Your Thoughts: MC on Twitter

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To kick off 2010, Muppet Central is now on Twitter. Some major announcements will be happening in the future and we want to get you the information as soon as possible.

http://twitter.com/muppetcentral

If you see news on the forum that’s worthy of a Twitter post, until another system is in place feel free to e-mail me through the forum with Twitter in the subject line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Twitter is so pointless.

The purpose of it is a feature on both MySpace and Facebook, it's not like we need yet another activity stream to post updates that we already posted on MySpace or Facebook.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Twitter is the latest fad/toy to hit the net. Everyone feels like they aren't "legitimate" unless they have their own Twitter feed when really only a very slim minority of those with Twitter feeds actually really need them.

If MC is going down the dark road of Twitter, i would offer the same advice i would offer others (and which more and more Muppet sites are falling into the trap of doing). Twitter is - and should be - an ENHANCEMENT to a site, NOT A REPLACEMENT. Sadly most people once they get hooked on Twitter get so enchanted by it that they put all their energy into the Twitter page and the main site gets more neglected. Look at the sad state of The Muppet Newsflash since they started Twittering. It used to be the best #1 must-read source of Muppet/Henson news. Now it's a ghastly shell of its former self - almost a deserted wasteland where the occasional post pops up more as an "oh - maybe i should put something on here now" obligation thing. Before Twitter, the word that would come to mind when one hears "Muppet Newsflash" is "essential"; post Twitter it's "crickets".

Over the past couple years, the biggest complaint about MC as a website is that the forum is its main draw and that the actual site itself is scarce with updates. That's what caused the Muppet Mindset to start up because people wanted to write for and contribute to MC but weren't seeing any progress. Given how Twitter tends to cause webmasters to divert serious attention away from their home base sites and how this is already MC's biggest perceived weekness, i would urge EXTREME caution not to fall even further into the Twitter Trap if you're opening that door. The homebase must always come first. The fanciest curtains don't mean much if there's no glass in the window panes.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Twitter is the latest fad/toy to hit the net. Everyone feels like they aren't "legitimate" unless they have their own Twitter feed when really only a very slim minority of those with Twitter feed's actually really need them.

If MC is going down the dark road of Twitter, i would offer the same advice i would offer others (and which more and more Muppet sites are falling into the trap of doing). Twitter is - and should be - an ENHANCEMENT to a site, NOT A REPLACEMENT. Sadly most people once they get hooked on Twitter get so enchanted by it that they put all their energy into the Twitter page and the main site gets more neglected. Look at the sad state of The Muppet Newsflash since they started Twittering. It used to be the best #1 must-read source of Muppet/Henson news. Now it's a ghastly shell of its former self - almost a deserted wasteland where the occasional post pops up more as an "oh - maybe i should put something on here now" obligation thing. Before Twitter, the word that would come to mind when hears "Muppet Newsflash" is "essential"; post Twitter it's "crickets".

Over the past couple years, the biggest complaint about MC as a website is that the forum is its main draw and that the actual site itself is scarce with updates. That's what caused the Muppet Mindset to start up because people wanted to write for and contribute to MC but weren't seeing any progress. Given how Twitter tends to cause webmasters to divert serious attention away from their home base sites and how this is already MC's biggest perceived weekness, i would urge EXTREME caution not to fall even further into the Twitter Trap if you're opening that door. The homebase must always come first. The prettiest curtains don't mean much if there's no glass in the window panes.
I understand that the forum now leads the content on the forum. I'd probably find the time to submit more graphic material if the main page received at least a weekly update. However, I'm happier these days following Muppet Mindset, Tough Pigs, Muppet Newsflas and Muppets Studio on Facebook. I can access that from my phone so there's no real need for Twitter. :confused:

Andibcool

Reaction score
Hmm i dont really get the purpose of twitter. When i look at it i often see small sentences what that person just do or done a short while ago.
For that porpose i must say i really dont care what this or that person is doin.
There is nothing so pointless then to post that crap even if the person thinks everyone must know.

The 2nd thing i could think of is posting some news on it.
That could be a good thing but then again in the case of muppetcentral i got the newsletter, plus i visit this site much more often.
I dont see any plus for visiting twitter for news and i dont want to visit twitter at all.
I dont know why its so hyped, to me twitter is useless. I dont really look who is on twitter and who is not, i just dont care.
If i search informations the net is full of it and there are a lot better places to look then follow some links on twitter.
Just my 2 cents.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I for one was surprised when I saw this just now. I think it's an interesting idea, maybe not strictly necessary maybe, but interesting. I followed, and am looking forward to reading updates.
As for the plethora of social networking sites, part of it is the trend for sure, but part of it is also that some people find one better, or easier to use than another. For example, I have both a facebook and a twitter account, but mostly use FB because many of my friends and family are on it. I find twitter more convenient. Those who don't think so, are of course free not to use it.

flipsend

Reaction score
I have Twitter but I don't use it. I agree with the others that say its pointless and its bad enough spending loads of time on our phone and online with youtube, blogger, facebook and myspace. I would rather come online here and view any updates x

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I register and forgot my passwrod and unfortunatly I can't seem to retrieve it.

I email them and get nothing back.