Do you feel bad for liking Sesame Street?

Kiki

Reaction score
When you get to be my age, it doesn't matter so terribly much what people think. I still watch "kiddie" stuff :wink: Heck, a few months ago I saw a Sesame Street shirt in the teen section of a clothing store (and almost bought it, but I really didn't have the money, darnit!).

If you love Sesame Street, don't feel bad about it. Love what you love, or else you'll end up unhappy :frown:
Exactly. I mean, seriously, who gives a rats? Whoever does, they have too much time on their hands. I mean, there are more things important, y'know? They should... find a hobby or something. XP But seriously, if you like something, don't be afraid to admit and if someone "does not approve" (...pfft)- blow them! Tell them to get a life! I wish people could respect eachother's opinions more, y'know?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I mean it really just depends on the person. Some guys were just as nasty to me about the Beatles as girls. And some boys I knew were terrified of going against their "pack." Still, I went to a very jock-oriented school, hehe.

Yet there were other boys were more easy going and kind. And I will admit there were thankfully some kinds girls as well. :smile:
I agree. I mean not all girls can be that way, and guys can be that way. It's just that from what I gather is that guys can be mean just to be mean and not really have a reason, while some girls can be mean over little things that don't matter all that much in the long run.

I don't know? I mean somtimes the girl/guy dynamic differ from the girl/girl or guy/guy one. There's that old saying that girls can be so stubborn that when there mind is made up, that's it, or that that can keep up too much drama and not let things go so easily, not let you live things down. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting down women or anything, but some generalizations can be based of some truths, you know? But guys can certainly be just like that too. And you are right that it all depends on the person.

There's just the sigma that with guys, it's more physical. and with girls it's more emotional and that is what is driving something like a grunge. It's like that emotional is more important them that physical. It's like guys can argue over something, but a guy will be more upset about being hit in the eye that what they were auguring over, where with girls, it's more the reason behind being hit rather than the actually hit itself. A guy will fight over the eye while a girl will keep up an argument over the reason behind the eye. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
But, one thing I hate is when people refer to the show as "Elmo's World".
It wouldn't bother me, since it's basically that way now. :big_grin:

I wouldn't see why this should still be a problem. I thought this was the era of the geeky nostalgia boom coming back... people wearing Transformer T-Shirts, begging people to put 80's cartoons on DVD... and yes, I've seen a LOT of interest in the muppets lately. Heck, the comic book sold out near me in most of the comic shops I went to.

I don't feel bad about anything I watch, nor should I. Anyone that dismisses Sesame Street's 40 years of service (being the longest running kid's show still on TV), and millions of fans across the world probably watches garbage like The Biggest Loser, making snarky comments about the fat contestants (as per the show's REAL premise... but that's another story for another day)... or worse... watching vicious stuff like something with Steve-O or online internet Bum fights and teenage Girl fights. Only thing that I didn't like about SS when I was in high school was the Tickle Me Elmo craze.

Sure, often times a skit will come on that gets me saying "I'm too old for this (Stuff! I said Stuff)." But that's rare, and it never has a Muppet in it. But other than that, I watch it to appreciate the puppeteers acting while pulling off their suspension of disbelief. I watch the animations and admire the hard working animators and voice actors bust their wrists and vocal chords to bring something even more lifeless (drawings) to life. I admire the craftmanship of the writing, and see where the writers actually want the adults to pay attention.

Remember, Kid's shows are often written by literary majors, and have a higher rate of esoteric humor than even the best adult shows. Need I mention Bullwinkle and the Ruby Yacht of Omar Kayam again?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I've watched SS since around 3 years old. I just turned 39, and I still turn on SS from time to time. I have never felt bad or ashamed for liking something that has given me enjoyment all of my life.:halo:

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I don't buy the whole "you have to leave behind everything from your childhood as you grow up" mindset. Some things, yeah, you don't need to keep with you forever, but that isn't everything. If you still enjoy something, or get positive feelings out of a show from your childhood, I say there is absolutely no reason why you should give up watching it. I do, however, believe that you should add new stuff to your life as you grow up. But that isn't replacing the old stuff, that is merely broadening your horizons.

Though I do think some things are better left unsaid to certain people, such as liking a kids show excessively. Close friends, family, sure, tell them, but with acquaintences, it can look weird and throw them off. People close to you see it as just one aspect of you, but people who don't know you well could be quite put off. It's none of their business, anyway, as far as I'm concerned, especially if they wouldn't understand.

zns

Reaction score
My parents will tell you that I am obsessed with everything Henson realted, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I guess the reason why all of us here love Jim and his creations is because there is just some sort of quality about it all that makes it feel special. It's not like where people that are Star Trek or D.C. Comic fanatics get so hyped about those things (I hope that dosn't sound offensive to any of you guys and if it does, sorry :embarrassed:), but we all have our own interests. To me, what makes the Muppets different than anything else is the fact that those characters are so unique in their own individual way, that they're almost like real people whom we can relate to easily in one way or another. I think that's mainly the reason why we love them so much. Of course, I as well as many of you reading this, stay as open minded as possible to other things in life. Me personaly, God comes first.

Xerus

Reaction score
When I was around 10 and a teenager, I kept liking Sesame Street a secret from my schoolmates. But when I became an adult, I've had a couple of co-workers who liked Sesame Street too. Mainly because they enjoy it with their kids.

And Sesame Street Old School is a DVD series made for adults to enjoy their childhood memories. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I don't care what anyone thinks or says. It won't ever make me feel bad or stupid. I'm going to keep watching it till the day i die. So you can stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

StreetScenes

Reaction score
sesame street has plenty of messages everyone can relate to. if you watch the archive of american television interview of roscoe orman on youtube, he talks about getting letters from adults who were going through tough times and flipped on the tv and happened to find sesame street and it STILL made them feel better. many of the messages, like everyone makes mistakes, or that it's okay to feel blah sometimes, are ones everyone needs to hear, just they seldom hear them in adult-oriented material.

the more i watch sesame street, the more i see the lessons aimed at adults, too. for instance, the humans always model how to treat kids as the intelligent and creative people they are rather than talking down to them. plus, the adults viewers can relate to the cast, too. the Love in the Fix-It Shop episode is brilliant--where Maria and Luis are in love so both Big Bird and Bob get all excited about the prospect of them getting married, and Maria & Luis keep trying (unsuccessfully) to say they haven't decided to do anything of the sort! my marital status is about like maria in that episode, and i wish all my relatives would watch that and realize that while everyone means well, adults are just as bad as kids when it comes to pestering young couples... of course, bob is on the other end of it in the episode where gabi is born, when telly is worried they'll be too much excitement because it's only a matter of time before bob & linda have a baby, and gina is like what? you're going to have a baby? and bob & linda are like, woah, time out--no. no we're not.