Rumor: Big Bird only in four Season 41 episodes

ISNorden

Reaction score
For Pete's (or Jim's, or Caroll's) sake...

Count me in with the long-time viewers who want Big Bird kept on Sesame Street! He's been around since Episode 1; he's seen a good chunk of the outside world; he's taught at least two generations of preschoolers more than all the other Muppets combined. Even though Elmo may appeal more to the pre-K audience, Big Bird has spent 40 years evolving into the bright older child showing younger ones what they need to know. Sesame Street needs a character in that role, a role that comes only with experience. If another Muppeteer needs to perform him eventually, that's not the end of the world; Bert and Ernie have survived a change in performers, and so has Cookie Monster. If Joey Mazzarino doesn't like writing for Big Bird, let Sesame Workshop find a talented writer who does want to create new material. Big Bird doesn't deserve to be thrown on the trash heap like Roosevelt Franklin, Lulu, or Aristotle: he's too iconic a character to ignore completely.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think we're being a LITTLE nasty here.

Every writer has strengths and weaknesses, even Shakespeare and Poe

The lack of Big Bird seems to come from an odd comfort zone, and I just somehow think they didn't realize that he was in so little episodes until they shot them. It is easier to write for broad, loud, characters with big personality flaws than it is to write for someone as deceivingly complex like Big Bird or Kermit.

I'll put it this way. Let's say you're writing for Tiny Toons (first thing that popped into my head) and you can write Buster and Babs sketches, but you're more comfortable with Plucky Duck stories. Now, let's say there's no character per season quota... you'd submit a LOT more Plucky cartoon scripts than any other character, even if you tried to be balanced. Comfort zones.

And remember, this IS a TV show, for every script that gets produced, there's several that don't and even more story ideas that aren't completable. Not to mention the edits for time. Who's to say Big Bird wasn't just cut out of a bunch of episodes for time constraints? Weren't we supposed to have Super Grover at The Count's Counting booth at one point this season? It happens.

And of course my other theory... Carol needs Matt to understudy the bird in some cases... but Matt has more characters both on Sesame Street and The Muppets... who's to say the fact that he's busy isn't a small part of what's happening too? Again, we don't know how many Oscar episodes there are. Maybe Carol's just a little busier with him. There's a lot to this budget cutting we don't know about. Maybe more segments have to have lesser takes and have to be produced faster.

That said, if they actually WERE trying to phase out the bird (something I find totally ridiculous), then I'd be upset. You'd get the impression they were trying to get rid of Ernie and Bert (and a lot of others) this current season, due to the lack of new footage. But I highly doubt it. The Bird is worth TOO much to them to get rid of. Even Kermit was in Muppets Tonight, even though he wasn't the host.

zns

Reaction score
I think we're being a LITTLE nasty here.

Every writer has strengths and weaknesses, even Shakespeare and Poe

The lack of Big Bird seems to come from an odd comfort zone, and I just somehow think they didn't realize that he was in so little episodes until they shot them. It is easier to write for broad, loud, characters with big personality flaws than it is to write for someone as deceivingly complex like Big Bird or Kermit.

I'll put it this way. Let's say you're writing for Tiny Toons (first thing that popped into my head) and you can write Buster and Babs sketches, but you're more comfortable with Plucky Duck stories. Now, let's say there's no character per season quota... you'd submit a LOT more Plucky cartoon scripts than any other character, even if you tried to be balanced. Comfort zones.

And remember, this IS a TV show, for every script that gets produced, there's several that don't and even more story ideas that aren't completable. Not to mention the edits for time. Who's to say Big Bird wasn't just cut out of a bunch of episodes for time constraints? Weren't we supposed to have Super Grover at The Count's Counting booth at one point this season? It happens.

And of course my other theory... Carol needs Matt to understudy the bird in some cases... but Matt has more characters both on Sesame Street and The Muppets... who's to say the fact that he's busy isn't a small part of what's happening too? Again, we don't know how many Oscar episodes there are. Maybe Carol's just a little busier with him. There's a lot to this budget cutting we don't know about. Maybe more segments have to have lesser takes and have to be produced faster.

