What would Jim have thought of today's SST?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Speaking of what Jim would have thought, sometimes I wonder what Jon Stone would've thought...

There is an unpublished collection of Jon Stone's memoirs that was referenced in "Street Gang". Man, would I love to read that! I know he wasn't too crazy about the "Around the Corner" idea.

Convincing John

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know he wasn't too crazy about the "Around the Corner" idea.

Convincing John
The 40 Years book says that he DID like the Furry Arms Hotel, and that he was often seen riding his bike through out the Around the Corner area of the studio from time to time.

Convincing John

Reaction score
No kidding? (Shrug) I thought either it was him or another long-time SS veteran that didn't like the idea in Street Gang. I'll have to look that up again.:search:

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got to read that book. I was hoping to get it for Christmas, but I don't think anyone saw it. And I'd rather own it than check it out of the library. But wasn't Around the Corner basically an attempt to stay fresh when a lumbering lavender dinosaur costume was taking all the publicity (which started the long decent that kid's shows had since)? I wonder if Jim would have liked any of that, but I can't so much see anything I think he'd really object to.

SSLFan

Reaction score
No kidding? (Shrug) I thought either it was him or another long-time SS veteran that didn't like the idea in Street Gang. I'll have to look that up again.:search:
It was indeed Jon Stone who objected to the idea (and the many other changes) going on to the show. But as Snowth pointed out, he must've liked the Furry Arms.

I have to get the 40th anniversary book though, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
From page 207, as quoted by Joey...

"Out of all the stuff we did, Jon Stone loved the Furry Arms. The best thing about around-the-corner, I remember, was that Jon would ride his bike there, because it was so far around; he would take a bike from the control room all the way around the corner. I loved it. I miss Jon."

ISNorden

Reaction score
One thing that Jim probably woudn't like, in spite of his creating so many puppet mascots for commercials before: Sesame Street needing to depend on corporate sponsors and spend four minutes of each show crediting them with custom-made ads. If he hadn't died, he probably would've insisted: "If a few seconds during a musical credit crawl was good enough for the Ford Foundation, it should be good enough for those banks and food businesses."