Jason Segel talks The Muppets and his inspiration

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Nice interview--thanks for posting it! I'm continually impressed by just how smart and funny Jason Segel is, and I can't wait to see what the new Muppet movie brings. I like that he really likes the Muppets. Always a good sign.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more, I was apprehensive about a new muppet movie as Oz was pretty poor, but this guy LOVES them and it isnt about making a quick buck.
I cant wait for this. I think the whole vampire scene in FSM just proves hes genuine too. EEeeepp! So happy! Cant wait! It may actually be back to the adult humour it used to be. *fingers crossed*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more, I was apprehensive about a new muppet movie as Oz was pretty poor, but this guy LOVES them and it isnt about making a quick buck.
Oohh... Well, I can tell you for a fact they'd never EVER try to make a film like Oz again. You wouldn't eat something that made you very sick one time. The whole Oz project was rushed (even though the script, out of a bunch of GOOD ones, was made well before the Disney sale), and it grabbed too many demographics, and it failed at being edgy forgetting how they sort of succeeded in VMX. Plus, if they're going theatric with this release, they ain't cheaping out and making it look like a neon nightmare like Oz did. Oh, the stuff I could rant about Oz. And doing a classic retelling was pretty ill advised anyway (the dudes who do the comics managed to get it right, though).

It should be noted that HE went to Disney to get them to make this movie. And that's something I think is just grand.

Mupp

Reaction score
Oohh... Well, I can tell you for a fact they'd never EVER try to make a film like Oz again. You wouldn't eat something that made you very sick one time. The whole Oz project was rushed (even though the script, out of a bunch of GOOD ones, was made well before the Disney sale), and it grabbed too many demographics, and it failed at being edgy forgetting how they sort of succeeded in VMX. Plus, if they're going theatric with this release, they ain't cheaping out and making it look like a neon nightmare like Oz did. Oh, the stuff I could rant about Oz. And doing a classic retelling was pretty ill advised anyway (the dudes who do the comics managed to get it right, though).

It should be noted that HE went to Disney to get them to make this movie. And that's something I think is just grand.
I agree!

Oh, and just to get something off my chest; there is this jerk who periodically makes comments on Jim Hill articles, and this person has zero faith in the Muppets, and feels that they are lame has-beens.
And its obvious that this person just hates the Muppets, regardless of Disney's involvement.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Oh, and just to get something off my chest; there is this jerk who periodically makes comments on Jim Hill articles, and this person has zero faith in the Muppets, and feels that they are lame has-beens.

And its obvious that this person just hates the Muppets, regardless of Disney's involvement.
Totally!

I think you're referring to Gigglesock, if I'm correct.

I too can't stand a lot of those Muppet-haters out there either. Gigglesock and many of his fellow Muppet-bashers are obviously extreme Disney traditionalists who have a freakish distaste for the Muppets and they like to think that it was a mistake for Disney acquire the Muppets, Marvel, etc., in addition to dissimissing them as "old", "tired", "worn-out", "extremely unpopular" and other extremely negative things.

They even go so far as to resort to the always-convenient, but rarely with merit, "Walt theoreticals", saying that "Walt never would've bought the Muppets, he would've created his own characters"; "Walt's spinning in his grave"; "The Muppets are old socks and need to go back into Jim Henson's sock drawer", "Nobody wants to see the Muppets in Disney ads--they want to see Mickey and other REAL Disney characters" and other ridiculous, disgusting trash like that.

And to make matters worse, they even enjoy pointing fingers by saying that the Muppets, Marvel and other acquired properties have been taking the spotlight away from Disney's own classic characters/creations and thus accuse Disney of neglecting characters/properties that they already own and have owned for many decades.

Well...Disney has NOT railroaded their classic characters out of the spotlight! They continue to recieve very frequent exposure along with the Muppets, who ARE part of the Disney family now, whether you like it or not.

There are even some Anonymous comments that have been posted on another blog called "Blue Sky Disney" (http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/). I can't help but assume that one of the big Muppet-haters there is Jim Hill Media's Gigglesock entering comments as Anonymous.

I sure do wish that we could send the Muppet monsters after those haters to eat them alive or send :mad: to karate chop each and every one of them REALLY hard.

There, I finally got that off my chest. I feel a little bit better now.

Mupp

Reaction score
Totally!

I think you're referring to Gigglesock, if I'm correct.

I too can't stand a lot of those Muppet-haters out there either. Gigglesock and many of his fellow Muppet-bashers are obviously extreme Disney traditionalists who have a freakish distaste for the Muppets and they like to think that it was a mistake for Disney acquire the Muppets, Marvel, etc., in addition to dissimissing them as "old", "tired", "worn-out", "extremely unpopular" and other extremely negative things.

They even go so far as to resort to the always-convenient, but rarely with merit, "Walt theoreticals", saying that "Walt never would've bought the Muppets, he would've created his own characters"; "Walt's spinning in his grave"; "The Muppets are old socks and need to go back into Jim Henson's sock drawer", "Nobody wants to see the Muppets in Disney ads--they want to see Mickey and other REAL Disney characters" and other ridiculous, disgusting trash like that.

And to make matters worse, they even enjoy pointing fingers by saying that the Muppets, Marvel and other acquired properties have been taking the spotlight away from Disney's own classic characters/creations and thus accuse Disney of neglecting characters/properties that they already own and have owned for many decades.

Well...Disney has NOT railroaded their classic characters out of the spotlight! They continue to recieve very frequent exposure along with the Muppets, who ARE part of the Disney family now, whether you like it or not.

There are even some Anonymous comments that have been posted on another blog called "Blue Sky Disney" (http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/). I can't help but assume that one of the big Muppet-haters there is Jim Hill Media's Gigglesock entering comments as Anonymous.

I sure do wish that we could send the Muppet monsters after those haters to eat them alive or send :mad: to karate chop each and every one of them REALLY hard.

There, I finally got that off my chest. I feel a little bit better now.
Yes, that was the guy I was referring too.

I am also familar with those Muppet bashes who post as anonymous on the Blue Sky Disney Blog. On some of those muppet discussions on that blog, if you see any anonymous comments that are defending the Muppets, chances are that some of those are mine.

And I agree with everything you said.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Yes, that was the guy I was referring too.

I am also familar with those Muppet bashes who post as anonymous on the Blue Sky Disney Blog. On some of those muppet discussions on that blog, if you see any anonymous comments that are defending the Muppets, chances are that some of those are mine.

And I agree with everything you said.
And another thing: anyone who hates the Muppets has no soul, IMO.