Possible future Lionsgate Henson DVD releases

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Here's an old e-mail sent to Tough Pigs about what Disney owns:

"In this transaction, Disney purchased all titles with Muppet content. This includes from television the three main Muppet series (Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, Muppet Babies), the Muppet-related segments (but not the Storyteller segments) of The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet interstitials (Muppet Time / Muppetisms) and the three episodes of Little Muppet Monsters."[/quote]
"From the movies, the deal included The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper as well as Muppet Meeting Films and the Henson company's ownership of all other Muppet movies.

"In terms of TV specials and direct-to-video, the transaction included Muppet-Show related titles as well as The Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Tale of the Bunny Picnic, and Mr Willowby's Christmas Tree."

"Like you, we're big fans of the Muppets as well, and we're also well aware of the passionate dedication of Muppet fans worldwide. We hope to do right by the fans. Thanks for your interest."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean, they took a part of it off of YouTube.
Considering them, it could very well be ANYTHING that caused them to take it down. Clips of Fraggle Rock, clips of Sesame Street that appeared in 20 Years that they think they own... so it could very well be split up. However, if they haggle enough, we could very well see it at some point by either Disney/Lionsgate or a sublicensing between the two. The problem is, if they were planning to release the whole thing, the whole thing would have been blocked. So that raises concern.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Here's an old e-mail sent to Tough Pigs about what Disney owns:

"In this transaction, Disney purchased all titles with Muppet content. This includes from television the three main Muppet series (Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, Muppet Babies), the Muppet-related segments (but not the Storyteller segments) of The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet interstitials (Muppet Time / Muppetisms) and the three episodes of Little Muppet Monsters."
"From the movies, the deal included The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper as well as Muppet Meeting Films and the Henson company's ownership of all other Muppet movies.

"In terms of TV specials and direct-to-video, the transaction included Muppet-Show related titles as well as The Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Tale of the Bunny Picnic, and Mr Willowby's Christmas Tree."

"Like you, we're big fans of the Muppets as well, and we're also well aware of the passionate dedication of Muppet fans worldwide. We hope to do right by the fans. Thanks for your interest."

What about "A Muppet Family Christmas" and John Denvor christmas muppet shows?

muppet boy

Reaction score
Apparently, Disney owns the rights to A Muppet Family Christmas. In therory, since the muppet show has been released unedited, they could attain musice rights for this specail too. In pracitcality, the special will probably not see an offical release for a while, since disney is bad on releasing specials.

John Dencer is a little bit harder. As far as I know, Disney does not own that special. I believe John Denver's holding company has the rights to it...or something like that.

What really gets me though is universal releasing The Muppet Christmas Movie. I THOUGHT Disney had the rights to that one. Oh well. Maybe when the new muppet movie is released we will see new releases of these specails.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I'd like to see Lionsgate release, and it might be a longshot, is Aliens in the Family. Of course unless the cast included any regular celebrities "before they were stars" then I don't expect an official release. None of those characters are very iconic and it didn't last long (moving from prime time to saturday morning after only two weeks, and at the time my local ABC station aired local news instead of the ABC saturday mornign line-up).

Back in the Hit! days HIT! released a DVD of various HIT! properties. It's a shame they didn't release a DVD mix of Henson programs. I'd like to see Lionsgate do this. Maybe a few single-disc releases of less popular Henson programs (maybe even headlines by an episode of Fraggle Rock or Sid the Science Kid or something real popular to get casual fans to buy it). Maybe call it a "Jim Henson Series Collection".

A few ideal (okay, some may not be that ideal in my mind):

Volume 1
  • Fraggle Rock episode
  • Mother Goose Stories episode (3-4 episodes would probably be a better deal)
  • Dog City episode
  • Aliens in the Family episode

Or perhaps when a few Mother Goose Stories are included (since each episode was only five minutes and there were never any official half-hour pairings) it could also include something bonus like The Fraggles Search for Jobs, Doozer Music, or Land of Tinkerdee.

Volume 2
  • Sid the Science Kid episode
  • The Ghost of Faffner Hall episode
  • The Secret Life of Toys episode
  • Citykids episode

Something like that. Or maybe two additional Henson series episodes can be included.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm concerned... they haven't given us a word on any future releases of anything in some time now. And I REALLY wanted to see Dog City at some point.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm concerned... they haven't given us a word on any future releases of anything in some time now. And I REALLY wanted to see Dog City at some point.
I hope the deal hasn't ended already. I don't know how well the releases sold, though I'd suspect Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting probably sold as well as the average Sesame Street release. Is there any way of knowing DVD sales?

Some of the releases have been hard to find. I've only seen copies of Fraggle Rock: The Animated Series at Best Buy, I haven't seen many copies of The Animal Show (though I haven't really been interested in those) or Song of the Cloud Forrest. It took 3-4 weeks for me to find a copy of Dog City (and now I see it at almost every store that sells DVDs). I still haven't found a physical copy of Henson's Place. Has anybody seen that in stores? Is it normally in the "documentaries" or "kids/family" section? I hope that it becomes more common to find when The Muppets comes out this thanksgiving (and yes, I've checked sections of stores where the majority of Muppet DVDs are sold).