That said, if they actually WERE trying to phase out the bird (something I find totally ridiculous), then I'd be upset. You'd get the impression they were trying to get rid of Ernie and Bert (and a lot of others) this current season, due to the lack of new footage. But I highly doubt it. The Bird is worth TOO much to them to get rid of. Even Kermit was in Muppets Tonight, even though he wasn't the host.
I agree with everything you are saying. But let's be realistic. Sesame Workshop will never really get rid of Big Bird, or Bert and Ernie either. They are still well loved for who they are and they represent great role models for children besides Elmo. What needs to be said though is that the writers and producers are doing their best to make sure that the show works for their target audience.

But once again, I am sure that Big Bird will never be taken off of Sesame Street. As I recall, at the 2009 Daytime Emmys, one of the red carpet interviewers, whose name I forget, said that Big Bird is the bomb. Big Bird was also the only character featured in the programs opening theme song. He is also the only Muppet, besides Kermit, to have a star on the walk of fame. What's more, both Big Bird and Caroll are the only people from Sesame Street to be considered a living legend from the Library of Congress, and Caroll is the only performer to have a Lifetime Achievement Award, ahead of the rest of the show.

So don't forget, just because another character or two gets more airtime, doesn't mean that the ones we also love have been forgotten. I am positive that even when Caroll is gone, which thankfully doesn't look like anytime soon, Matyt Vogal will continue to pick up where he left off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He's too iconic. That's exactly the point. If they actually, purposely tried to get rid of Big Bird, there would be a massive writing campaign to get him back. Even if there was some sinister plot against Carol for some reason (some sort of health insurance thing?) we still have at least one other person who performs him.

Elmo or no Elmo, there's no need to worry. They aren't going to phase him out. This isn't 2001-2008 Disney that tried to phase out Mickey and co. The Bird's safe.

Mupp

Reaction score
Elmo or no Elmo, there's no need to worry. They aren't going to phase him out. This isn't 2001-2008 Disney that tried to phase out Mickey and co. The Bird's safe.
Speaking of which, these days Disney seems to be trying to make Mickey popular again (not just a corporate symbol). They are trying to bring back "mischievous" Mickey, as evident with the "Epic Mickey" video game, and not have him be such a boring goody-two-shoes.
They also have "short" and "full" versions of some classic Mickey and friends cartoons online. (The short versions are re-recorded with the current voice actors and somewhat different music.)

But yeah, I agree that they are NOT going to get rid of Big Bird. He is classic. They know that people would throw a fit if they ever got rid of Big Big.

For the same reason that they made sure to keep cookies in Cookie Monster's diet. (And not to get rid of him)
And yet some fools still think that the "veggie monster" exists.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of which, these days Disney seems to be trying to make Mickey popular again (not just a corporate symbol). They are trying to bring back "mischievous" Mickey, as evident with the "Epic Mickey" video game, and not have him be such a boring goody-two-shoes.
They also have "short" and "full" versions of some classic Mickey and friends cartoons online. (The short versions are re-recorded with the current voice actors and somewhat different music.)
Well, there's a long post I could go into about Mickey. I used to really hate Iger, but now I know what he's been planning, and I recind all my anger towards him. Sure, I don't like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse's tone or Dora model of education... but it got Mickey, Goofy and Donald right back out there after Eisner put them all in a closet so they could stiffly market Winne the Pooh and Dalmatians. As for Mickey himself... the problem was that he was pretty dull in most of his older cartoons... sure there were some pretty good ones... but Donald and Goofy shorts were just better in every way possible. Even during Walt's day they pushed the Mouse aside to make more Donald shorts. But I think a lot of the stuff we've seen since the 80's, and especially the 90's-2000 or so era was gold, doing better than Walt himself ever did. I still say we lost the best Mickey we've ever had with Wayne Alwine (sp?)... he really gave the character personality.

The whole group was pushed aside until that kid's show I mentioned... and it seems that's just the kick in the red shorts they needed. Shame they haven't made another Three Musketeers or House of Mouse yet... but we just might get that in time.

But yeah, I agree that they are NOT going to get rid of Big Bird. He is classic. They know that people would throw a fit if they ever got rid of Big Big.

For the same reason that they made sure to keep cookies in Cookie Monster's diet. (And not to get rid of him)
And yet some fools still think that the "veggie monster" exists.

I still say "veggie Monster" was a PR stunt gone horribly wrong when they were trying to save face from having McD's as a sponsor... no one complained about Zyrtek or Spaghetti-o's (which was a full freaking commercial :batty: no kidding). But that's another story. Heck, when they changed the Fix it Shop to the Mail it Shop, they managed to change it back. No way are they gonna give the Bird the bird. They KNOW that the fans will be VERY angry about it. A trillion times more than anything Elmo has done or had done to him.

