Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have to say, Muppet Oz is undoubtedly the reason why Corey Edwards was freaking out when they mentioned the word "edgy." Rushed or no rushed, the movie was grasping desperately for different demographics. They wanted jaded adults who remember the Muppets, but would rather see the Muppets cutscenes on Family Guy, Robot Chicken sketches, or (worst of all, and never even funny) college humor dot com cartoons that steal jokes from the other two, making them even longer and less funny. And also, especially due to the pop star stunt casting and forced American Idol tie ins, tweenyboppers who only want to wear Kermit on a shirt because it's retro. And I don't mean it seemed rushed... it WAS! They wanted something so Disney could say "this is what we're planning to do, stockholders." Especially with the pile of better scripts and stories that were piling up.

VMX... well, other than the fact the style of humor is dated, and half of it is an NBC commercial, it manages to be edgy, get the older crowd... but it still worked. MFS, well... that sucked because the director was a schmuck. His masterpiece was the Chipmunk movie... they let the vision of the movie go to the same genius that would later say... "No no NO! Only Garfield should be a CGI semi-anthro character. Everyone else MUST be real! But with super imposed mouths!" Yeah! I bet that's how Kurosawa or Hitchcock would have done it. :stick_out_tongue:

LTS, I feel is one of the best projects in years... BUT it seemed like they had a longer special planned, and NBC told them to cut it short by like an hour last minute, leaving them to sort of rush through it. I have a feeling that the real original script had more scenes with the other characters missing Kermit or something. That's what it really needed to make it great... another half hour. but that would mean no "Biggest Loser special: Throw Tomatoes at the Contestants Until they Cry."

That said... if you just showed a bunch of people a C grade loud, obnoxious, current pop culture movie and say "This is what we're gonna do," we wouldn't see so much as a T-shirt! Disney really wants to move on from that debacle and they're being very careful so they can make something that's at LEAST almost MTM quality.
See, I guess I'm in the minority, because I hated VMX movie as I thought the humor felt forced and tried to jam in too much stuff that was popular at the time it came out. LTS was a little bit more of an improvement, but was still missing something in my mind.

Muppets From Space is the worst lol

Mupp

Reaction score
I hate how a tiny miscommunication or hypothetical gets overblon like that.
I know exactly what you mean. I hate it too.

So with that in mind, it doesn't hurt to mention it again;

THE NEW MUPPET MOVIE WILL NOT BE CGI. GET OVER IT

I'm sorry to act so harsh but really guys, this is getting ridiculous. STOP mentioning it. :rolleyes:

(THE NEW MUPPET MOVIE WILL NOT BE CGI.)

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. I hate it too.

So with that in mind, it doesn't hurt to mention it again;

THE NEW MUPPET MOVIE WILL NOT BE CGI. GET OVER IT

I'm sorry to act so harsh but really guys, this is getting ridiculous. STOP mentioning it. :rolleyes:

(THE NEW MUPPET MOVIE WILL NOT BE CGI.)
So . . . you're saying that the new Muppet movie will be CGI?

:stick_out_tongue:

Mupp

Reaction score
Besides Tron Legacy, I certainly hope that Disney will look to Pixar for advice on more of their live-action films.

beaker

Reaction score
Looks like they are about to start filming on the muppet movie rather soon(see very bottom of this interview)
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68216

There were a few things about Very Muppet Christmas that I liked, chiefly the scenes that take place in the theater. Same with MFS, I really loved the first part of the film(until it gets into the government agent stuff) And I liked LTS a lot, but as has been pointed out it feels extremely truncated. LTS though has a definite film look to it, which is nice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Besides Tron Legacy, I certainly hope that Disney will look to Pixar for advice on more of their live-action films.
With... out... a... doubt! I said that before, actually. They were burned badly by that summer movie I mentioned, but people are STILL seeing Toy Story 3.

Mupp

Reaction score
Looks like they are about to start filming on the muppet movie rather soon(see very bottom of this interview)
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68216
The one thing that I hate is that someone made a comment on that article (page 2) saying that the Muppets are
"a stupid reboot of a long-and rightfully-dead franchise."

That really got my blood boiling.

Anyone who hates the Muppets has no soul.

Mupp

Reaction score
With... out... a... doubt! I said that before, actually. They were burned badly by that summer movie I mentioned, but people are STILL seeing Toy Story 3.
Yup.

Heck, most of Disney's live-action movies have always been corny.

"The Cat From Outer Space"

"Blackbeard's Ghost"

Just to name a couple.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The one thing that I hate is that someone made a comment on that article (page 2) saying that the Muppets are
"a stupid reboot of a long-and rightfully-dead franchise."

That really got my blood boiling.

Anyone who hates the Muppets has no soul.
I find much of the weird (and rare) Muppet hate actually comes from a distain of puppets and not the Muppet brand or projects as a whole. I've even heard some equate Muppets to clowns. Clowns are just plain creepy IMHO and have nothing to do with Kermit and the gang. Some people are just going to hate. However, the Muppets do have a way to go to rehabilitate their image to the masses. There has to be a reason to make a Muppet movie other than the fact that Muppets are featured. There has to be a good story to tell, quality songs and timeless humor. Most post-Jim projects have been lacking in one or more of those departments so it’s a good thing Pixar is throwing some suggestions at it.