Any big Murray fans?

beaker

Reaction score
I have to say, Murray Monster to me has to be the coolest Sesame Street character I've seen since I first saw Telly back in the 80's.
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Murray_Monster

I absolutely love this guy, none of the least is the fact he's an Egyptian muppet fused with the voice and personality of Joe the Armadillo. Joey Mazzarino has done such an amazing job with him,
and I would have to say Murray is one of the best new Muppet characters period since Pepe was introduced.

I LOVE the "word of the day", "Murray had a little lamb"(him and ovejita are so cute!) and Sesame Podcast episodes.

One reason, is I've ALWAYS loved seeing Muppet puppets out in the real world, away from sets and interacting with people just being themselves on the street. I love Uncle Matt from Fraggle Rock, or the similar skits seen on the From The Balcony webisode series.

I know Abby Cadabby, and more over the ever ubiquitous Elmo get all the marketing attention...but I'd LOVE to some day see a plush or *something* of this guy

Any other huge Murray Monster fans?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I know i just can't get enough of him and hope he gets more storylines other then just his Murray Has A Little Lamb and his Word of the day. I've always loved any of the Sesame Street Monsters all the way till Zoe.

Rosita was the first one who at the first was spoused to be a Bat Monster of some kind and then they changed her and i would love to see her wings come back but i still enjoy her as much as the other Monster characters.

I too would love to have a plush of Murray and Ovejita. But anyone who loves any of the Monsters should like Murray.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yes! murray rocks. he's single-handedly bringing back everything that the most recent sesame street has been starting to leave out: a prominent character who is older than 3, muppet/human interaction, slapstick & improv comedy, and the less polished more real feel that goes along with all of that. and it works and it's fresh and new. not to mention he's really funny, and his personality/look/voice are quite lovable. i hope murray gets integrated into the street scenes so his character continues to grow--i really can't wait to see what joey (and murray) does next!

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Yes YES YES!
I Love Murray. I swear, since they started WTWOTS he has become one of my favourite Muppets. I too also really like Abby, but Murray is a definate favourite of mine. The sort of humour employed with Murray and the outdoor setting I find works in glorious harmony. I think the defining aspect of the character, is the personality. Murray has this big, happy, look-at-me sort of appeal to him, yet Joey does such a great job writing for and performing him. I remember the first time I saw Murray I instantly thought that it could only be Mazzarino, and boy do I love him.

Murray is probably my favourite new character of late, and the demeanour of the character is only all good. :wisdom:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I like Murray also, and it's great that Joey finally has a strong, stable, prominent character to play, but I feel they shoved him into the spotlight to quickly. I mean, he started hosting the cold openings, but now he has his own 6-minute segment in every episode. I think they're rushing him in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One reason, is I've ALWAYS loved seeing Muppet puppets out in the real world, away from sets and interacting with people just being themselves on the street. I love Uncle Matt from Fraggle Rock, or the similar skits seen on the From The Balcony webisode series.
The idea in and of itself of putting Muppet characters out there in the real world interacting with real people was always a thrill. I think Murray had a Little Lamb was one of the best things that happened to SS in some time. Too bad they only made half as many segments as there are episodes. Even Joey referred to him as a Traveling Matt like character.

But as fior the character itself, he's one of my favorite new characters, and I adore his character design. Not like anything we've seen on SS before, and it reminds me of the late 70's into the 80's when they had all these different oddly designed stock monsters you only see every so often. A lot of monsters look like Herry, Elmo, or Telly... but I ain't never seen something that looked like Murray since the Egyptian series premiered. I think he's one of my favorite Sesame Street puppet designs. I really hope to see a PVC or plush toy in the future...

beaker

Reaction score
yes! murray rocks. he's single-handedly bringing back everything that the most recent sesame street has been starting to leave out: a prominent character who is older than 3, muppet/human interaction, slapstick & improv comedy, and the less polished more real feel that goes along with all of that. and it works and it's fresh and new. not to mention he's really funny, and his personality/look/voice are quite lovable. i hope murray gets integrated into the street scenes so his character continues to grow--i really can't wait to see what joey (and murray) does next!
You just articulated much better than I could all the top reasons I love Murray Monster. Someone should start a fansite, or letter writing to Sesame Workshop to demand more Murray!

I know Elmo is their never ending cashcow, but Im telling you guys...Murray Monster has the shutzpuh! The moxy! The pizaz I tells ya!

beaker

Reaction score
The idea in and of itself of putting Muppet characters out there in the real world interacting with real people was always a thrill. I think Murray had a Little Lamb was one of the best things that happened to SS in some time. Too bad they only made half as many segments as there are episodes. Even Joey referred to him as a Traveling Matt like character.

But as fior the character itself, he's one of my favorite new characters, and I adore his character design. Not like anything we've seen on SS before, and it reminds me of the late 70's into the 80's when they had all these different oddly designed stock monsters you only see every so often. A lot of monsters look like Herry, Elmo, or Telly... but I ain't never seen something that looked like Murray since the Egyptian series premiered. I think he's one of my favorite Sesame Street puppet designs. I really hope to see a PVC or plush toy in the future...
Murray merchandise would be amazing. Sadly I dont know if SW has any actual plans with him.

Though maybe he will be like Pepe...a breakaway star, who unlike Elmo, naturally and organically rises up on his own and from fans.

I think the writers must *know* how much better the Murray segments are than Elmo's World or a lot of the other stuff. I'd love to see a new kind of revitalization "on the street"...nothing too radical, but something new.

One thing I miss, is the Sesame gang going on adventures to the outside world.

Like the movie Dont Eat The Pictures, Follow That Bird, etc

And yeah, youre right. A lot of the monsters for awhile had the standard 1970's/80's set template look for awhile(tho I will always be a huge Telly and Honker fan)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and style of a lot of the international Sesame Street characters and its great to see them make a new Sesame Street USA character in that style(Just wish more Americans could see clips of the foreign shows)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Though maybe he will be like Pepe...a breakaway star, who unlike Elmo, naturally and organically rises up on his own and from fans.
I would have to disagree with you, There have been characters that have been pushed and forced out there, Zoe being one of them, but Fran saved that character from ending up into obscurity. But I think even Fran mentioned that Elmo was one of those characters who's popularity naturally grew with the audience of the over time. And I can't even blame the success of the first doll. It was the riding It and running with that success that made Elmo to come off as quite annoying. It was actually post toy, and even them it was a slow creep up.

Anyway, Murray has very quickly grown on my as a character and I agree that StreetScenes is spot on about him being so muhc of what his be mis or a lack there of on the show for many years.

Nick22

Reaction score
i havent seen too much of murray. i dont love him but i dont hate him. i saw him in one episode, and i seemed a little annoying. but i think he is pretty awesome. i'd rather see A LOT more of him than of elmo. i love elmo, but he seems to be the only character we ever see.