Mupp

Reaction score
but Donald and Goofy shorts were just better in every way possible. Even during Walt's day they pushed the Mouse aside to make more Donald shorts....
Shame they haven't made another Three Musketeers or House of Mouse yet... but we just might get that in time.
That's true, and Walt always called Donald "The Gable of our stable."
Donald and Goofy always had the best cartoons.

Yes. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is great to get the young kids interested in Mickey and friends, but I would love to see another project like House of Mouse.
I will say that Iger does seem to have more of a vision than Eisner.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I still say "Veggie Monster" was a PR stunt gone horribly wrong when they were trying to save face from having McD's as a sponsor... no one complained about Zyrtek or Spaghetti-o's (which was a full freaking commercial--no kidding). But that's another story. Heck, when they changed the Fix it Shop to the Mail it Shop, they managed to change it back. No way are they gonna give the Bird the bird. They KNOW that the fans will be VERY angry about it. A trillion times more than anything Elmo has done or had done to him.
The Veggie Monster rumors are alive and well on YouTube, judging by the comments I see on every other Sesame Street clip. Still, it seems that great minds think alike: Sesame Street has taught about nutrition for years, since parental complaints about Cookie Monster's influence go further back than most fans realize. But the lessons turned a lot preachier and more heavy-handed after Sesame Street started accepting funds from McDonald's. Once PNC (a bank) took over as the main corporate funder, the nutrition lessons went back to their normal level--coincidence? I don't think so! :rolleyes:

Your comparison with the Fix-It Shop hit the nail on the head (no pun intended); even when the old shop location became a laundromat two years ago, the writers were careful to imply that Maria and Luis had moved their Fix-It Shop somewhere else on the street. They couldn't risk hearing more fan protests or losing those toaster-repair gags, after all... :smile:

Back to Big Bird, though: I agree that fans of all ages would protest if he were retired from the show. Even the pre-kindergartners are used to seeing him there, especially when the recent seasons imply that he's a long-time resident and a friend to the newer characters. A die-hard Elmo or Zoe fan wouldn't want to see his favorite character lose an old friend, right? :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, to be clear, McD's sponsored the show at least 1-3 seasons before the Veggie Monster mess. And that was indeed nothing more than PR. Of course, the real outrage is that SS has to even run these commercials before and after the show every day. But the same health nuts who rally against this sort of thing have tight purses and wallets when it comes time for pledge month. And a Bank... really? That's a LOT safer than advertising junk food... advertising bank conglomerates... yeah... they'd never do anything to hurt us :rolleyes:... sorry... I need to vent.

Anyway, I always sort of agreed with the Mail it Shop thing, even though it was kinda disappointing. It was a sign of the times... if it's broke, toss it away. There'll always be more, that's what more means. You're buying stuff there's no way you can afford, and once it breaks down, buy another one and toss it out while you're still paying it off! It's a coincidental commentary on our society that they changed it back to the Fix it shop just when things were bottoming out from that mindset. Money's only valuable when you have none. but it WAS a staple of the series, other than the fact incompetence and greed made repair shops irrelevant culturally. Hence the Mail it Shop, which was supposed to be like Mail box Inc (or whatever it was) that was sort of popping up everywhere in that period too. hey! As long as Hooper's doesn't become a Starbucks... or WORSE! one of those places that charges 10 bucks for an over-rated cupcake.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. Joey should figure out someway to work BB into the show more. After all he's been the star since the show began. I agree that there is too much focus on the other other characters like Elmo and Abby. They should maybe give BB his own segment or at least play earlier sketches with him or something.

Your comparison with the Fix-It Shop hit the nail on the head (no pun intended); even when the old shop location became a laundromat two years ago, the writers were careful to imply that Maria and Luis had moved their Fix-It Shop somewhere else on the street. They couldn't risk hearing more fan protests or losing those toaster-repair gags, after all...
I've been wondering about that one as well. After all, though the FIS has been seen on the street, we haven't really seen Maria and Luis work there in the past couple seasons. They should write that into more eps. In fact, they could have used the Fix-It Shop in the 'Inspected by 4' episode. They were worried about the guy closing down Hooper's and the Laundromat, but there was no mention of the Fix-It Shop. The next thing on the list was the letter R! Anyway, I know I'm getting off the Big Bird topic, but I thought I'd point that out. I'll stop here.