Wow! What a twisted episode of Family Guy!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I missed that part, and I would've been ticked. Really, it IS lazy. That's why I don't like it half as much as I used to. Family Guy didn't become a cult hit because it did the same exact joke 4 or 5 times... it became a cult show because it was unpredictable and random. And even early on in the revival, they violently killed overused jokes and characters. Man, that and the unfunny Conway Twitty thing.
Yeah, excatly, I feel totally the same way. As an original fan, it's upsetting to see how the show has turned out.

I could see the girl becoming the Meg character. They're doing the same thing with Haylee in American Dad, and I'm not happy about it. I mean they gave her a personality to work with and make fun of, and yet, she's the "We don't like you" character. Still love American Dad, though.
Perhaps, but at the moment at least, it seems like Cleveland Jr is going to become the "We don't like you" character. Roberta Tubbs (the girl) seems to have a good social life with a boyfriend, where as Cleveland seems to have a hard time making friends and suffers much fat jokes. But I'm hoping nither character becomes the "Meg" of the show. I enjoyed in the last episode the sweetness Cleveland Jr's new stepbrother and stepsister showed him along side the fat jokes and I hope they keep it that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, excatly, I feel totally the same way. As an original fan, it's upsetting to see how the show has turned out.
Oh yeah... I mean, Family Guy has the "We don't know how to write for a Teenage girl the network pressured us into adding" excuse... but American Dad doesn't. One of AD's executive producers was the head writer for Pepper Ann (and the writer of some of the best scripts in AD BTW)... and Haylee has a personality, unlike Meg. I mean, they use Stan to make fun of Conservatives, they clearly want to use her to make fun of college age liberals... Seems that she's only the "we don't like you" character some of the time.

Perhaps, but at the moment at least, it seems like Cleveland Jr is going to become the "We don't like you" character. Roberta Tubbs (the girl) seems to have a good social life with a boyfriend, where as Cleveland seems to have a hard time making friends and suffers much fat jokes. But I'm hoping nither character becomes the "Meg" of the show. I enjoyed in the last episode the sweetness Cleveland Jr's new stepbrother and stepsister showed him along side the fat jokes and I hope they keep it that way.
For the reason I stated with Haylee, I think they're gonna screw up the female teenage character. Seems like Cleveland Jr. is the hated kid, but they almost genuinely care about him. Cleveland Sr. especially. And I did like that time they had that roast for him, trying to make fun of him only so he could cry out anything he could possibly be carrying from the divorce. I have to admit, I liked how that was handled.

muppetsliveon

Reaction score
is Tv Funhouse "Inside the Disney Vault" cartoon the one where they have jim henson tied up?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw this episode in syndication that I missed last season, no thanks to my Fox affiliate switching to digital 3 months early... the one with O.J. Simpson... and it was TERRIBLE! I mean awful awful awful! Not only did they spend half the first act on a tired, long and not funny at all Conway Twitty joke, but it took them halfway through the secobnd act to get to the A story (something I hate when the Simpsons do), and the jokes were mostly flat and involved talking animals.

It did have 2 really good jokes in it, a stab at the Simpsons and a reenactment of the Nichole Brown murder... but it seemed like something they rattled off at the last minute. Just terrible.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I just saw this episode in syndication that I missed last season, no thanks to my Fox affiliate switching to digital 3 months early... the one with O.J. Simpson... and it was TERRIBLE! I mean awful awful awful! Not only did they spend half the first act on a tired, long and not funny at all Conway Twitty joke, but it took them halfway through the secobnd act to get to the A story (something I hate when the Simpsons do), and the jokes were mostly flat and involved talking animals.

It did have 2 really good jokes in it, a stab at the Simpsons and a reenactment of the Nichole Brown murder... but it seemed like something they rattled off at the last minute. Just terrible.
Did you see that newer episode with Stewie getting to meet Miley Cyrus? That episode sucked big time. That was awful beyond awful. I just wasn't impressed.

I mean I'm not a fan of Miley either (besides her voice over work in the movie Bolt) but geez to make an episode bashing her was just lame. Especially since it made the whole Evil Monkey moving on away from Chris pretty much a subplot. I don't understand that at all since at one time it seemed like the Evil Monkey was a pretty popular character on FG. Although I pretty much thought that Brain's son killed him off, :confused:.

I missed this episode when it first aired, but checked it on on Hulu.com, man I thought it was god awful. Like I stated before, right now I'm enjoying the FG spin off "The Cleveland Show" more than FG, but I feel it's just a matter of time before that show gets just as bad. I did find it funny in the thanksgiving episode where they more or less took a stab at Taylor Perry's Madea character or other movies with the whole "black man in really fat black suit" movies like Norbit or Big Mama's House. They character totally sum up all those movies, fart jokes and "they think they're sexy, when they're not" jokes, that's sums them up perferctly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did you see that newer episode with Stewie getting to meet Miley Cyrus? That episode sucked big time. That was awful beyond awful. I just wasn't impressed.

