Does anyone know how to get work solicited?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently submitted a piece to the big Diz, who said they cannot view unsolicited work. My question for you guys here is how on earth do I go about getting something solicited? ? ?:confused:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Can you be a bit more specific about your problem please?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Can you be a bit more specific about your problem please?
Hi D'snowth, my problem is, I'm working on an illustration of the Muppets (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23001839@N02/) and want to submit it to Disney in the hopes of getting possible future work working on the Muppets (who wouldn't, right?). Anyhoot, I contacted Lylle Breier (Head of Muppet Studios) who said she cannot look at unsolicited material but would be happy to take a look if it were solicited:confused:

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
My understanding is that it has to be presented with a formal application. You can't just send a copy of your illustration to them and ask.

My guess would be that you may need to have several discussions with this Lylle explaining your background, your interest in the Muppets, etc, etc. Basically, she'll only be able to look at your amazing illustration if she asks to see it.

Either that, or you find some contact info for another Muppet illustrator and get them to reference you and your work.

Luke

Reaction score
Reevz what they mean is you need an agent or some kind of references within the Disney company who can recommend you to them when they need someone for that kind of work.

It's pretty common with anything. Wow you artwork is so good though, would be brilliant for Muppet greeting cards or posters. You might also look at contacting companies who hold licensees for the kind of Muppet stuff where they would use designers. I believe Marks and Spencer is one.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Thanks folks, any help, info or advice is truly appreciated. I work as a full time illustrator for a huge company but have little knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing as, because I do all the illustration work, we never need to get anyone in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Reevz what they mean is you need an agent or some kind of references within the Disney company who can recommend you to them when they need someone for that kind of work.
Yeah, sadly you can't really make it in this kind of business unless you know somebody who has connections.

I know, because that's what people tell me all the time, lol.

Luke

Reaction score
Well maybe they are allowed to look at his work "officially" if they contact him first ... so hopefully after they saw what his drawings were like they will be in touch when they need someone - its pretty top class stuff for them not to have noticed.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I have three suggestions...

1) You had previously been featured on the Muppet Mindset. I'm sure representatives of Disney/Muppets Studio check out the major fan sites regularly so someone would have already seen a sampling there - perhaps a follow-up interview where you mention how you've not been successful getting this to Disney might open a door.

2) We have a few "official" artists here on the forum since there are artists who work on Boom's Muppet comics (at least one of which was a member and had posted are before getting the Boom job) - get in contact with them, explain the situation, and see if they might serve as a reference.

3) Instead of sending this to the head of Muppets Studio as an example of your work, why not instead send copies to other creative people in the Muppets Studio (puppeteers, writers, directors, designers) as a gift? At least one of them might then say to Lyelle, "say you know you might want to see this and consider..."

Drtooth

Reaction score
2) We have a few "official" artists here on the forum since there are artists who work on Boom's Muppet comics (at least one of which was a member and had posted are before getting the Boom job) - get in contact with them, explain the situation, and see if they might serve as a reference.
I was just about to suggest that somehow.

Listen, if it makes you feel any better, your stuff is breathtaking and has a photo-realistic quality that would be perfect for official work.

Now, here's the little piece of advice I have (and this is coming from someone who's probably destined to just have a deviant art page full of Dr. Robotnik themed internet meme humor)... did you try sending them illustrations of non-muppet or non-Disney work? The one rule I know that has to do with cartoon writing (and I feel this is similar) is that you can't send a sample script of a show of the same show you're applying to. A) it's considered unsolicited and B) they can pick apart all the things wrong with the script anyway.

And it doesn't hurt to build up a LOT more stuff in your portfolio other than specific cartoons/puppets to show to one company. You're gonna have to have a LOT of original stuff, and a sampling of other's works. That's what I've been told in college anyway.