Do you feel bad for liking Sesame Street?

ssetta

Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, a lot of people have said some pretty mean and nasty things to me for liking Sesame Street. It's mainly because most people don't find it okay for adults to watch it, since it's mainly aimed at kids. Here is an example of what someone said to me about it:

hi
Yes?

why is it that everyone tells me so much stuff that I don't like?
Because it's common sense, which you obviously lack.

but I know a lot of people my age that like kids shows!
And?

If they jumped off the cliff, would you/

but why is it a bad thing? I don't understand!
Because you should be watching things more relevant to your age to help you grow as a person, not stuck back when you're 8.

what would you do if you had a son who was 16 years old that loved SS?
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!
I would block the channel.

Yes, she is.

what do you mean?
do you watch TV at all?
why do you think they have celebrity appearances?
hello?
Yes, I watch TV.

Of course.

I would ask if you're retarded, but....that's pretty much already answered.

but I don't understand why it's harmful
I mean, can it do bad things to you?
BECAUSE YOU'RE 16 NOT 8.

LET IT GO.

DROP IT.

GROW UP.

IT'S GETTING YOU STUCK IN CHILDHOOD. IT'S NOT ALLOWING YOU TO THINK FOR YOUSELF.

IT'S NOT LETTING YOU THINK AND SAY "HEY HOW WOULD NORMAL PEOPLE HANDLE THIS?"

but I know people who watch Sesame Street
they work on it
No instead you think, "How would a 9 year old handle this?"

SO WHAT?

so it's okay for adults to like it!
If they shot themselves, would you!

10:54 PM
what TV shows do you watch?
Shows.

And not kid ****.

you don't know what autism is
Um, okay.

I work with foster children-whom-out of the 11, 8 of them have it.

So don't try to say I don't know what crap is.

Kthxbye

how old are they?
Lots of different ages

do they like kids shows?
No, they like being outside.

They like social interaction.

With people close to them.

so, they're different than me
Obviously.

but a lot of people think that TV in general really isn't good for you
and so if you're going to use your time watching TV, you should be watching something productive
Okay stop talking to me about SS.

This is just ridiculously stupid.

You're 16, not 8.

no I'm not 16
I'm 23
SO THAT MAKES IT WORSE.

Goodbye.

That's just one example. It really hurt me very badly. Anyway, because of things like this, I actually feel bad about it a lot more now than I did like 5 years ago. I've been an MC member for quite some time now, and as you probably know, I really didn't have a problem with it then. But I've gotten older, and sort of have been "slapped in the face of reality," and it's obvious that more people have a problem with it than not. And I can sort of understand why people see it as a "baby show." See, because I (and a lot of other MC members) have autism, it often keeps me from seeing things clearly, and one of my big weaknesses is reading comprehension, and that may be one of the main reasons why I find SS interesting, because most adults actually think it's boring. I mean, sure, some adults may think it's a cool show, but they're not going to like willingly watch it, even if they have time.

So, I really do feel bad for liking the show now, and a part of me wishes that I didn't. But I feel like I CAN'T give it up, because I love the show. And if you have a show that you love, it's like you have to see it. You know what I mean?

Anyway, what do you people think of all this?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
My parents don't mind me watching Sesame Street. But I keep it a secrit at school.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
H*ll no! I have ammassed a cult following as the music and SST nerd at my school. If you say something about SS, I will interject and spurt out random facts. I am a proud fan!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, a lot of people have said some pretty mean and nasty things to me for liking Sesame Street. It's mainly because most people don't find it okay for adults to watch it, since it's mainly aimed at kids. Here is an example of what someone said to me about it:

hi
Yes?

why is it that everyone tells me so much stuff that I don't like?
Because it's common sense, which you obviously lack.

but I know a lot of people my age that like kids shows!

And perhaps it's best you stay away from people who are like that.
And?

If they jumped off the cliff, would you/

but why is it a bad thing? I don't understand!
Because you should be watching things more relevant to your age to help you grow as a person, not stuck back when you're 8.

what would you do if you had a son who was 16 years old that loved SS?
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!
I would block the channel.

Yes, she is.

what do you mean?
do you watch TV at all?
why do you think they have celebrity appearances?
hello?
Yes, I watch TV.

Of course.

I would ask if you're retarded, but....that's pretty much already answered.

but I don't understand why it's harmful
I mean, can it do bad things to you?
BECAUSE YOU'RE 16 NOT 8.

LET IT GO.

DROP IT.

GROW UP.

IT'S GETTING YOU STUCK IN CHILDHOOD. IT'S NOT ALLOWING YOU TO THINK FOR YOUSELF.

IT'S NOT LETTING YOU THINK AND SAY "HEY HOW WOULD NORMAL PEOPLE HANDLE THIS?"

but I know people who watch Sesame Street
they work on it
No instead you think, "How would a 9 year old handle this?"

SO WHAT?

so it's okay for adults to like it!
If they shot themselves, would you!

10:54 PM
what TV shows do you watch?
Shows.

And not kid ****.

you don't know what autism is
Um, okay.

I work with foster children-whom-out of the 11, 8 of them have it.

So don't try to say I don't know what crap is.

