New Video: Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody!

beaker

Reaction score
(I realize of course, that Clifford is the only major black character the Muppets have ever seen, and his puppeteer deserves some pretty awesome respect.)
Oh I LOVE Clifford. All the way back to his shining roles in Muppet Television(JHH) and Muppets @ WDW. When they announced(then "Muppets Live", later Muppets Tonight) he would be the host of the new Muppet show I was thrilled.

I wish Clash would go back do doing Clifford or make up some cool new character...but I guess the $ is too good with Elmo.

And yeah, there's only been a few "black" Muppets; the other one Rosevelt Franklin they pretty much banned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aside from first-season growing pains, and the lack of leadership and especially creative leadership.... For me the major problem was Clifford. I just feel that he was not a well rounded character, and there was no real change in him from episode one then in the final episode. Not to mention that not once did Clifford evoke any reaction from me. There is nothing particularly negative about him but he was just...there.
When it comes to Clifford, I just can't blame the character... I really like him, and I wish that he was still sitting with the Mayhem band to this day, just like he was in The Disneyworld special. I mean, this pretty much came out of a period where they were trying to use Kermit less and less, and they basically gave the gig to the hippest new character, trying to emulate late night talk shows. I guess if they had Gonzo and Rizzo host it, it would have fared a lot better...

But the thing that bugs me about MT was the fact they had all these new characters to fill out the gaps... and while there were solid characters like Johnny, Sal, VanNeuter and Pepe, we also had a bunch of celebrity parody pigs and characters like Mr. Poodlepants that were extremely flat, and even annoying to watch. Plus, I think there was too much of the pop culture parody skits, and they didn't seem as organic as the TMS regular sketches, which borrowed pop culture parodies in a different way, making them their own, We had general parodies of medical shows, sci fi and cop shows (Vets Hospital, Pigs in Space, and Bear on Patrol respectively), but since they were so general, they didn't come off as at the moment cultural mentions.

I really did like MT, but it seems that they were trying to be hip too hard.

jeffy

Reaction score
Aside from first-season growing pains, and the lack of leadership and especially creative leadership.... For me the major problem was Clifford. I just feel that he was not a well rounded character, and there was no real change in him from episode one then in the final episode. Not to mention that not once did Clifford evoke any reaction from me. There is nothing particularly negative about him but he was just...there.
I just wanted to clarify. I meant to say that I never felt Clifford grew as a character.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Two things about the video:

One - I LOVE Floyd's jacket.

Two - Did anyone else notice that the Swedish Chef is wearing a wedding band?

rexcrk

Reaction score
I wonder what Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson think of the video!

beaker

Reaction score
When it comes to Clifford, I just can't blame the character... I really like him, and I wish that he was still sitting with the Mayhem band to this day, just like he was in The Disneyworld special. I mean, this pretty much came out of a period where they were trying to use Kermit less and less, and they basically gave the gig to the hippest new character, trying to emulate late night talk shows. I guess if they had Gonzo and Rizzo host it, it would have fared a lot better...

But the thing that bugs me about MT was the fact they had all these new characters to fill out the gaps... and while there were solid characters like Johnny, Sal, VanNeuter and Pepe, we also had a bunch of celebrity parody pigs and characters like Mr. Poodlepants that were extremely flat, and even annoying to watch. Plus, I think there was too much of the pop culture parody skits, and they didn't seem as organic as the TMS regular sketches, which borrowed pop culture parodies in a different way, making them their own, We had general parodies of medical shows, sci fi and cop shows (Vets Hospital, Pigs in Space, and Bear on Patrol respectively), but since they were so general, they didn't come off as at the moment cultural mentions.

I really did like MT, but it seems that they were trying to be hip too hard.
Whoah...I LOVE a lot of the parodies.
Codependence Day? The skit spoofing Devo and Nine Inch Nails?
Seinfeld Babies? Heck, Kermit doing a full length cover of Talking Head's "Once in a Lifetime" is one of the most visionary things I've seen from the Muppets. Yeah, a lot of the first season is kind of so so, but later in the first and especially the Disney Channel exclusive second season is where things shine. I myself sooo am hoping we get Muppets Tonight next year in a 2 season boxset with bonus UK skits never aired in America and a gillion extras! I mean Beaker and Pepe rapping with Coolio, too classic!

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score
Two things about the video:

One - I LOVE Floyd's jacket.

Two - Did anyone else notice that the Swedish Chef is wearing a wedding band?
I've noticed that with the Chef a lot lately, actually. He's also wearing one in the pumpkin carving video and I think in Letters to Santa, as well. I assume, if nothing else, that means Chef's hands have a consistent performer!:hungry: