Nickelodeon Petition

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said... I watched some Super Friends for the first time...

Almost died laughing.

Wow. So THAT'S that it was like before Super Heroes could actually hit people. Interesting.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you expect from 11 year olds? They all talk like Eric Cartman. And they don't even NEED to watch South Park. That show has the most biting realism in the portrayal of kids I've ever seen.

The problem is, we pretty much let "gay" and "retarded" both derogatory terms slip into our lingo when they really shouldn't have. There are people who accidentally manage to let the terms slip out, even if they support either community and don't mean to say it in a hateful manner. It's quite a challenge to purge ourselves of these words... though I will say there's been great stride in trying to get "retarded" off of people's lips. That other thing may take some time too. It's very unfortunate, and I don't like it... but we all have to learn to purge these words from our system, like swearing. I've tried months to stop dropping F bombs for no apparent reason, and keep falling back into it...
I understand that this petition was inpired by a kid, but still no apology from Gerbert for thoughtlessly posting a link such language here, but he promotes himself as a religious educator in YouTube clips on other threads. This petition also points to others attempting to shut down Spongebob for being too gay...go figure. The pointless fear people have can be so friggin' toxic. It's all terribly disappointing. I'm certain we can get the link removed, but it doesn't seem like anyone's taken it seriously.

I canceled my cable a while back so Nick's gone from my radar. I haven't cared much about the network since Zim left. Not that it should be run on a loop, but its cancelation marked a downgrade in quality that just doesn't interest me. It's all about the Hulu for me these days. They do have some Happy Tree Friends on it, but those get old quick.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I canceled my cable a while back so Nick's gone from my radar. I haven't cared much about the network since Zim left. Not that it should be run on a loop, but its cancelation marked a downgrade in quality that just doesn't interest me. It's all about the Hulu for me these days. They do have some Happy Tree Friends on it, but those get old quick.
I could give you horror stories about Nick. I honestly could. As for Zim... there's just so much that said "this show isn't going to make it" behind the scenes, and we all know why. Nick isn't really a creator friendly company... John K, the guy who created Angry beavers... a lot of these people don't exactly part ways on the best of terms when they were playing ball.

If you think about it, there was a LOT of stuff Johnny wanted that you could NEVER have in an American cartoon on a kid's channel. A lot of death and violence that would make complaint letters by bitter childless watchdogs flow like water. In fact, some of the stuff they even HAD in the series I'm surprised made it to air.

The bottom line? They REALLY should have simulcast the show on MTV the same way they did with Ren and Stimpy in the early 90's. Apparently, certain episodes they didn't want to broadcast on Nick ("We Wish you a Stinky Christmas" for one) ended up there. But by then the brainless reality shows started coming up and overpowering the network, and they didn't even see that option. So basically it was canned BECAUSE of the older fan base, and had they not sub licensed the series to another DVD company, they wouldn't have realized how successful it was after the show had been canned. Giving the show an incredibly terrible time slot didn't help things either.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Alright, I was wondering when we'd have a discussion like this. :excited:

Now here's my stance on things. I grew up in the 90's, so my fix of the Muppets was on reruns, save for Sesame Street. If I recall, The Muppet Show, Muppet Babies and Fraggle Rock both showed up on Nickelodeon, which seems to be the network this thread is about. Fair enough, they had Looney Tunes (One of my favorites of all time) as well as some kick arse original cartoons and live action shows (Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Double Dare, Are You Afraid of the Dark, to name a few), but because Nick stopped airing all these, nostalgia nerds, as I call them, say Nick betrayed them. :attitude:

I apologize if anyone mentioned this, but it all boils down to money. In order for these shows to air, the networks have to pay royalties whoever owns the rights to the show (In this case, paying JHC to air Fraggle Rock). Not to mention the networks are changing for the current generation. Sure, there's some shows that I'd rather not watch like Big Time Rush (I thought Boy Bands died a long time ago) or the later episodes of SpongeBob, but these are shows that are popular with today's generation. Heck, people older than us back in the 90's/80's probably hated what we watched.

Now if you want betrayal, look no further than Disney Channel. :boo: I could write about them until the cows come home, but I doubt anyone'd like to read a novel of my dislike for modern Disney.