Kthxbye

how old are they?
Lots of different ages

do they like kids shows?
No, they like being outside.

They like social interaction.

With people close to them.

so, they're different than me
Obviously.

but a lot of people think that TV in general really isn't good for you
and so if you're going to use your time watching TV, you should be watching something productive
Okay stop talking to me about SS.

This is just ridiculously stupid.

You're 16, not 8.

no I'm not 16
I'm 23
SO THAT MAKES IT WORSE.

Goodbye.

That's just one example. It really hurt me very badly. Anyway, because of things like this, I actually feel bad about it a lot more now than I did like 5 years ago. I've been an MC member for quite some time now, and as you probably know, I really didn't have a problem with it then. But I've gotten older, and sort of have been "slapped in the face of reality," and it's obvious that more people have a problem with it than not. And I can sort of understand why people see it as a "baby show." See, because I (and a lot of other MC members) have autism, it often keeps me from seeing things clearly, and one of my big weaknesses is reading comprehension, and that may be one of the main reasons why I find SS interesting, because most adults actually think it's boring. I mean, sure, some adults may think it's a cool show, but they're not going to like willingly watch it, even if they have time.

So, I really do feel bad for liking the show now, and a part of me wishes that I didn't. But I feel like I CAN'T give it up, because I love the show. And if you have a show that you love, it's like you have to see it. You know what I mean?

Anyway, what do you people think of all this?

You know.

I don't mind you or anyone discussing liking SS even then you're past the target. I myself over the years have found myself watching SS long past that point quite often.

Sometimes still do.

But must you repeat every single thing people have said to you here on the message boards?

Can you do it in a more decent manner?

I think these conversations are good but let's not put the drama into it.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, you see, I think what that person right there was saying, was that she thinks it will encourage you to act like a little kid, rather than an adult. See, I tried telling her that the show can be seen from an adult's perspective, and she said "Well, I agree, but I don't fully believe you." So it's like she thinks I see the show in a kid way too, considered some of the things I've said. And I have to admit, that I think that may be true. I am 24 years old, and I have noticed that a lot of my old high school friends are starting to settle down with their lives, apply for full-time permanent jobs, and many have even gotten married, and some have even had kids. But me? I still think I'm pretty much the same as I was when I was 12.

Also, one thing that I have actually noticed about Sesame Street, is that they always make everything out to have a more positive ending than what would happen in the real world. The truth is, in real life, there are a lot of issues that will not always have a happy ending. And this is because it is a program that is designed for children, and you can get away with a LOT more things when you're a little kid. But if somebody sees a 24-year-old man crying because nobody wants to be his friend, they will know that something is wrong. I actually have a LOT of trouble conforming, because it's like I often feel like I'm in my own personal world.

In other words, I think it's okay to enjoy Sesame Street just for fun, but if you're going to use it as an influence on real life (as an adult), it's another thing. It's because as an adult, people are going to expect a LOT more of you, and people are not going to be willing to "baby you" through necessary procedures in life. In the real world, Grover the Waiter would have been fired from that job at Charlie's restaurant, if you know what I mean.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My parents know that I watch some kids shows but they don't mind too much I think because I also watch other things and keep up with the news, hehe. And because I also try to write about and analyze these shows, that makes it a bit more legitimate. Basically, if you can get good grades or money from your interest, people appreciate it more, heh.

Most of my friends don't mind because they watch the occasional kids shows too, lol. But I think the key is really balance.

I did have one friend recently who saw my copy of Street Gang and said, "What are you 12?" Which is funny because 12 isn't even the "proper" age for Sesame Street, hehe. But yeah it was a little annoying because I tried to explain the show used to be more multilayered but he still didn't quite get it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yep. The kids at school would not think well of me if they found out I still like it.

However, some girl during play practice saw me watching an SS video on my laptop and she didn't mind, claiming she likes the show.

But, one thing I hate is when people refer to the show as "Elmo's World".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was usually pretty willing to make my interests known at school, even if I knew they wouldn't be popular. Not that I always had it easy, people could be very cruel. I just felt I had to stand up for myself I guess. Though, my male friends have told me it can be harder for boys than girls (i.e. boys can be even harder on their peers).

And yeah it also annoys me when people call it, "Elmo's World." That's why I'm showing my kids the Old School DVDs, hehe.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
ssetta; said:
In other words, I think it's okay to enjoy Sesame Street just for fun, but if you're going to use it as an influence on real life (as an adult), it's another thing. It's because as an adult, people are going to expect a LOT more of you, and people are not going to be willing to "baby you" through necessary procedures in life. In the real world, Grover the Waiter would have been fired from that job at Charlie's restaurant, if you know what I mean.
Well I think you're right, it is important to distinguish Television from real life. I think people misunderstand the purpose of art sometimes. Art is there to inspire us for our real lives, not to escape from real life.

There's nothing wrong with a show being optimistic and having happy endings. Again, that's inspirational. We are inspired by art to try and make a better world. As long as we realize happy endings take a bit more effort in real life. And personal responsibility is an important thing to learn. :smile:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I've been blessed to have very tolerant classmates and members of my community whom have little to no problem with me liking Sesame Street. I wear SST and Muppet shirts to school all the time and always get compliments for them, for instance.