1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Least likeable Sesame character?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Bob1995, May 4, 2009.

1. Sesamo2012

Sesamo2012 New Member

it seemed like the least person that i did not like was Ruth, although she came to sesame street after David had passed away she tired to run the hoopers store for a while but she was not that entertaining, but she was good in singing, but she was rather okay in my opion.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

My only quibble with Curly Bear, as I've mentioned before is... how is it that with the last several years or so, she's been walking, and speaking (though still on a childlike level), meanwhile Natasha is STILL crawling and speaking only in gibberish?
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd question that logic if Big Bird wasn't a 42 year old 6 year old. :smirk:
  4. D'Snowth

BILL COSBY: How is it that after twenty years, you're still only six-years-old?
    BIG BIRD: Just lucky, I guess.

HARRY SMITH: So he went from four-and-a-half to six in thirty-two years?
    CAROLL SPINNEY: Right, because in actuality, he'd probably be putting in for retirement, I think.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oops... left out the part where Gabbi and Miles grew up to adults around him...

Anyway, I have to speak up about Mr. Guessing game or whatever his name is. It wasn't so bad at first, but he came back for at least 3 seasons and basically started up the same exact episodes over and over. I have a problem with all these guessing game based episodes (this year especially... did we NEED that many?), but those ones tried way too hard to keep to the same format.... I mean, the mouse ringing the bell, playing a piano, what's the third one? They used the same jokes, and the character really has no personality other than game show host. And not even a funny one. Guy Smiley and Sonny Friendly always managed to bring some wacky weirdness wherever they went. Shame Guessing Game had to be so straightforward.

Sigh... all those times Sonny popped up, gave horrible prizes, and annoyed the heck out of everyone.... priceless. Mr. Guesswhat (HEY! I think THAT'S his name) just brought along formula episodes.
  6. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

The least Sesame character might be...

Kermit the Frog: We interrupt this special thread for a special announcement! We here at MC - The Revival would like for you to join our special revival of this awesome forum! Join now and get a hug from Sweetums!

Sweetums: Nothin' like a hug from ol' Sweetums!

Kermit the Frog: We're gonna try and make this place the way it was when it was started! We're gonna make everyone feel like family! So come on down and join the Revival!

Sam the Eagle: It is the American way!

Lew Zealand: We have muffins! He-he-he!
  7. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

:confused:: Oh, well done indeed, beakerboy12.
    Oh wait- you're not Beakie?
    :eek:: Meep! Meep!
    :confused:: Yes, Beaker- it seems you have a fan.
    Let's go check out this Muppet Revival thread to be on hand for all the autograph hounds.
  8. D'Snowth

Overkill.

Okay, you know what, we've been discussing least favorite SST characters, but we've mostly relegated the discussion towards the Muppets... what about least favorite of the human cast?

That might be a bit more difficult, but it seems like even the human cast has had some hits and misses throughout the years (especially during the 90s and the ATC era).

Even though I haven't seen much of him, I didn't particularly care for Mr. Hooper's Season Three assistant Tom... I don't know, he didn't seem like he enjoyed being on the show or something, he kind of emitted a negative vibe, I think.

I don't think Mr. Handford had much of an impact on me as a kid either; I don't remember missing him, or wondering what happened to him when Alan took over.

Speaking of which, I SWEAR I saw Alan in a commercial recently, I just can't remember what the commercial was for... I just recall seeing him sitting at a desk, on a phone, with glasses on, and how he was starting to look salt-and-pepper on top.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I only saw him once on the Old School DVD. I liked him alright; I mean it's New York, there's supposed to be grumpy people, lol.
  10. D'Snowth

That's what we got Oscar for, lol.
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Well that's why Tom didn't work out; he should have been paired with Oscar! :grouchy:
  12. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I never cared for Mr. Handford as a kid, either- he always seemed to be in a bad mood.
  13. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I have to admit, I've never seen a Sesame Street episode with Mr. Handford until I saw videos on YouTube. I also got the impression that he seemed cranky, quite a contrast to David or even Mr. Hooper.

