My autistic son.

Scott S

Reaction score
He absolutely has found a love for the muppets. We have watched the muppet movie at least a dozen times in the past 3 months. He has also rented from on line (Not sure if you can say Netflix on here) the Muppet show. He is completely excited to get the mail when he knows a new episode is coming. Then we talk about who is going to be on each show. BTW for those of you still reading he is 15 and he has it pretty good. Actually he is very similar to the Rain Man. Instead of doing "who is on first" he will do things, like from the Muppet movie now.

Anyone else on here have an autisic kid, or even any "special" kids?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
That's really wonderful that your son enjoys the muppets so much! :smile: Don't have any kids yet, but I have a nine year old cousin with Downs Syndrome. I think she's one of the biggest tomboys I've ever met, and she's really just a total crack-up. She's always so animated. She can be quite a handful at times, but she's learning...

I've also worked with and babysat my friend's autistic son quite a bit in the past. He doesn't speak, which can make things a little more challenging, but he's a sweetheart once he gets comfortable around you.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm autistic. But my parents said I have a mild case of autism. Despite all that, I was still able to graduate from high school. They say it's an accomplishment.

Scott S

Reaction score
Beakerfan, you are an angel! Unless you are a dude in which case.... well you are still an angel. :big_grin: Your screenname reminds me that Daniel love my Beaker impersonation. He has not really seen Beaker yet, just a little bit in the Movie. We are watching the Muppet show, in order of course :cool: but Beaker has not show up yet.

X, WOW! Very rare that you were diagnosed that that age (We are close in age BTW). Daniel has it pretty good. So what are you doing now for work? I don't want to ask any questions and insult you, but would obviously like to hear more about you. I know I certainly have some autisitc tendancies. I HATE looking anyone in the eye for one thing.

Scott

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A little while ago I read about a book called Breaking Autism's Barriers by Bill Davis. He described how his young autistic son had an astonishing ability that coincided with the Muppets in an amazing way:

"Chris also liked to spell corporate logos before he was even three years old...Some of his other logos were spelled with the words lined up exactly as he saw them, but without letter spaces:

CTW
SESAMESTREET

By age four, Chris was spelling from memory all the titles of video movies he'd watched: FOZZIE'SMUPPETSCRAPBOOK, GONZOPRESENTSMUPPETWEIRDSTUFF, CHILDRENSSONGSANDSTORIES, ROWLFRAPSODIES, COUNTRYMUSIC, ROCKMUSIC, MUPPETTREASURES, TELETUBBIES, WISHBONE, BARNEY...

This child could remember any words he saw! He once spelled the words 'Richard Hunt.' 'Who's Richard Hunt?', I asked. Jae didn't know either. Well, we were watching a Muppet Movie later and happened to notice that the twentieth character printed on the credits was Richard Hunt. For some reason that caught his eye and he remembered it! I found myself looking at him in amazement. His ability to spell and remember words was incredible."

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Beakerfan, you are an angel! Unless you are a dude in which case.... well you are still an angel. :big_grin: Your screenname reminds me that Daniel love my Beaker impersonation. He has not really seen Beaker yet, just a little bit in the Movie. We are watching the Muppet show, in order of course :cool: but Beaker has not show up yet.

Scott
Haha, well thank you! (and yes, I'm a girl XD ) Your son sounds like a fun kid. (maybe he isn't alway fun, but then, what kid is, right? ) Its really great to find something you know will always make him happy :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I have CP, a learning disability and dyslexia. I've had everything since I was born :smile:. Um, I actually like the word disabled over 'special' or ' differently enabled'. I'm not a mutant, CP doesn't give me the power to fly *lol* :wink:.

Scott S

Reaction score
Hearlde, Thanks for the info, pretty cool. Great the kid likes the muppets also.

Beaker, are you sure you are only 19? You sound wise beyond your years. Have you thought about going into teaching or dealing with Special Ed kids? You seem like you would be good at it, you have an understanding of kids.

Red, WOW, as someone once said to me, God certainly gave you a full plate. I hear you about the "sepcial" part. I used to struggle to say if Daniel "is autistic" or that he "has autism" I just say that he is autistic because it is easier to say and I am lazy. :smile: I hope you are doing well now. I hope you don't mine me saying that I am intriqued by you and will look for you on this forum.

You know I never did tell you all about Daniel. He only eats about 6 foods on this planet, lives by the clock, does not speak all that well, you have to lean how to "speak Daniel" as I say to really understand him. He is also pure goodness, is literally incapable of telling a lie, has such a kind heart, and is such a complete joy in this world. We love to talk to his teachers, they all think is the cutest thing on this earth. Hey I have to agree with them. :wisdom:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Beaker, are you sure you are only 19? You sound wise beyond your years. Have you thought about going into teaching or dealing with Special Ed kids? You seem like you would be good at it, you have an understanding of kids.

Oh goodness... a timeless question that is: To work with Special Ed or to not work with Special Ed? I have been asking myself that for the last seven or eight years... I have gone back and forth on the subject for so long I should probably just give in and go for it. I really love working with disabled children.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Red, WOW, as someone once said to me, God certainly gave you a full plate. I hear you about the "sepcial" part. I used to struggle to say if Daniel "is autistic" or that he "has autism" I just say that he is autistic because it is easier to say and I am lazy. I hope you are doing well now. I hope you don't mine me saying that I am intriqued by you and will look for you on this forum.
It's just me :3.
I think 'is' would be better, because 'has' treats it more like an illness than just a part of who he is...
Well... I'm pretty much doing how I have always been doing. It never goes away, and somedays are worst, but it is just how it has always been:smile:. I really like life, and I could have just as well died when I was a baby or had worst than mild to medium need braces sometimes tight CP, so I really just like being:excited:.
I sometimes wonder why people with perfectly okay bodies ruin them, but then, they don't know what a gift they have to be able to do things like jump:3