Food Network Challenge: Sesame Street Cakes

MWoO

Reaction score
The problem I had was... If you're going to criticize the inclusion of a self-created character as losing points, then why do you praise and give points for the Muppet Parody Judges? Sorry, but that's what I kept railing against while watching the show. Rully glad I caught this, okay, was waiting for it to come on. This was great, I'm looking forward to everything SST 40th-ish this year.
Well, to me, the judges were like any other anything muppets. Not new characters so much as generic anything muppets that have always been apart of sesame street. Jellybean was different, as was holding the iconic street sign. Also, the guy is a veteran of the challenges while the person that did the Elmo cake was only on challenge number 2.

The guy who did Oscar was certainly a bit of a grouch and he made such a rookie mistake by not starting Oscar first. If he wasn't able to make all his cans and peeks and such but made a perfect Oscar he would have been fine, but he focused too much on all the side pieces. Also his fondant work was really bad as was some of his detail work. I just feel like he didn't have a huge grasp on the concept, and considering his age I can see why. Personally, I think it would have been cool if he went for a retro Oscar meets Modern Oscar approach. That would have been interesting, and would have been a good way to show the spanning of 40 years.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Whoops, been looking forward to watching it but never knew when it was on. Are there links to it?

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Whoops, been looking forward to watching it but never knew when it was on. Are there links to it?
it says on the show's website that they'll air the episode again Aug 1 at 4 pm ET/PT and Aug 9 at 6 pm ET/PT

StreetScenes

Reaction score
i didn't mind jelly bean as much as the splashes around him--they looked more nickelodeon than sesame street. but that guy was the only one to put another muppet in there, and not one of the ones that super popular today, either. the problem with truly representing a show with an ensemble cast is that it would have been better if they put all the cakes together into one, but that would have been a bit over the top.

so we've seen what cake decorators thought up, what would fans' designs look like if we all had mad cake sculpting skills?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'd like to see an Ace of Cakes version. They'd probably do a street scene. :big_grin:

Thanks for the heads up, btw.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... If you go to the Food Network's website, you can navigate through the links for their TV listings to find out when it'll reair. I know fer surely this Saturday, anywhere from 2-5 PM. Hope this helps.

MWoO

Reaction score
I rewatched it last night and saw Rizzo on the Oscar cake. Neat idea, but I bet they didn't mention it because of legal issues and I bet he was dinged for including a character from another license as well. It's too bad that licensing issues kept that piece from being shown off.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I rewatched it last night and saw Rizzo on the Oscar cake. Neat idea, but I bet they didn't mention it because of legal issues and I bet he was dinged for including a character from another license as well. It's too bad that licensing issues kept that piece from being shown off.
I noticed Rizzo on the Oscar cake too! I thought it was a neat little easter egg for those watching who are more than just Sesame Street fans!

I thought the best looking cake was Elmo with Cookie Monster a close second. The Big Bird cake was off, but I can't really say how. And, lastly, I agree with the judges that Oscar wasn't big enough.

(This is my own opinion please don't shout at me if you think differently)

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I taped it last night. I thought the Elmo cake was the best one. I'm gonna have to watch this again to see Rizzo on the Oscar cake.