Kanye West: Proud non-reader.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Wow I'm really behind on this thread, I honestly didn't think anyone posted a reply, I was actually starting to think a lot of people here on MC are Kayne West fans, :smile:, I'm so glad to see I'm wrong. I'm sure their might be some, but you know what I mean.
As for Kanye West. His stuff is lost in the abyss of other similar-sounding garbage. His statement just irritates me. I’m glad South Park made fun of him. Too bad he didn’t learn his lesson.

Dude it's not just he's statement here about reading, that dude is no freaking full of himself, it's just goofy, :sympathy:. I heard someone that he honestly believes if the bible were written today, he would be a character in it. In his mind he's on the same level as moses. Now he's pretty much telling kids, it's not cool to read. I'm glad South Park made fun of him as well, but I honestly can image that if Mr. West did see that episode, he probably said something along the lines of "How dare they make fun of Kayne West, don't they know who I am?" Basically he would look just like they made him look in that episode of South Park.

I feel this is getting discriminatory against people like me who actually HATE to read because of how reading and appreciating literature is taught in schools. I wouldn't say he's correct in saying this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a point/motive about this. The problem is that in school we have to read books as a class, and pick out obtuse symbolism... follow minor characters and memorize their every single scenes to the letter. And most of the stuff you read... REALLY...

That's why so many people hate to read. It doesn't get pleasurable in schools. And have you ever tried reading a play? Can't be done. They don't give you the tones, the emotions, the small gestures. To fully appreciate Shakespeare, you don't read his words... you see them performed by trained actors who live and breath these characters. You don't appreciate modern literature by picking up a book that doesn't speak to you... and everybody who reads in reality for their own pleasure doesn't have deadlines to read them by... and if you think a book sucks, you can just put it down.
I have to agree with you on that DrTooth. They was the case with me not to long ago as I had to read "The Haunted Mesa" for a book report and I couldn't for the life of me get into it. With thoughts like that, you would of my vote for something like president of school board, :smile:, should you ever run someday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to agree with you on that DrTooth. They was the case with me not to long ago as I had to read "The Haunted Mesa" for a book report and I couldn't for the life of me get into it. With thoughts like that, you would of my vote for something like president of school board, :smile:, should you ever run someday.
The way they teach reading in school... and again, it ain't just in elementary school, is ridiculous. I liked book reports when you could read your own book at your own pace... that way you can read stuff you actually like. As opposed to a predetermined curricular type deal. Even with the good books, they manage to pull all the fun out of it.

I must add, I finally got a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (unfortunately, not the collected omnibus with all the books) and I got through it in a week and LOVED it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The way they teach reading in school... and again, it ain't just in elementary school, is ridiculous. I liked book reports when you could read your own book at your own pace... that way you can read stuff you actually like. As opposed to a predetermined curricular type deal. Even with the good books, they manage to pull all the fun out of it.

I must add, I finally got a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (unfortunately, not the collected omnibus with all the books) and I got through it in a week and LOVED it.
Reading, just like many other things that are good for us, is usually enforced on us rather than introduced to us when we are young. So, many kids think of reading like broccoli. There comes a time in adult life when we mature. We look past our youthful rebellions and presumptions and go revisit some of these items. Every person lives in a state of arrested development as pertains to something. Many adults can't draw better than a child because they stopped drawing regularly in childhood. The same holds true for many other things.

However, reading is a fundamental form of understanding the ideas of others. Kanye is very keen on teachin' and preachin' but not listenin' or readin' and that just reinforces his obvious narcissism. By cutting reading out of his world he cuts out a valuable line of communication, of growth. Sure, there are eggheads that read a lot and never communicate with actual people. That's a waste too.

How can one converse intelligently with another without being a reader? How can one read and not share the experience with others?

