D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

petrieboy

Reaction score
What's the big deal. Lots of promises, and nothing ever gets made- except for cheezy TV projects without soul, and youtube videos that are a waste of time.

When was Fraggle Rock the movie promised? Power of Dark Crystal? A good Muppet movie?

The Muppets didn't die with Jim- they had a moment of joy with Muppet Christmas Carol, and then took long suffering last breaths.

Muppet Show Season 4 is good, but expected.

Blah blah blah. I've had it with the Muppets.

I'm still open to a new masterpiece, but my hope for it is about nil. They should have hired me a long time ago to fix everything.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
petrieboy said:
...Then why are you still here bringing everyone else down? Posts like this aren't constructive at all.

These things are obviously going to happen. When announced at such a large event, they're bound to. That's all there is to it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
What's the big deal. Lots of promises, and nothing ever gets made- except for cheezy TV projects without soul, and youtube videos that are a waste of time.

When was Fraggle Rock the movie promised? Power of Dark Crystal? A good Muppet movie?

The Muppets didn't die with Jim- they had a moment of joy with Muppet Christmas Carol, and then took long suffering last breaths.

Muppet Show Season 4 is good, but expected.

I'm still open to a new masterpiece, but my hope for it is about nil. They should have hired me a long time ago to fix everything.
Hey, last year, they promised us a Christmas special and what did we get? A very well done Christmas special! I don't think they would announce all those things, especially in bulk and with photographic evidence, if they weren't going to follow through with them.

Muppetplus

Reaction score
Hmmm... a bunch of new muppet stuff, huh?

Pardon me while I go have a panic attack in the next room.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, last year, they promised us a Christmas special and what did we get? A very well done Christmas special! I don't think they would announce all those things, especially in bulk and with photographic evidence, if they weren't going to follow through with them?
Exactly... we finally get the great stuff the Muppets deserve and now we're complaining it's not enough? Remember... Muppet Wizard of Oz can be compared to Batman and Robin... it killed the franchise and there was scrambling to get some great project to relaunch them off the ground. We had 2 unfinished pilots, and the cancellation of a special that wouldn't have been finished anyway (the election special). There was a Halloween special that ran into production problems, and may just happen next year.

Really.. all of this useless whining and moaning is just counter productive. And why haven't we got the FR movie yet? That's because of Weinstine NOT Disney.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Eh, it's just one person complaining--someone who obviously hasn't seen all the overwhelming evidence. Let's not let them spoil it for us.

GO MUPPETS! ! ! :big_grin: :smile: :sing:

petrieboy

Reaction score
I've been here quite a while, people. Willing and waiting... and just had enough.

The Christmas special from last year falls into "Cheezy and without soul" category I mentioned.

I don't care about having a TON of Muppet stuff. I want something of substance. I'd rather have 1 great movie every 5 years than 5 years of a youtube video every day.

I am here because I'm a fan, and I've seen all this ecstatic joy over the GREAT RETURN time and again on here. The proof is in the pudding, and I'm choking on all the aspartame they've put in their pudding since 1993.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I've been here quite a while, people. Willing and waiting... and just had enough.

The Christmas special from last year falls into "Cheezy and without soul" category I mentioned.

I don't care about having a TON of Muppet stuff. I want something of substance. I'd rather have 1 great movie every 5 years than 5 years of a youtube video every day.

I am here because I'm a fan, and I've seen all this ecstatic joy over the GREAT RETURN time and again on here. The proof is in the pudding, and I'm choking on all the aspartame they've put in their pudding since 1993.
I'm not getting in to this right now... but I'm just going to say this: Do you not understand that they can't just do a new movie and expect it to be popular? They HAVE to do TV appearances, specials, YouTube videos (which are the best thing to happen in a LONG, LONG time, and you're obviously extremely closed minded). These things take time, and you're just running out of patience at the wrong time. That's a shame. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

I think you're being a little negative but I understand it. We've been burned in the past.

The Halloween special was pulled this year in favor of a 2010 release so that it wouldn't suffer the same -rushed- fate as Letters to Santa. I think we can count on this special...next year. And the YouTube stuff isn't a waste of time. It's promising and reminds me of the Sam & Friends bits. It gets the Muppets back into shape for the bigger stuff. Muppets in training!

The new Muppet film also seems promising. I believe this one. It was announced at the opening of Disney's conference. That shows the amount of confidence they have.

The rest of the stuff is just stuff. It's good to have. I think we have plenty to be happy about.

The Fraggle and Dark Crystal projects...well, that's Henson Co's doing. I've heard that things are fairly disorganized over there and they have a skeleton crew. People think of Henson as a powerhouse when actually it’s still more like a start-up company with some successes and an established name. It’s hard, but we need to cut them some slack. So many bigger companies are going under. They’re just trying to survive and fund new ventures. Takes patience.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
The Fraggle and Dark Crystal projects...well, that's Henson Co's doing. I've heard that things are fairly disorganized over there and they have a skeleton crew. People think of Henson as a powerhouse when actually it’s still more like a start-up company with some successes and an established name. It’s hard, but we need to cut them some slack. So many bigger companies are going under. They’re just trying to survive and fund new ventures. Takes patience.
I definitely agree. Plus, for such a small team, they have a good number of successes right now, the biggest one probably being Sid the Science Kid. It wasn't until my 10 year old sister (clearly not the target audience for the show) told me that EVERYONE watches the show that I realized how well it was doing. Plus, the Henson Alternative really seems to be Brian's baby and I'm sure he's focuses on that. I have faith that Henson won't forget about the Fraggle movie or Power of the Dark Crystal, but they're not at the position where they can snap their fingers and make whatever movie they want.