yesterday, and it is good. I've read some things about how it ends, but even then I really wasn't expecting what did happen. I was expecting it to end with a scene with the celestial Statler and Waldorf ending their game (and all we get of the game's ending is a view of them in the background in the sky throwing the game). Actually, I was expecting it to end either that way or with Skeeter's name being the last word said. I was expecting Skeeter's name to be used to dramatic effect, and I feel it was, but the use wasn't really that worthwhile. I was expecting somethign more along the lines of Scooter saying "Goodbye,.... Skeeter..."

If Wormwood Soams was an actual Muppet character, I'd expect him to have been performed by Richard Hunt. The character does have a bit of resemblance to Wayne.

It's a shame that Skeeter was hardly in any on-stage acts (just Gonzo's act in issue #4 and the closing number in this issue). In issue #5 Andy and Randy are on-stage for The Swedish Chef's act, but I think Skeeter should have been there instead (after all, Andy and Randy actually made an intelligent observation in that skit). They could have made Skeeter a Veterinarian's Hospital patient (that segment is absent from all four issues), or had her help Beaker in Muppet Labs, or maybe participated in Muppet Sports.

It seems like this is the first storyarc to NOT contain a Muppet News segment.

It was decided to make details of this storyarc a secret until the first issue came out, to the point where covers for issues 4 and 5 were not even shown online until the previews came out (online stores included alternate covers from the very first Muppet Show Comic Book issue in place of the actual covers), but Skeeter does not appear in any of the main covers, just a few exclusive alternate covers. It makes sense to have made the issue #5 covers a secret, but otherwise what was the big deal of keeping issue #4 covers a secret?