Your Thoughts: Elmo Saves Christmas

Kiki

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I really enjoyed this. I saw it when I was about 3 (so... roughly when it came out), and I've loved it ever since. I'm not the biggest fan of Elmo (prolly liked him a bit more when I was little), but don't mind the little guy, it's just that like a lot of you I simply find him overexposed. But I really love this and yes, I know it's nowhere near Christmas (but, hey- Christmas in July? :confused:), but I just wanted to know what the rest of you thought of this? Did you love it? Did you hate it? I wanna hear you guyseses opinions(es :stick_out_tongue:)!

Kiki

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I like "Elmo saves Christmas", but not as much as "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street". I like the fact that the running gag was clips from "It's a Wonderful Life" that keep showing up throughout the special. However, I do love the finale when everyone sings "Keep Christmas with you" which is one of my favorite Christmas songs. It's funny when Ernie and Bert show up just as their names were being said when "Wonderful Life" was on, but why didn't they speak in the special like the other major characters? I wish Kermit was more involved with the story than that one scene where he was reporting Christmas every day occuring. Overall, I enjoy it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Underrated. Really it was. One of the few times you get to see Elmo as a character and not a fluffy plush toy talking about how birthday cakes. We get to see him make mistakes and learn from them, and grow as a character. Not play the "Healthy Foods Game" or basically do anything devoid of personality. Something I'd really like to see out of the character on the show, that we actually don't see too much.

Sure, it's no Christmas Eve on SS... that one is just untouchable quality. But it's heaps better than "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" and a "Special Anne Murray, Leslie Uggams, Imogene Coca, and Ethel Merman Christmas that just so happens to take place on Sesame Street, with Big Bird and Oscar and half the human Cast".

I admit I liked Elmo's World Happy Holidays, though I wish it went into further detail about Kwanzaa and Ramadan.

As for Elmo saves Christmas? We really got a lot of great interactions between characters that weren't Elmo. I'm guessing Frank was only able to appear to do Cookie, and not Bert... and Steve with Kermit, but not Ernie... hence why they didn't talk.

But the last Sesame Street special to feature Kermit in a NEW segment made specifically for the special? That was quite possible the biggest part.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd say it's the second best SS Christmas special (after Christmas Eve, of course), mainly because of what Drtooth said. It shows the Elmo I know and love: a furry red monster with a wide range of emotions and a deep personality, not just there to be annoyingly cute and one-dimensional. What makes it even better is that he doesn't take over the show like he does today, which means we got to see a whole cast of characters interacting with Elmo and others.

I also like ESC because it shows us the consequences of having Christmas every single day, something that has never been done before in specials. It's also pretty depressing because of this, but that's a good thing, and not just for Oscar, because SS can't be happy all the time.

I also liked the Grover/Mr. Johnson subplot and Harvey Fierstein's performance as the Christmas Bunny, and "Keep Christmas With You" sung at the end was a nice treat for us old-school fans.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I liked it...except that Bob was relegated (sp?) to just caroling around with people that seemed oddly placed with him. I like Bob more than any other of the human cast and would have loved seeing him with more spoken time and insight since to me it was always Gordon and Bob with the heartfelt advice that helped learn the lesson.

I could be wrong too...maybe Bob was in it more than I remember. It's been a while.

Christmas Eve on SS is by FAR my favorite Christmas Special ever. Muppet Family Christmas is 2nd but it doesn't touch CEoSS even. (Although if they released MFC on DVD that might change my mind. I never get to watch it anymore because my VCR broke)

sesameguy

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that many of you folks enjoyed this as well. I was pleasantly surprised by "Elmo saves Christmas." I certainly had my doubts before I saw it. "They'll never top 'Christmas Eve on Sesame Street,'" I thought. But I felt they came close! It was an enjoyable show to watch and it is certainly something that grownups can take as well. Worthy of watching.

Kiki

Reaction score
I like "Elmo saves Christmas", but not as much as "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street". I like the fact that the running gag was clips from "It's a Wonderful Life" that keep showing up throughout the special. However, I do love the finale when everyone sings "Keep Christmas with you" which is one of my favorite Christmas songs. It's funny when Ernie and Bert show up just as their names were being said when "Wonderful Life" was on, but why didn't they speak in the special like the other major characters? I wish Kermit was more involved with the story than that one scene where he was reporting Christmas every day occuring. Overall, I enjoy it.
I loved the part with Ernie and Bert! :smile: yeah, I agree, they should've spoken, but I also loved the bit where they hear they're name on the Tv. Vair funny.

Underrated. Really it was. One of the few times you get to see Elmo as a character and not a fluffy plush toy talking about how birthday cakes. We get to see him make mistakes and learn from them, and grow as a character. Not play the "Healthy Foods Game" or basically do anything devoid of personality. Something I'd really like to see out of the character on the show, that we actually don't see too much.

Sure, it's no Christmas Eve on SS... that one is just untouchable quality. But it's heaps better than "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" and a "Special Anne Murray, Leslie Uggams, Imogene Coca, and Ethel Merman Christmas that just so happens to take place on Sesame Street, with Big Bird and Oscar and half the human Cast".

I admit I liked Elmo's World Happy Holidays, though I wish it went into further detail about Kwanzaa and Ramadan.

As for Elmo saves Christmas? We really got a lot of great interactions between characters that weren't Elmo. I'm guessing Frank was only able to appear to do Cookie, and not Bert... and Steve with Kermit, but not Ernie... hence why they didn't talk.

But the last Sesame Street special to feature Kermit in a NEW segment made specifically for the special? That was quite possible the biggest part.
I second that. All of it. :big_grin: And it's so good to hear that so many folks enjoy it as well as me. I thought Elmo was actually really good in it. Well- I know it's his special and all, but yeah.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that many of you folks enjoyed this as well. I was pleasantly surprised by "Elmo saves Christmas." I certainly had my doubts before I saw it. "They'll never top 'Christmas Eve on Sesame Street,'" I thought. But I felt they came close! It was an enjoyable show to watch and it is certainly something that grownups can take as well. Worthy of watching.

I really love these sort of Christmas specials. Intimate ones with the cast and their stories... maybe one or two cameo guests playing characters. Not like Christmas Countdown (or worse, Specail Christmas) where the celebrities take all the focus, and it becomes an excuse to sell a soundtrack that never gets made. That's why Muppet Family Christmas and Emmit Otter hold up so well. I agree... while there's no topping Christmas Eve, this one comes close enough in spirit.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
This was a good special. I miss seeing it on TV each year. Of course I could always spring for the DVD. Lol. It would have been nice if :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: were given speaking parts, but maybe the writers didn't think the joke would have worked if they had spoken or like others have suggested, it might have had to do with Steve and Frank's limited availability. Overall, I really liked the concept.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I would have to echo everyone's sentiments here...a good special but second to "Christmas Eve..." Bert and Ernie should have talked, Kermit should have been more involved, but I will say that Charles Durning played a great santa and Harvey Firestein was HILARIOUS as the Easter Bunny. I also enjoyed the running gag between Grover and Mr. Johnson with the trees...great stuff.