"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

zns

Reaction score
I must say that I am very impressed with how the show has worked. The best part about it is that it gives today's generation a new look at all of the wonderful characters created by Warner Bros. Using Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck as the main characters of the show works perfectly. And the magazine format for the other characters works perfectly too. What also makes the show work is that the humor is geared towards everybody and works at a massive audience scale. Growing up watching the old cartoons as a child, this makes me love Bugs Bunny and friends even more so.:smile::smile::smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I enjoyed the show enough. But I must say I didn't care for what they did with Lola Bunny. Granted, Lola isn't a "classic Looney Tunes" character and was just added for "Space Jam." But in my view, making Lola an annoying "bubbly" somewhat "airheaded" character instead of the stonger and more athletic and "don't call me doll" character she was in Space Jam.

Little disappointed in that.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Yea I agree with you on that. I thought the episode was interesting but I liked Lola better the way she was on Space Jam.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I enjoyed the show enough. But I must say I didn't care for what they did with Lola Bunny. Granted, Lola isn't a "classic Looney Tunes" character and was just added for "Space Jam." But in my view, making Lola an annoying "bubbly" somewhat "airheaded" character instead of the stonger and more athletic and "don't call me doll" character she was in Space Jam.
I don't care for her being Kirsten Wiig... :big_grin:

Seriously, I don't know what to think about Lola Bunny. I mean, she comes across a little better than the standard Mary Sue type, and she definitely has character... but what way were they planning to use her, if any, in future projects?

The Looney Tunes has been a boys club, we all know that. The only girls included Petunia Pig and Granny... and that cat that kept getting sexually harassed by Pepe LePew. Other than Granny swatting Sylvester with a broom and the agressiveness of Witch Hazel, there's no real strong female presence. But did there have to be? Disney had Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck. Minnie and Mickey had a little awkwardness in the relationship, but no real tension between them... Daisy and Donald, however, had a VERY dysfunctional relationship. They still do.

But what of Looney Tunes? Sure, there was always that lame "Honey Bunny" who never appeared in any shorts, and the odd Mellisa Duck who DID appear a couple times. Lola was definatley added to Space Jam as something for female viewers, and she was retconned in some VERY unfortunate projects (Baby Looney Tunes, Loonatics Unleashed, even though that one TECHNICALLY was her decendant). It's a crying shame Amblin's partial ownership keeps Tiny Toon characters from being retconned.... Now, Babs Bunny? That was a VERY strong female character. A great role model PROVING girls can be funny, and showing Tress MacNeil's amazing voice talent (she impersonated everyone from Cher to Marge and Bart Simpson and strangest of all Bill Cosby). Sigh... too bad they couldn't throw a little Babs into Lola.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
My thoughts excatly.

Lola didn't even get a cameo of some sort for Looney Tunes: Back in action, :smile:.

But yeah, I think Lola could be a stong female character in the right light and in my opinion the way she was recently shown on "The Looney Tunes Show" wasn't the right light. I agree Babs Bunny is a stonger female presence than Lola (which helps explain way Babs is a personal favorite of mine from Tiny Toons.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lola didn't even get a cameo of some sort for Looney Tunes: Back in action, :smile:.
I swear she had a non-speaking role as a police officer... but I have to double check.

Now that I remember (and looked it up) she was also in Tweety's High Flying Adventures as a color commentator for Tweety's world round voyage. But then again, there weren't all that many LT projects that she could have been added too. Apparently, there was also a web short. I dunno about any DC comics Looney Tunes publications, I didn't follow that series close enough. I have some, just not much.

But yeah, I think Lola could be a stong female character in the right light and in my opinion the way she was recently shown on "The Looney Tunes Show" wasn't the right light. I agree Babs Bunny is a stonger female presence than Lola (which helps explain way Babs is a personal favorite of mine from Tiny Toons.)
From what I've seen of the segment, they were trying to portray her as... I dunno... I wouldn't so much say ditzy as completely scatterbrained and awkward. More disorganized than dopey. It works in the sense that they're making an "awkward date" type cartoon... but I can't say I cared for it... maybe I just dislike Kirsten a little too much.... really... every character she plays on SNL is exactly the same... nuts. And not in a fun way....

Babs is a special character... When they came up with the characters of Buster and Babs, instead of making one "protege" of Bugs, they split 2 parts of his personality into 2 characters... Buster got Bugs's coolness under pressure, slyness, and snarkiness... Babs got the wackiness and weirdness (associated closer to the earlier versions of Bugs), a brilliant play on the character. Plus, there was a great will they or won't they romance going.

To me, Lola should be a little more like Babs... not exactly like Babs, but just taking a cue and being more of a match for Bugs. It's like I'd want to see a short where her and Bugs are together... on a date or something, and Elmer's trying to bwast some wabbits, and Lola winds up pulling the same wacky survivalist stunts to keep them both safe. Something like that.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I swear she had a non-speaking role as a police officer... but I have to double check.
Maybe in a deleted scene, but she didn't have a cameo in the film proper. However, she was on a poster in the background of the scene with Kate trying to get Bugs to reinvent himself after they canned Daffy.

And I agree that making Lola ditsy (which is the right word for it) was a really bad move, especially since they only seemed to do it for the sake of a recycled sitcom plot. I'm not exactly a comedy genius, but I can think of at least a dozen different plots they could have introduced Lola into without making her so annoying!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe in a deleted scene, but she didn't have a cameo in the film proper. However, she was on a poster in the background of the scene with Kate trying to get Bugs to reinvent himself after they canned Daffy.
I think I got her confused with Ma Bear... I only saw it twice.

But I'm guessing she could have been in the movie but was cut... after all, the studio meddled the heck with that project... cutting out a Yakko, Wakko, and Dot cameo, adding a Scooby cameo for an advertisement for the movie (heh, I kinda liked that one, though), changing the opening and the ending and the plot, and they even cut out a came from the Daleks. I like the movie to an extent and all, but I WISH there was a Donner cut.

And I agree that making Lola ditsy (which is the right word for it) was a really bad move, especially since they only seemed to do it for the sake of a recycled sitcom plot. I'm not exactly a comedy genius, but I can think of at least a dozen different plots they could have introduced Lola into without making her so annoying!
I'm wondering if Kirstin had anything to do with the shaping of the character that way... seems she played her like ALL her other characters on SNL... annoying and mentally unstable. Works great for Kathy Lee Gifford, not so much Lola Bunny. OH well, at least she didn't shape the character to be like Gilly. Does ANYONE find Gilly funny?

Xerus

Reaction score
I really like the new Looney Tunes Show. The everyday stuff Bugs and Daffy get into reminds me a little of Seinfeld.

And I think it's interesting how the get some celebrity voices to voice the old characters like Fred Armisen as Speedy and Rene Auberjonois as Pepe Le Pew.

And I think the musical numbers were neat too. Especially Marvin's, I'm a Martian, song. And Yosemite Sam's, "Blow my stack!" song was so memorable. It's great hearing Maurice LaMarche voice Sam. And I also liked the episode where Sam stayed over Bugs and Daffy's house and acted unusually friendly to them while annoying them.

Oh, and I heard that the reason WB keeps switching voice artists is that they're worried if they give the Looney Tunes permanent voice artists, they would ask for more money every year, like Mel Blanc did.