US characters IN international co-productions

muppet_dk

Reaction score
These things always confuse me. Is it ever establish whether the characters live on the local street or back in America. Like when Abelardo visited Sesame Street. Oscar, Rosita, Telly and Big Bird are all characters on Plaza Sesamo, so wouldn't he know them?
Well in the case about Elmo on "Sesamgade" then he do live on the Danish street, he says so in the intro. Also the setup around the segments suggest that Bert and Ernie also lives close by, they are even seen waving to Elmo in the intro. It's the same case with Grover and Prarie Dawn, Elmo mentions them alot in the local segments mainly when he will go and ask them about something.

Bert and Ernie do also live in Germany, since they directly comment the main story on "Sesamstrasse", they do in fact live above the new human character Frau Kowalski, and if I'm not mistaken it's the building Pepe used to live in with a new paintjob.
But I think Bert and Ernie are the only ones considered to be living on Sesamstrasse, all the other American characters just stop by every now and then.

I can remember a few dubbed Ernie and Bert sketches from the Norwegian "Sesam Stasjon" were they mentioned the railroad station outside, so they must have been considered to be living next to the station.

StreetScenes said:
and if i was in germany i wouldn't even notice the difference between the decades of dubs and the new material
Well German fans do know the difference, trust me, and some voice actors over the years are more "real" than others in the eyes of the German fans. I've seen discussions were old school Sesamstrasse fans talks about how disappointed they are about the new Ernie and Bert segments.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
But I think Bert and Ernie are the only ones considered to be living on Sesamstrasse, all the other American characters just stop by every now and then.

I can remember a few dubbed Ernie and Bert sketches from the Norwegian "Sesam Stasjon" were they mentioned the railroad station outside, so they must have been considered to be living next to the station.
The same goes for Plaza Sesamo. I think an E&B sketch mentions the street, but the "Middle of the Night Whisper Song" by Hoots starts out with him saying the street is Plaza Sesamo.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Well German fans do know the difference, trust me, and some voice actors over the years are more "real" than others in the eyes of the German fans. I've seen discussions were old school Sesamstrasse fans talks about how disappointed they are about the new Ernie and Bert segments.
well you would know better than i do. but that seems like disappointment in a newer set of german voice actors, or because the writers aren't as good. like american disappointment at our own newer bert & ernie sketches. it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with having german puppets or not. i would guess that germans would have the same reaction to new bert and ernie skits if they were still dubs of our new ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The same goes for Plaza Sesamo. I think an E&B sketch mentions the street, but the "Middle of the Night Whisper Song" by Hoots starts out with him saying the street is Plaza Sesamo.
Yeah.,.. but again, that's a dub situation. I remember a Plaza Sesamo where they redubbed Telly (or someone) who was talking about how he asked everyone else on the street something, so that he mentioned Abelardo.

Really... I wonder if there's any real difference in SW's mind between redubbing characters to make it seem like they live there and making actual puppet characters to send over there, I remember reading an interview with someone who worked on the Russian co-production talking about how they were working so hard on their dub so it doesn't look like you're watching a Russian dubbed Ernie and Bert, you're watching Russian Ernie and Bert who happen to live on Russian Sesame Street... it has more of a punch, but I forgot the Russian names for them.

Which gets me to wondering what I said in my second post... did SW ever officially say "No US characters," or did they discourage it, or did the international versions all just want their own characters to follow in the footsteps of Sesamstrasse?