Wading through hard reads like War & Peace or something on Oprah's Book Club isn't required to be a reader. However, since the invention of the printing press, there's bound to be something...a lot of things...to suit anyone's taste. Kanye just does what he always does. He jumps to a ludicrous conclusion and spends the rest of the time mugging for the camera trying to back up his misinformation.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If we're talking about schools, it all depends on what teacher you get. There are plenty of good teachers that even now can make books come alive for students.

And anyway, whether you read or not should not depend solely on school. Plenty of people who never get the chance to go to school or college are eager to read as much as possible because they recognize what a loss it would be not too. Too bad Mr. West does not see that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Reading, just like many other things that are good for us, is usually enforced on us rather than introduced to us when we are young. So, many kids think of reading like broccoli. There comes a time in adult life when we mature. We look past our youthful rebellions and presumptions and go revisit some of these items. Every person lives in a state of arrested development as pertains to something. Many adults can't draw better than a child because they stopped drawing regularly in childhood. The same holds true for many other things.
Wanna hear the ultimate irony here? When I was little I LOVED to read... I really did. I started earlier than anyone I know, and among other things, the books I learned to read first featured a certain Street and frogs and pigs... I think you can get a lot out of reading... problem is, when you have to dissect things and take quizzes on them... it pulls out the enjoyable reading at your own pace, being able to stop if a book is bad (imagine having to watch a movie that's terrible the whole way through. no wonder why critics are grumpy). And for every 1984/Animal Farm/ Bridge to Terebithia... ie good, enjoyable books you have to read a bunch of Snow falling on Ceders (boring) or some contemporary thing that doesn't speak to you. I really think the best way to teach kids to read is to have them go at their own pace, read what they like, and suggest other reads to them. Not to make them memorize some tertiary character's unimportant tangents for a grade.

That said, Shakespeare can NOT be experienced by reading his plays... you have to see them performed, preferably by professionals.

As for Kanye... ah, whatever.... he's just one of those celebrities that thinks he's God's gift to everything... just saying random crap to keep being "controversial." Ever since John Lennon (or was it Paul? I'm a Beatles fan... I should know this) said that they were bigger than Jesus, musicians were looking for stupid ways to make controversy (mostly fake).... remember when Sinead O'Conner ripped up that photo of the Pope? Shame... his earlier music was actually quite good... and I'm not even into that sorta thing. I gotta see that South Park, though...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That said, Shakespeare can NOT be experienced by reading his plays... you have to see them performed, preferably by professionals.
I can't entirely agree. I mean yes, a play is most effectively made to be seen and heard on the stage. But I've read a lot of plays and have been able to enjoy them. If it's a story that peaks your interest, you're able to imagine and fill in the blanks of what would be there.

That's why J.D. Salinger made it clear Catcher in the Rye must never be made into a movie. He wanted readers to imagine Holden Caufield for themselves and not be told what he looks like by a movie. Movies and TV shows are great but to a certain extent they do the work for you. There's less of a requirement for imagination. Books on the other hand, you NEED to use your imagination.

And I'm saying this as someone who always had to be forced to read. I was always more of a TV person. But once I did find a book or play I liked, I read it over and over for the rest of my life, lol. I suppose in some cases I use my memories of watching plays, shows or even real life as a reference when reading books. But it helps, then I'm not ashamed. :wink:

Ever since John Lennon (or was it Paul? I'm a Beatles fan... I should know this) said that they were bigger than Jesus, musicians were looking for stupid ways to make controversy (mostly fake).... remember when Sinead O'Conner ripped up that photo of the Pope? Shame... his earlier music was actually quite good... and I'm not even into that sorta thing. I gotta see that South Park, though...
It was John, he was just trying to say the Beatles had become more popular than Jesus. He was making a comment on society's values. He didn't express himself very well though and it came out as "bigger."

Well I think Pope John Paul was a good pope, but I do understand O'Conner's concerns with some aspects of the Church (and yes I am a devout Catholic).