I mean I'm not a fan of Miley either (besides her voice over work in the movie Bolt) but geez to make an episode bashing her was just lame. Especially since it made the whole Evil Monkey moving on away from Chris pretty much a subplot. I don't understand that at all since at one time it seemed like the Evil Monkey was a pretty popular character on FG. Although I pretty much thought that Brain's son killed him off, :confused:.
Honestly, saying she's a robot was treating her with kid gloves... now the Simpsons? They wrecked her... they portrayed her as a greedy little brat who onlt cares that the fans give her money, and even when she speaks, she lipsyncs... and she was portrayed wonderfully by Ellen Paige. If I had a cartoon, i'd make vicious stabs at her... I guess all animators and cartoon workers feel the same about how her show impacted the industry for kid's animation... even though they're adult shows.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Honestly, saying she's a robot was treating her with kid gloves... now the Simpsons? They wrecked her... they portrayed her as a greedy little brat who onlt cares that the fans give her money, and even when she speaks, she lipsyncs... and she was portrayed wonderfully by Ellen Paige. If I had a cartoon, i'd make vicious stabs at her... I guess all animators and cartoon workers feel the same about how her show impacted the industry for kid's animation... even though they're adult shows.
Well like I said I wasn't upset that they bashed Miley, I don't know, I just didn't think it was that funny. I saw that Simpsons one and thought it was much better (maybe even more true to life too). Perhaps I should of put it in a better way, :smile:.

But are you saying the Hannah Montana show has had a negative impact on animation? Or did I miss something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
But are you saying the Hannah Montana show has had a negative impact on animation? Or did I miss something?
It had a negative impact on children's animation, as more and more greedy children's TV services were looking to invest in live action programming due to the success of that show... in other words, Out of Jimmy's Head, CN Real, Nickelodeon's shows that aren't exactly the same, not even one bit... so, it had a negative impact in the way that they'd make billions of little clones to cash in on it. But rest assured, only children's television animation was affected. And HM having better ratings than all the animated programming combined didn't help things either.

But then again, it's just one of many annoying and idiotic factors that killed an already neutered industry. I don't care if I ever have a show, that doesn't mean I don't want to watch someone else's.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
It had a negative impact on children's animation, as more and more greedy children's TV services were looking to invest in live action programming due to the success of that show... in other words, Out of Jimmy's Head, CN Real, Nickelodeon's shows that aren't exactly the same, not even one bit... so, it had a negative impact in the way that they'd make billions of little clones to cash in on it. But rest assured, only children's television animation was affected. And HM having better ratings than all the animated programming combined didn't help things either.
Ok that makes total sense, I don't really pay attention to those kind of shows. I don't know, though, my little bro has been watching a lot of Phineas and Ferb, it's an animated show that been getting a lot of air time on Disney as of late. Though, I don't know it could just be since it's christmas time and they want to promote that christmas special or something, :confused:. You know Phineas and Ferb isn't too bad of a cartoon show either.

But getting back to Family Guy since that's what this thread is about, I will say that episode where Quimare confesses his dislike for Brian was a bit more entertaining. I did have a odd "take that" kind of feel when he went on that rampage about all of Brian's flaws, :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ok that makes total sense, I don't really pay attention to those kind of shows. I don't know, though, my little bro has been watching a lot of Phineas and Ferb, it's an animated show that been getting a lot of air time on Disney as of late. Though, I don't know it could just be since it's christmas time and they want to promote that christmas special or something, :confused:. You know Phineas and Ferb isn't too bad of a cartoon show either.
I have to see that... Looks like a good show. My whole problem is that I feel these live action shows CAN co-exist with animated programming, but the producers feel otherwise. And It's not so much Disney that gets me when it comes to this, but the fact that everyone else has to do it.... It's what I've been saying about all cable channels in general. They copy everyone else to get the very same viewers that are quite happy watching the originals that they're copying. it's lose lose... you lose a potential audience by running an alternative, and you can't get the other audience by copying their favorite shows.

But getting back to Family Guy since that's what this thread is about, I will say that episode where Quimare confesses his dislike for Brian was a bit more entertaining. I did have a odd "take that" kind of feel when he went on that rampage about all of Brian's flaws, :smile:
I really think that was also a nice self stab at how much of a pill Brian has been since the newer episodes. I especially liked the part where they rattled on the fact that they made the fact that Brian's an atheist the ONLY thing about the character (Flanderization is the term when a small characteristic gets blown out of proportion and gives the character a lame one note feel for them... sort of character De-evolution). I really wish someone would do that to Stewie. Man, I just hate what they did to the character, making his effeminacy the only thing about the character...