Kanye West: Proud non-reader.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Ok I don't want to sound like one of those guys who hangs on celebrity words, cause I'm not one of those guys. But this does bug me a lot. Rapper Kanye West has written a book that's only 52 pages. He went on to make these comments...

"I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph.

He would never want a book's autograph, :confused:.

“I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life."

Ok I guess that can work for a rapper, but what about his doctor? How did he get his degree? From reading books, :smirk:.

It just brothers me that this man can make these comments. I'm not a fan of his and never really have been. But there are young children buying this man's albums and he's sending the message that reading books gets you no where. I mean it's just so irresponsible of him. It's hard enough to get children reading and for someone many of whom look up to as a role model to make such a statement, it just brothers me so much, :mad:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
He's done a lot of distasteful things. He acts like the world owes him a debt of gratitude. I lost all respect for him when he posed as Jesus on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine and still profess to be a follower. It's just gross to me. There's nothing I've ever liked of his, but he claims to be The Voice of the Generation. Um...I don't think so.

Sometimes I don't get where these "superstars" come from. People like Mariah Carey, Eminem and Hootie and the Blowfish have all topped the charts in their day and entertainment outlets operate under the assumption that they are adored by all, when few people I know have ever owned a single album from any one of these people.

Young people need to find people in their daily lives to admire. And read! That's one of the many things I regret is not reading nearly enough as a young person. There are many books out there (not on any required reading list) that I would have enjoyed back then. At least kids have JK Rowling. Sure, Potter is over-exposed and some conservative groups have issues with the subject matter, but at heart her books are about the importance of choosing the right path in life. They are also dense with detail and rich visuals that inspire readers to seek out other books too.

As for Kanye West. His stuff is lost in the abyss of other similar-sounding garbage. His statement just irritates me. I’m glad South Park made fun of him. Too bad he didn’t learn his lesson.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Oh, brother.

And is he saying that people who read books are out of touch with reality? In my opinion, those who read books lead richer, fuller lives - and good books bring people together.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Wow... I feel sorta ashamed now for liking one of his songs. (It's Heartless, but I mainly like it for the video)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel this is getting discriminatory against people like me who actually HATE to read because of how reading and appreciating literature is taught in schools. I wouldn't say he's correct in saying this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a point/motive about this. The problem is that in school we have to read books as a class, and pick out obtuse symbolism... follow minor characters and memorize their every single scenes to the letter. And most of the stuff you read... REALLY...

That's why so many people hate to read. It doesn't get pleasurable in schools. And have you ever tried reading a play? Can't be done. They don't give you the tones, the emotions, the small gestures. To fully appreciate Shakespeare, you don't read his words... you see them performed by trained actors who live and breath these characters. You don't appreciate modern literature by picking up a book that doesn't speak to you... and everybody who reads in reality for their own pleasure doesn't have deadlines to read them by... and if you think a book sucks, you can just put it down.

That said, I like to read things I pick out myself from word of mouth, or stuff that follows my interests. I finally got a copy of the Hitchhiker's guide, and I couldn't put it down until I was too tired to read (when my eyes got unfocused and about to close). The only way we can be taught to enjoy reading is to read what WE want for ourselves... not to take tests on borring books and to have to remember unimportant scenes and the symbolism of a coffee cup that was mentioned in passing.

On the subject of Voice of a Generation... I thought the voice of this generation was X-Box and Seth MacFarline :big_grin:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Although I agree with what Dr. Tooth said about how students have to read a lot of books in school about things they might not want to read about, I will say Romeo and Juliet is a classic I enjoyed when I read it in 9th grade.

Also To Kill A Mocking Bird is also one of the best books I've read too. I think I read that in 9th grade also.

But I think West is nothing more than an idiot. I believe he said he wanted his music to be remembered like the Beatles music. Not going happened!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I used to dislike reading. It wasn't until recently I've actually begun to thirst for knowledge that I've discovered can only be quenched by reading. However, I've always understood that, like most things in life, it's not for everyone.

Having said that, Kanye West is a shallow and arrogant artist who's music is sub-par at best. The fact that he somehow finds himself above the oldest form of knowledge and entertainment only further proves just how clueless he is.

Also, I think what I find most interesting here is Dr. Tooth's post. It's curious that someone who doesn't like to read so much has the longest post as well as usually the best post, or at least most well thought out post. I will always read one of his posts among the vast oceans of threads here on MC because his words are always so well thought out, readable, and interesting. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I think what I find most interesting here is Dr. Tooth's post. It's curious that someone who doesn't like to read so much has the longest post as well as usually the best post, or at least most well thought out post. I will always read one of his posts among the vast oceans of threads here on MC because his words are always so well thought out, readable, and interesting. :wink:
Writing I like. And giving out opinions. Problem with reading is that when your as big a fan of comics as I am, you don't just read, you look at the artwork and admire it. It's 2 different styles of media put together... more to appreciate. Sure, you lose the imagination of characters and scenes, but I just love seeing other's artwork.

Plus I tend to ramble...