Least likeable Sesame character?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Horatio has interchangable performers and personality (aside from Joey, Marty plays him as a sophisticated British elephant).
Hmm...didn't know Marty did that. I'll have to see if I can find those clips online.

As for the Murray Had a Little Lamb segments, I understand that it's great to have a Muppet show what happens in the real world and get in there and work with the kids. I just wonder if the same thing could be accomplished with say, Telly. Telly's a great character but not appreciated enough (and why the heck isn't there more Telly merchandise?)

I don't mind Joey's Papa Bear, though. With all the times Baby Bear is featured now, you'd think that Papa Bear could show up more often. Remember the art gallery visits they did a while back? Those were interesting to see.

Still...let Grover do "near and far".

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
Horatio Elephant was only played by Marty for Monster Clubhouse. Dave did him ONCE as Mr. On Top Of (from the Mr. Between segment). Horatio basically came out of "We spent a fortune on this puppet, let's get as much use out of it as possible."

As for the "Near and Far" bit... jeez... just cut the guessing game bit anyway... put a short segment in its place.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Was it Dave in the "Mr. Between" sketch? Thought it was Joey for that one. I'll have to look that clip up. Haven't seen it in a while.

I thought sure Dave played him in the Elephant Elevator Operator song. He sounded so...Beauregard-ish.

Not to de-rail the thread, but it made me wonder why Dave didn't play some characters on Sesame Street along with all the other "main guys". What few times he did (like in this sketch), he was brilliant. Goelz is just as talented as the rest of the Muppeteers. It just makes me wonder why he hasn't been lending his talents to the Street.:confused:

Convincing John

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
The one character that really annoyed me as a kid was Gladys the Cow because of her attitude, I mean she thought she was better than anyone else. I don't mind the newer muppets like Abby and Murray.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I liked Gladys, a very witty character, I just wasn't sure if she was a boy or a girl, lol. :embarrassed:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Was it Dave in the "Mr. Between" sketch? Thought it was Joey for that one. I'll have to look that clip up. Haven't seen it in a while.

I thought sure Dave played him in the Elephant Elevator Operator song. He sounded so...Beauregard-ish.

Not to de-rail the thread, but it made me wonder why Dave didn't play some characters on Sesame Street along with all the other "main guys". What few times he did (like in this sketch), he was brilliant. Goelz is just as talented as the rest of the Muppeteers. It just makes me wonder why he hasn't been lending his talents to the Street.:confused:

Convincing John
Dave Goelz was the elephant in the elevator song. David Rudman performed him in the Mr. Between bit.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Dave Goelz was the elephant in the elevator song. David Rudman performed him in the Mr. Between bit.
Ah, David Rudman! That's it. Now I remember that song.

As for Abby, she doesn't bother me all that much. It's kind of weird that her magic often backfires on the street (like Mumford's did), but in the Flying Fairy School segments, it's almost always Gonnigan or Blogg that mess things up. (Gonnigan does it by accident, Blogg through overconfidence).

One of the things that kind of bug me about newer characters is that some of them never really interact with those on the street. Take Murray, for instance. He's always off doing his own thing away from the street. So are the Flying Fairy School characters. (Will SW ever make Blogg and Gonnigan in puppet form? It wouldn't be that hard).

Back in the day, you saw Roosevelt all over the books and merchandise interacting with the gang, but on the actual show, he was seen almost exclusively in the classroom segments. Except for saying "R is for Roosevelt" in that alphabet bit, I don't think I've ever seen him on the actual street.

I realize that they can't get rid of the block format, but they could have Murray do what Herry did. Remember "Sesame Street Goes to Daycare"? Herry learned something from the kids and taught it to his friends back on the street. Murray could do the same thing and teach it to Grover or Cookie or whoever.

I think it was Frank Oz that said "These character's cannot live in a vaccuum. They interact with each other." Maybe that's part of why certain characters are disliked, old ones and new ones. These disliked characters aren't being explored to their full potential because the writers are used to them doing one thing well, then they stick to it without exploring other situations for those characters.

Convincing John

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Horatio Elephant was only played by Marty for Monster Clubhouse.
There were a few moments outside Monster Clubhouse where Marty played Horatio.

One of them that sticks out was Elmo's World of Wild Animals (mainly because I remember his truck was raised a little too high, and you could see a black gloved hand raising the rod).

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I was never a big fan of Zoe, though I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it was I just liked other characters better. I haven't seen enough of the newer episodes to form an opinion about the newer characters. I remember a pair of Monkeys that used to drive me crazy.
I don't have anything against Elmo, I really like him. It's more Elmo's World that I get tired of after a while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zoe's a strange one. I remember when the character premired, she was... well.. very odd. She said a LOT of things that were out of left field and she seemed... well... looney. I distinctly remember a skit where Big Bird said something about "Today's shows is brought to you by the letters M and G, Zoe!" (or something like that), and for the next several skits, she was laughing about how it sounded like he said "Lemon cheese Zoe!" That... seemed... odd.

But over the years, the character changed slightly, and she stopped seeming nuts, and seemed like one of those overly imaginative kids. But I'll give Zoe this... she's a great character because she's the only one who can get Elmo to emote... especially with Rocko driving him up the wall.