I like Alan, he seems pretty cool. Why was it that it took so long for the shows creators to add Asian-Americans to the cast (I don't remember any adult Asian-American characters on the show when I was still watching). I think Celina might have been the first one added.
  14. D'Snowth

Well, there were actually two Mr. Handfords: the first portrayed by Leonard Jackson for his debut season, then David Langston Smyrl played him until 1998. Jackson's Mr. Handford was, indeed, generally depicted as kind of a cranky, grumpy old man, but then again, the character was supposedly a retired firefighter, and you know rescue workers have to be tough around the edges, and not let anything phase them. David L. Smyrl's Handford was a bit more mellow. Perhaps Mr. Handford was meant to be someone who is not exactly a "people person" (like the way we first got to know Shrek).

As for Asian-American characters, no, Celina was not the first, though she WAS before Alan. During the late 80s and early 90s, Lord Of The Nerds himself, Gette Watanabe was Hiroshi, the Japanese-American artist who could be see with his palette and easle just about anywhere on the street... even Oscar's can. But it is nice that they finally found a steady, regular Asian-American, and I've liked Alan very much since he came to the street over a decade ago.
  15. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I did know about the two Mr. Handfords (just like the three Gordons).

I totally forgot about Hiroshi, he appeared when I was still watching and I remember the scene where Oscar's can was considered art by him. It's on YouTube.

Sorry to get off topic.
  16. D'Snowth

In order to identify them, the first Mr. Handford (Leonard Jackson) has darker hair, and glasses; the second (David L. Smyrl) has graying hair, and it thinner.

I think perhaps another reason why Mr. Handford, as a character in general, didn't quite work out was because he was essentially a grandfatherly figure, much like Mr. Hooper was, so it's like they were looking for someone a little too similar to the predecesor; the 40 Years book mentions that when came time to replace him, a lot of older, grandfatherly actors auditioned for the role of new Hooper's owner, but they decided to go in a different direction with someone younger, which is a wiser move.

I know SST was for depicting women in the workplace (even during times when it was frowned upon), I wonder if had we not had Mr. Handford, or even Alan, if they ever considered a woman to run Hooper's? David was Mr. Hooper's assistant, then when he was left the store, Gina became his assistant... with him gone, she probably could've taken over. *Shrug*
  17. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I thought the reason that Gina didn't run Hooper's herself was because she was running the daycare (after Lillian left), then studied to be a vet after that.

Probably my least favorite of the human cast would be the short-lived character of Mike in 1990-1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vhmy2bVvYg

He was a carnival guy in this clip, but his character was pretty one-dimensional. All he did was talk about how hungry he was.:smirk: Really...we already had someone to fill that role who did it 10 times better.:insatiable: Sorry, Mike.

I agree that Alan works well on the show. What I have seen of Chris, he does, too. I've seen that "Alan commercial" too, Snowth. Like a dummy, I forgot what it was for, but I know I've seen him in some commercial like that. It was in some office setting, right? Cubicles, paperwork, that type of stuff.

Convincing John
  18. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I see what you mean about Mike. The 1990's seemed to be a hit or miss with new characters.

Remember the 'Around the Corner' era? They brought in Ruthie, Celina, and the couple with the little girl - Angela, Jamal, and Kayla. A few years later, the era ended because of too much confusion with viewers.

Savion, Lillian, and Carlo were there for a few years as well. I've only seen clips of these characters on YouTube.

I think the additions of Alan, Chris, and Leela have been positive for the most part.
  19. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

OMG!:eek: Where in the world are the SS writers' minds when they're writing these things? And yes it can be construed as something dirty! :o
    SS writers..IF you're reading this (probably not likely,but just in case) bring yourself down to a 3 year old's level.OK..."Furry triangle feels good." sounds well & innocent to you. Now bring yourselves back up to your adult ages about a day later and read it again: "Furry triangle feels good." You'll probably think "Oh my goodness"(or you'll think some profanity) "What was I thinking?" These kids will be watching Sesame Street with an adult most probably. Or the adult will be in the next room. If the adult is in the next room you can bet that that TV will get switched to some other channel no thanks to that "Furry Triangle" bit. (My almost 4 year old niece doesn't watch SS anymore. No idea why. But I think my 18 month old nephew might. Not sure.) Either way I'm concerned for them.
  20. D'Snowth

That was actually well after David left and Mr. Handford took over.

Actually, I have that episode on tape, it's from 1995: Gina takes over the daycare, while Carlo assumes Gina's old role as Mr. Handford's assistant, meanwhile, Big Bird rollerskates inbetween both locales to help them both with their new jobs.

It was after the ATC era that Gina began to study zoology to be a vet.