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I'm saying this as someone who always had to be forced to read. I was always more of a TV person. But once I did find a book or play I liked, I read it over and over for the rest of my life, lol. I suppose in some cases I use my memories of watching plays, shows or even real life as a reference when reading books. But it helps, then I'm not ashamed. :wink:
Anyone ever see that episode of Arthur where Buster never finished a book the whole way through, and he kept getting younger and younger books until they finally made him read :The Sky is Blue?" And he can't even finish that, because he started reading Robin Hood and couldn't put it down? Same thing with me. I remember once I got this Leslie Nelsen autobiography and I just couldn't stop reading it. It was just the funniest thing I ever read at the time (Hitchhikers being a distant first now). I think my problem is I really love funny books, and you never really get to read many of those. Oh, and behind the scenes of stuff like Monty Python or the Muppet show...

That said, I like to look at illustraitions in books as well... it's my artist's eye... I can imagine things, but I like to appreciate the work an artist makes as well as an author.

It was John, he was just trying to say the Beatles had become more popular than Jesus. He was making a comment on society's values. He didn't express himself very well though and it came out as "bigger."

Well I think Pope John Paul was a good pope, but I do understand O'Conner's concerns with some aspects of the Church (and yes I am a devout Catholic).

And let's not forget Madonna.... not that I'm mentioning anything. There are musicians who are excellent, amazing artists that make wonderful music that everyone will remember them by... some that fall into controversy and have that haunt them. Then there are untalented types that write off music and leap head first into fake conspiracies so they'd be remembered for that over music that isn't that good... seems Kanye wants to be the latter.... Maybe he should get into punk rock... now that's an effective way to shock people... :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My parents were perplexed that I had absolutely no interest in reading as a child. If they read books to me I was entranced but I had trouble getting up the motivation to do it myself. Books seemed too quiet, I always "needed" to have the TV on.

We would go to the library and get books on cute little penguins having cute little adventures and I just couldn't get into them, lol. But one of the first books I willingly borrowed myself was...the making of Star Wars! I was absolutely fascinated by all the little anecdotes and tidbits of movie making.

Looking back, I probably should have been introduced to more nonfiction as a child. The general assumption is that kids will enjoy cute little penguin stories more, and perhaps that's true, but there are always kids who break the mold. :wink:

So yeah, with books, you often have to find a topic the child is already interested in.

And let's not forget Madonna....
Madonna to me was pure shock value, and not particularly shocking any more, hehe. :wink:

Kiki

Reaction score
I'm a catholic too. Although I'm not alarmingly religous because of the way I was brought up (I'm spiritual, though and I have faith. And I'd like to say that I have an understanding of what is morally right), but I reckon there are quite a lot of things I dislike about the church. Not going to go into details, just some of our current Pope's decisions. I wouldn't rip up a picture of him though, he doesn't really bother me. :wink:
Madonna to me was pure shock value, and not particularly shocking any more, hehe. :wink:
I agree. I'm not a hge fan of her music, to be honest either. She was pure shock value though, heehee, good way of putting it. :wink:

As for me, I used to read all the time as a kid. Mostly picture books and old Disney Adventures. ^_^ I think it's a shame that Kayne West says that aobut reading, because although I'm not a fan ("Voice of a generation"...? As if...), I know a lot of kids admire him (yes... I know... of all people...) and reading helps a lot. I gotta admit, I haven't been reading tons lately, which is a shame. I buy a lot of magazines (not those illiterate, unrealistic teen-oriented ones, usually music ones, because that's an interest of mine) all the time, but I gotta admit, I haven't read an actual novel fer yonks, other than school ones. Hmm, I really should get one. But I think reading helps a lot, I know it's helped me tons with my writing, which is a hobby of mine.

Nick22

Reaction score
i never liked him. and saying that you hate reading when so many young children follow in your footsteps is definitely not a good thing. i think schools push you too read a little too much. we have to read so much for school, and i hate it.