Gerbert

Reaction score
WHEW! I apologise Everyone. I have'int even Read The Petition Yet. Before everyone Trolls me For That Well sorry. We all Know that The Only Good shows On TV Are Tom and Jerry, Full house, and Sesame Street. I dont think Spongebob is Gonna get Better unless C.H. Greenblatt comes Back. Well that's My Opinion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alright, I was wondering when we'd have a discussion like this. :excited:

Now here's my stance on things. I grew up in the 90's, so my fix of the Muppets was on reruns, save for Sesame Street. If I recall, The Muppet Show, Muppet Babies and Fraggle Rock both showed up on Nickelodeon, which seems to be the network this thread is about. Fair enough, they had Looney Tunes (One of my favorites of all time) as well as some kick arse original cartoons and live action shows (Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Double Dare, Are You Afraid of the Dark, to name a few), but because Nick stopped airing all these, nostalgia nerds, as I call them, say Nick betrayed them. :attitude:

I apologize if anyone mentioned this, but it all boils down to money. In order for these shows to air, the networks have to pay royalties whoever owns the rights to the show (In this case, paying JHC to air Fraggle Rock). Not to mention the networks are changing for the current generation. Sure, there's some shows that I'd rather not watch like Big Time Rush (I thought Boy Bands died a long time ago) or the later episodes of SpongeBob, but these are shows that are popular with today's generation. Heck, people older than us back in the 90's/80's probably hated what we watched.
SILENCE, everybody! He speaks the truth! They aren't betraying ANYTHING, because we're too old to matter for that stuff anyway. We're supposed to watch [adult swim] and reality crap and only BUY T-shirts of the old shows, and that's the only nostalgia that matters. These network heads ARE too dense to know that adults watch this stuff too. Writers and animators know. Even Tiny Toons made references to it when it first started. But network execs don't care about how many adults watch a kid's show. Otherwise Zim wouldn't have been canned so abruptly. Again, they may make DVD's that they don't intend to finish off and T-shirts, but they don't care if we're watching this stuff because we're not 10 year olds... even if we buy all those things 10 year olds buy. And we do, don't we?

Now if you want betrayal, look no further than Disney Channel. :boo: I could write about them until the cows come home, but I doubt anyone'd like to read a novel of my dislike for modern Disney.
I like Phineas and Ferb, but it shouldn't be the ONLY TV cartoon series they make, lemme put it that way. I could put a big long rant about their live action tweencoms, but I won't. They AREN'T the end all be all to television. They can ALL co-exist, but network heads are too chicken to do their OWN thing, look at Cartoon Network. I mean REALLY... Saved by the Bell, Power Rangers, and Sid and Marty Krofft shows didn't completely derail the production of animated programming. They only had a couple knockoffs, and they were localized only to ONE channel. Now it's like, if we don't completely steals someone else's show, we have no chance of getting the exact same people who watch the original to watch the halfbaked copy. And that's EVERYWHERE... all demographics. That's why TV sucks now. Everything's the dang same!

I'd like to think Disney is moving away from their tweeny shows... they don't merchandise them half as much, especially since they've worn their welcome... Jonas stuff was on deep clearance and didn't even budge there. But there's still a ways to go. As long as they have Marvel heroes to make cartoons out of, they'll change things back to boy's cartoons in time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
WHEW! I apologise Everyone. I have'int even Read The Petition Yet. Before everyone Trolls me For That Well sorry. We all Know that The Only Good shows On TV Are Tom and Jerry, Full house, and Sesame Street. I dont think Spongebob is Gonna get Better unless C.H. Greenblatt comes Back. Well that's My Opinion.
Who doesn't read a petition before signing it? :rolleyes: Wow, and it's considered trolling to call someone on starting a thread in support of a statement that includes a terribly bigoted slur and then avoid responsibility while promoting yourself in other threads. What a way to make friends. Not a very heart-felt apology and I doubt you'd have the same feelings if derogative terms had been used to describe people of faith, but I'll still take it and move on. Just know that sort of intolerance is not tolerated here. Thank you for being more thoughtful in the future.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do shows that are long canceled even count? Plus, Full House is okay... if you want a REAL classic sitcom, watch yerself some Get Smart.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But network execs don't care about how many adults watch a kid's show. Otherwise Zim wouldn't have been canned so abruptly.
Very true. I also believe that networks are just as responsible - especially ABC's cancelation fo Muppets Tonight. Zim was a great show that wasn't targeted correctly. Nick, Fox or somebody should create a 24 hour network like what Adult Swim was supposed to be. Too many clever things are dumbed-down over time for the kiddies.

Gerbert

Reaction score
I did'int Sign it for one thing. And can We Close This thread? It's getting out of Hand.