Nickelodeon Petition

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is just more annoying fan boy whining, and not addressing an actual issue. If there's one thing I hate it's when people say a network sucks because they don't make Invader Zim, Batman TAS, and Animaniacs anymore. Get OVER it. If you were to say, "Cartoon Network should never now or ever have live action shows in it's line up." I support that. This is "My favorite show is canceled! Bring it back!" stuff that lumps any of us with REAL complaints into the same group. Therefore, they don't listen to people that have valid complaints.

Oh, and VERY classy and mature use of the of "Fagboy." :mad:

Gerbert

Reaction score
Jeez Louis. Who Peed in Your cornflakes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Immature fanboys that want Invader Zim to be played on an infinite loop because they don't want to expand their horizons. That's who.

This is the reason no one reads petitions anymore.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but NOTHING gets on my nerves worse than anyone who says "cartoons aren't good anymore because I'm too old to enjoy what kid's like today." That's rubbish, and an insult to everyone who works hard to actually get a show. You know how HARD it is to get a cartoon series on these days?

There's always something on, you just have to look for it

Nickelodeon, sorry to say, isn't trying to please you. I wish they'd open up their vaults and run these online or put all of them on DVD too, but to stop the progression of new shows, especially if they're animated (a rare commodity these days) is selfish. Sure, there's a lot of crap I hate and complain about, but I don't lump an entire generation into it.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The petition itself's not a bad idea. But the way it's written won't be taken seriously or have any impact. When you're trying to influence a big company to make a major decision, the idea needs to be presented professionally with specific courses of action and without emotional angry language. I appreciate what the kid who started it is trying to do and while i hate to discourage youth from getting involved with active change, most 11 year olds don't have the ability/maturity to write an effective petition. (Not that it can't be done, but this a very effective example of how NOT to do it.)

And indeed, even if i fully supported it (and i do hate what Nick has become compared to earlier eras), i would not sign anything that uses words like fagboys.

When writing such things, keep the tone calm and professional; not emotional rants. Even if someone who matters ever sees it, they'll glance at it for five seconds and then dismiss it as nutcase ramblings. No gutter language or sentiments. Specific problems and ways to correct them need to be outlined - not just "make it stop sucking" which is what this reads like.

The idea's noble. But if the author of the petition is really serious, they should take some time to research how to write a petition - we're talking library books and not looking over other random examples on the net which may be making the same (if not worse) mistakes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When writing such things, keep the tone calm and professional; not emotional rants. Even if someone who matters ever sees it, they'll glance at it for five seconds and then dismiss it as nutcase ramblings. No gutter language or sentiments. Specific problems and ways to correct them need to be outlined - not just "make it stop sucking" which is what this reads like.

The idea's noble. But if the author of the petition is really serious, they should take some time to research how to write a petition - we're talking library books and not looking over other random examples on the net which may be making the same (if not worse) mistakes.

Petitions like these are why no one reads serious petitions with serious complaints, well worded, bullet pointed and suggestion filled. I agree... this is "Make it stop sucking" and nothing more. I actually was about to check it out and maybe sign, but all I found was the content of a an angry Facebook page or a poorly typed comment on Youtube.

Glad someone else pointed out the use of derogatory slang. I'm surprised the word "retarded" wasn't used throughout either. You make multiple points I was too annoyed to make myself. This is going to go no where for all those reasons and more.

And quite frankly, anyone who's hoping for Invader Zim to return is kidding themselves. Sure, Viacom and John K eventually played nicey nice 10+ years later, but if Nick is good at anything, it's burning bridges when it comes to creators. Even if Nick wanted to jump on Zim's posthumous cult popularity, Johnny V ain't coming back. His experience at Nick was so bad that he vowed never to get into televised animation ever again.

As a cartoon fan and animator who'll never make it himself, we should be thankful there's ANY cartoons on Nick at all. They could just as easily dump the format for tweeny bopper sitcoms, and the only animation that would be on is their preschool programming line up.

And as I said in "Decline of Entertainment" are you kidding? Sure, it's not the 90's-2003 anymore, probably the best time for animation since the 60's, but we're not dealing with the idiotic rules, regulations, and whatevers from the 70's-80's. If we ever see garbage like Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Yogi's Space Race, Pink Panther and Son or Popeye and son ever again, THEN we can complain.

Yorick

Reaction score
And as I said in "Decline of Entertainment" are you kidding? Sure, it's not the 90's-2003 anymore, probably the best time for animation since the 60's, but we're not dealing with the idiotic rules, regulations, and whatevers from the 70's-80's. If we ever see garbage like Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Yogi's Space Race, Pink Panther and Son or Popeye and son ever again, THEN we can complain.
There are so many shows out now, on many many channels, that make all of those shows you mentioned look like gold :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but NO. That stuff was an absolute disgrace, and it shows you probably don't know all about the terrible state animation was in those periods. At the very least these "bad" shows were actually created BY people, not by big board rooms or middle aged old farts (that's everything BUT the animation industry now). The problem with animation today IS the lack of it. We've got so little shows out there. The only one of them I can safely say IS trash would be Bakugan, and that's not even from this country. Pokemon is that "holy moley... that's STILL on?" show.

There's no secret that things declines due to the rising popularity of live action tween-coms (blech) and the rise of health fascists (double blech)... but hey, we've only got ONE cartoon on TV based on a movie. We've never had that few. And while I can't say that's a terrible genre, since Ghostbusters was arguably a better cartoon than a movie, and it was a GREAT movie, there were a LOT of movies that didn't deserve a series based on them. Evolution and The Mummy come to my mind. And that one movie was basically a product of Dreamworks and Paramount having some sort of partnership. Most cartoons now are original creations. Chowder, Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, Avatar... and the rest are comic book cartoons. And granted, Brave and the Bold is no Batman TAS (it's still extremely enjoyable mind you, as long as you pay heed to Batman's legacy on the whole), Wolverine and the X-men and Spectacular Spider-Man (which will clearly be canned after the second season no thanks to the WB) are actually better put together than their 1990's counterparts.

The REAL injustice is the death of broadcast Saturday Morning cartoons, and if you read enough of my posts, you'll know why. it's basically ABC's reruns of the Disney Channel (Hey, ABC? The Replacements and Emperor's New School have been over for years. Air more episodes on Saturdays already!), NBC is reruns of the qubo channel (Babar is cute, but the only thing I watch is Jacob Two-Two), CBS has Cookie Jar's flash animated junk (but at LEast it's original programming), and CW4Kids basically has to hold everything together with endless Sonic X and Yu-Gi-Oh reruns, especially since they're losing TMNT this August to Nickelodeon. Everyone else runs lame Career oriented or cheap nature programs at 6 AM and reuns reruns the rest of the morning. THAT'S the injustice. I would start a petition to send to Washington to regulate the amount of hours a day a network can run of infomercials.

Yorick

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but NO. That stuff was an absolute disgrace, and it shows you probably don't know all about the terrible state animation was in those periods. At the very least these "bad" shows were actually created BY people, not by big board rooms or middle aged old farts (that's everything BUT the animation industry now).
I respect your opinion, and both of your reasons for disdain for that era (you don't like the shows, and you don't like the board rooms deciding the shows) - but as far as my post showing I "probably don't know all about the terrible state animation was in those periods" - I can only reply as so:

I read your take on things, and appreciate your knowledge, definitely! However, I also know what I like, and I like those shows (some of them) in spite of whoever came up with the ideas. And I like them more than so many new shows (even the old shows that I'm neutral about) - but again, I appreciate that you are more open to the new stuff. I can promise you this - I don't dislike most new stuff because it's new - I just dislike it because it doesn't feel right to me. As I said in another thread about live-action stuff, I can't exactly put it into words, but...it is what it is...